PDA

View Full Version : Which small Fender amp?

Radioboy950
May 22nd, 2010, 05:30 PM
Which do you think is the better bang for the buck...

Fender Pro Junior
or
Fender Blues Junior

A good clean is important. For dirty stuff, I'd stomp on an OCD or Suhr Riot pedal.

Katastrophe
May 22nd, 2010, 06:26 PM
I dunno, but out of the two I would look at the Blues Junior over the Pro Junior. 12" Speaker, master volume, more EQ control and Fender on board reverb would be worth the extra cash.

Heywood Jablomie
May 22nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
You might also want to check out the Super Champ XD. Similar tube circuitry, also 15 watts, and a bunch of effects, yet much less expensive than Juniors.

ZMAN
May 22nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
I have a Blues Junior Special edition with the Jensen speaker. An excellent amp all around. Great reverb, can be tweaked to death. There are web sites that give hundreds of settings for it. Takes pedals extremely well. I also have the Fulltone OCD, Fulldrive II, fat boost and mini deja vibe, and all sound excellent through it. I have also run it through a 2/12 Avatar cab and it sounded really good. Got my vote. Oh and BTW the best selling amp ever by Fender!

Robert
May 22nd, 2010, 07:41 PM
Pro junior, no contest.

Radioboy950
May 22nd, 2010, 07:46 PM
I have a Blues Junior Special edition with the Jensen speaker.

Found this quick Jr. shootout on YouTube, and I'd have to agree I like the Jensen speaker...and the tweed covering.
But the standard edition is perfectly acceptable too.

wG-fGrbHJhc

otaypanky
May 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
I have one of the tweed Jrs, a surprisingly good and capable amp. I tried a Pro Jr and although it had a nice tone down at low volume it didn't hang in there very long. I didn't think it was an amp you could play out with where I have with the Jr many times
I sold a Gibson Goldtone GA15 last week, 15 watts and a 10" Celestion. That was a lot more amp in my opinion than the Pro Jr with a very similar format ~

markb
May 23rd, 2010, 01:42 AM
I've had both, I preferred the PJ for basically overdriven tones and the BJ for cleaner stuff. Either could do the vaguely tweedy od thing.
The reverb on the BJ was horrible so I'd sooner live without or use a delay pedal in "hard reverb" mode.
The master on the BJ is handy at practice levels but the way to get the best out of these (imo) is to open up the master to 12 and dial in as much preamp as you need. That takes the brakes off nicely, then use the guitar volume.
With a PJ you'll get that kind of thing going on anywhere on the right hand side of the volume knob. It gets loud fast.

ZMAN
May 23rd, 2010, 06:04 AM
Well mine isn't a Tweed special edition. I have owned several Fender amps and the reverb is as good as any of them.
I bet you haven't seen too many like this.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/Sheraton.jpg
It is exactly the same as the Tweed blues Junior Special edition but in Brown tolex with the wheat front and beige chicken head knobs. I love it.

otaypanky
May 23rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
Mine too Zman, the verb sounds pretty good.
I have a Jensen Electric Lightning in mine now and it's a good match ~

duhvoodooman
May 23rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
The reverb on the older "green board" Blues Jrs. was pretty much universally reviled, and was completely redesigned for the newer "cream board" version. I have one of those, and it may not be the greatest reverb in the world, but it's far from bad.

I'd vote for the Blues Jr., but that Super Champ XD is said to be a very cool amp and a tremendous value.

birv2
May 23rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Depends on your needs, but I find the PJ to be plenty loud for a small venue. I'm always being asked to turn down at jams, and that's about 1/3 of the way up. I put a Ragin Cajun and JJ's in mine, and it's now my Official Secret Weapon.

I ALWAYS get wow comments. Clapton, Beck, and Warren Haynes use them. Pretty good company!

ZMAN
May 24th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Mine too Zman, the verb sounds pretty good.
I have a Jensen Electric Lightning in mine now and it's a good match ~

Here's an old clip of it using a bit more verb than I would typically play with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3IFk90BXwU

Do you mean you have a Brown one, or you think the reverb is good?
The reason I am asking is that I have only spoken to one other guy online that had the Brown Edition.

Jipes
May 24th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I got to play both on stage in the pas with my blues trio but the Blues Junior is more versatile, more power, more bass better clean sound at higher volume :AOK

Tone2TheBone
May 24th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Blues Jr. Great little amp.

Radioboy950
May 24th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Great feedback guys!
Thanks for all the insight.

drunkinminer
May 30th, 2010, 12:29 PM
SCXD vote here as well. I will never part with mine. If fact i have a chance to get a Peavey Nashville and my GF said if I was going to sell the SCXD I said no chance is hell honey. But then again she doesn't understand.

otaypanky
May 30th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Do you mean you have a Brown one, or you think the reverb is good?
The reason I am asking is that I have only spoken to one other guy online that had the Brown Edition.

I meant the verb was decent ~