PDA

View Full Version : New Stone Temple Pilots

Spudman
May 21st, 2010, 09:54 PM
Catch the album stream here. Sounds good.
http://www.billboard.com/#/news/stone-temple-pilots-exclusive-album-debut-1004092887.story?tag=hpflash1

deeaa
May 21st, 2010, 10:56 PM
Damn! Great news! I always really liked Stone Temple Pilots, particularly for their attitude with not making 'hit' music or too polished stuff. Their '#4' album is downright hard to listen to in long stretches because of the aggressive sounds and hard hitting music and punk attitude, but it's a masterpiece IMO.

At quick listen this newcomers sounds a bit more mainstream but they certainly still have a pretty recognizable style&guitar sounds in particular. Their guitarist, whoever he is, always was one of my heroes too.

Eric
May 22nd, 2010, 08:32 PM
Damn! Great news! I always really liked Stone Temple Pilots, particularly for their attitude with not making 'hit' music or too polished stuff. Their '#4' album is downright hard to listen to in long stretches because of the aggressive sounds and hard hitting music and punk attitude, but it's a masterpiece IMO.
I always felt like they were the whipping boys of 90s alt-rock because they took alternative music and made it arena-ready with huge hooks. I agree that their later albums became a little bit more difficult, but I own and love all of them.

I particularly love that Doors-y closer on that album, "Atlanta." Totally non-STP-like, but a really cool song.

At quick listen this newcomers sounds a bit more mainstream but they certainly still have a pretty recognizable style&guitar sounds in particular. Their guitarist, whoever he is, always was one of my heroes too.
Funny. Even though I don't play bass much -- like not as a real bassist -- I always really liked Robert DeLeo, their bassist. I think he wrote almost all of their good stuff, and the funny part is that he has always been mired in the 70s and obsessed with bands like KISS. Interesting how those concepts, when applied in a different time, can sound so different.

Radioboy950
May 22nd, 2010, 09:47 PM
This new album has a great classic rock, '70s vibe, versus some of the stoner rock that I remember from them.

I saw them when they got back out on tour (before this record) and they were TIGHT! They sounded spectacular. They showed up on time, and not once did Scott fall down. That show was 5 out of 5 stars.

They were great on Leno a couple nights ago too.