PDA

View Full Version : iPod recent bands list?

deeaa
May 22nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
How about posting a list of 20 last bands you heard on your iPod - or get on random if you press and didn't/wouldn't skip to next songs?

Maybe it'd give some new bands to listen to/ideas? Here's mine:

Saigon Kick
The Presidents of the United States of America
Gluecifer
The Black Keys
Audrey Horne
Danko Jones
Buckcherry
Type O Negative
Foo Fighters
Disturbed
Hoodoo Gurus
Reef
Mustasch
Joni Mitchell
AC/DC
Au Pair
Iron Maiden
Armored Saint
Pantera
Billy Talent

Radioboy950
May 22nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
Good idea...

Alice in Chains
Alice Cooper
Thin Lizzy
Godsmack
UFO
Weezer
Them Crooked Vultures
T. REX
The Panic Channel
Loser (w/John 5)
Montrose
Kings of Leon
Kaiser Chiefs
Grand Funk
Tom Petty
Buckcherry
Cheap Trick
AC/DC
Doyle Bramhall II
Ian Hunter

deeaa
May 22nd, 2010, 10:50 PM
Ah! Already a few new names and obviously in company of bands I like...Spotify on :-)

Tig
May 22nd, 2010, 10:54 PM
I have iTunes running on my laptop at work on random mode, so here's exactly what it came up with after removing any repeats.

Back Door Slam
Eric Clapton
Foo Fighters
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Joe Bonamassa
Nirvana
Mick Fleetwood Blues Band
Porcupine Tree
Queens of the Stone Age
ZZ Top
Eddie Harris
Marvin Gaye
Oasis
Robert Johnson
Sean Costello
John Lee Hooker
Muddy Waters
Nine Inch Nails
Pretenders
Mastodon

deeaa
May 23rd, 2010, 12:25 AM
...and good suggestions for Spotify playlists just keep pouring in! Keep it up guys, I'm remembering LOTS of great bands I've got to have on my listening rotation.

red
May 23rd, 2010, 08:41 AM
Well, I only have a 512MB iPod Shuffle, so I can't really fit 20 bands in there unless I don't put full albums on it, but FWIW here's what I've got on it now:

Son House
Tom Waits
Pearl Jam
Stone Temple Pilots
The Black Crowes
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Iggy & The Stooges
The Rolling Stones

R_of_G
May 23rd, 2010, 08:58 AM
Ok, I threw it on shuffle and here are the first 20 artists to come up...

Jimi Hendrix/Larry Young
Horace Silver Quintet
Frank Zappa
The Allman Bros. Band
Brad Mehldau
Charles Mingus
Sleigh Bells
Django Reinhardt
Magazine
Portishead
Led Zeppelin
Bob Dylan
Boris
The Kinks
Sly & The Family Stone
Minutemen
The Black Keys
The Beatles
Ray Charles
The Devil Dogs

Pickngrin
May 23rd, 2010, 09:02 AM
John Hiatt
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Rufus Wainwright
Chris Duarte Group
Bob Marley & The Wailers
Genesis
The Kinks
Richard Thompson
Son Volt
Teenage Fanclub
Wilco
Bob Dylan
Robert Cray
Marillion
Lou Reed
JJ Cale
Cat Stevens
Everclear
John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers (Beano album)
Little Axe
Luscious Jackson

deeaa
May 23rd, 2010, 10:39 AM
Keep 'em coming!

You know, too big an iPod can also present problems. I got 160G and it means sometimes I feel like I'm just skipping tracks, not listening, because nothing fits the mood. It can be really weird sometimes to listen to some Ella Fizgerald and then slam dunk next comes something like Slayer.

marnold
May 23rd, 2010, 01:29 PM
I don't have an iPod because I'm a stickler for punctuation. Actually, I don't have need for one. My PDA takes that function when I need it which is usually only on vacations. Anyway, my desktop MP3 player can't tell me the last 20 things I played, but I could put it on random. Here's what I got:

Peter Gabriel (I have precisely TWO tracks by him)
Slipknot (I have precisely ONE track by them)
Dokken
Something from an 18th century Lutheran music disc I have
The Cult
Great White
Judas Priest
Eric Clapton
Andrew Jr. Boy Jones
Iron Maiden
Neil Young
The Who
Warren Zevon
W.A.S.P. (once again, TWO tracks)
They Might Be Giants
Rush
George Frideric Handel
Van Halen
Urge Overkill
Queen

Pickngrin
May 23rd, 2010, 06:53 PM
Well, technically, I don't own or use an iPod either...I use a Sandisk Sansa

FrankenFretter
May 23rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
I keep my iPod on shuffle most of the time anyway, so here's my list that started on my drive home from work today:

Horrorpops
Neko Case
Muse
Morphine
Black Label Society
Tool
Place of Skulls
Rancid
Kittie
Joe Bonamassa
Rage Against the Machine
The Cult
Hanzel und Gretyl
Man or Astro Man?
Solace
Queens of the Stone Age
Pantera
Chris Duarte
Metallica
The Black Keys

Usually I get a more eclectic mix. It sort of makes me seem like a metalhead or something.

Eric
May 23rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
I don't own an ipod or comparable player, so I just added all of my mp3 directories and hit shuffle. I deleted a couple of odd repeats, but here you go:

1 Tool
2 The Kooks
3 Rage Against the Machine
4 Swervedriver
5 Beatles
6 We Are Scientists
7 Phil Keaggy
8 Heino
9 Guster
10 Jim Croce
11 Autumn Defense
12 The Black Angels
13 Rush
14 Uncle Tupelo
15 The Smiths
16 Kula Shaker
17 Foo Fighters
18 Cave In
19 Kasabian
20 Phantom Planet

I actually went through a big purge this weekend of music I intended to investigate but never actually did, so as a result this list is much less cool and probably slightly more accurate (though I'm not honestly sure of the last time I listened to Heino).

Tig
May 23rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Keep 'em coming!

You know, too big an iPod can also present problems. I got 160G and it means sometimes I feel like I'm just skipping tracks, not listening, because nothing fits the mood. It can be really weird sometimes to listen to some Ella Fizgerald and then slam dunk next comes something like Slayer.

It's all in how you set up your ipod from the itunes ap. I created several different theme play lists. Some overlap and others are more definitive. It all depends on the moods you want to make or enhance.
Play lists on my old ipod:

Acoustic
Anthems
Coolish
Drive
Jazz n Blues
Metallique
Newest

Tig
May 23rd, 2010, 08:58 PM
Man or Astro Man?

Now there's a rare sighting! Wow, I forgot all about them. I'll have to pull out my old CD and give it a listen. I forgot which CD it was...

deeaa
May 23rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
It's all in how you set up your ipod from the itunes ap. I created several different theme play lists. Some overlap and others are more definitive. It all depends on the moods you want to make or enhance.
Play lists on my old ipod:

Acoustic
Anthems
Coolish
Drive
Jazz n Blues
Metallique
Newest

Yep...but there's just too much to catalogue. I'd have to first make sure the genres of the bands, and then create the lists...maybe I really should try and do it some day. It'd be a good idea for sure. But I'd hate to miss listening to some band because of it being classified as some odd genre I never listen to...there's two sides to full random. Sometimes it's excellent.

I guess what I do the most is run it on random for maybe 30 minutes or however long it takes for it to hit a song I really like just then and there, and then jump to that artist and listen to only one artist for a while.

What I really miss on my iPod is there should be a 'delete' button which would tell it to remove the song...because on most any album there are some songs I'd rather not hear again - hell from many albums I'd just listen to a few songs anyway. I have the entire discography of many bands I only like a few songs from...should really clean it up heavily. But then again - no reason really because 160G is so much for music I can never fill it up anyway.

Tig
May 23rd, 2010, 11:50 PM
It's easier to put a song or band into a play list right after you load it to the ipod. I don't group according to genre... too much work!

As for deleting songs, I just rate the song with 1 star while listening, then delete it the next time the ipod is connected to itunes. Just sort on Rating to get to the 1 star songs quickly.

deeaa
May 24th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I guess the problem is I should have started doing that ages ago. I have something like 2000 bands and 40.000 songs on the pod/iTunes already, it just seems like a daunting task to start arranging them at this point. Just last night I added a dozen bands and 30 or so CD's...didn't label them into any genres either. But I suppose I'll have to start thinking about somehow doing it anyways.

sunvalleylaw
May 24th, 2010, 10:45 AM
The last two were Head East and The Tubes on one little soundtrack to a slide show I made, then before that, it was a punk mix on the Genius setting including:

The Offspring
Green Day
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Social Distortion
Switchfoot
Third Eye Blind
Good Charlotte
Blink 182
MxPx
The Clash
Stone Temple Pilots
The Ramones
Iggy and the Stooges
The Dead Kennedys
Fugazi
Rancid

Jipes
May 24th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Piers Faccini
Ani Difranco
Jeff Buckley
Ry Cooder
Anders Osborne
Kim Wilson
Anais Mitchell
Rob Lutes
Chris Whiitley
Napoleon Washington
Papa Mali
The Meters
Little Village

That's all I can remember :thwap

bcdon
May 31st, 2010, 11:53 AM
Mostly metal with the exception of Rush's 2112 and Flight of The Conchords. My iphone is 8G so I have to sync a lot as my mood changes. I tend to listen to the same album/band like a mental patient before moving on. Right now Machine Head has my focus. One bad a-- band!

Black Label Society
Children of Bodom
Damage Plan
Five Finger Death Punch
Flight of The Conchords
Killswitch Engage
Lamb of God
Machine Head
Mastodon
Megadeth
Meshuggah
Metallica
Pantera
Rush
Slayer
Testament
Getcha Pull: A tribute to Dimebag Darrell
Volbeat

bcdon
May 31st, 2010, 11:59 AM
Usually I get a more eclectic mix. It sort of makes me seem like a metalhead or something.

Definitely Metal! After seeing that list I want to "hit the lights and play that record backwards!" :dude

FrankenFretter
June 1st, 2010, 07:24 AM
Mostly metal with the exception of Rush's 2112 and Flight of The Conchords. My iphone is 8G so I have to sync a lot as my mood changes. I tend to listen to the same album/band like a mental patient before moving on. Right now Machine Head has my focus. One bad a-- band!

Black Label Society
Children of Bodom
Damage Plan
Five Finger Death Punch
Flight of The Conchords
Killswitch Engage
Lamb of God
Machine Head
Mastodon
Megadeth
Meshuggah
Metallica
Pantera
Rush
Slayer
Testament
Getcha Pull: A tribute to Dimebag Darrell
Volbeat

This is why you're called "Full-On Don"!

bcdon
June 1st, 2010, 11:49 AM
This is why you're called "Full-On Don"!
Yep, and much better than "full-of-it Don!" :-) :dude