PDA

View Full Version : Exotic strings on guitars..?

poodlesrule
May 25th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I was just reading a bit about violin strings.
There seem to be some exotic, synthetic-core ones out there.

Anything like that on guitars?
Acoustics only, I assume, as we need metal to "trigger" pickups...

oldguy
May 26th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Yeah, somebody will always coat or gold-plate or magnetize strings if they can convince Joe Public it's worth more. Some of the coated ones might last longer, I think the other stuff's just shamwow! salesmamship.

Tonz
May 26th, 2010, 04:31 AM
I have been looking for the holy grail of strings for years, I break them all doesn't matter what brand, even the expensive ones, so I buy ernies or deans and use a product called stringtreat on them, instead of 1 or 2 gigs it makes my strings last for a month and they still sound and play great.

Katastrophe
May 26th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I played Dean Markley Blue Steels for years, and they sounded great. But, I switched to D'Addarios and like 'em. They have good tone, and I have never broken a string with them, and I'm hard on strings.

I've heard good things about the Elixirs, and will try them out. However, there is a lot of hype about strings out there. It seems that there is always someone trying to hype the latest process for lengthening string life and tone.

My way of looking at it is that if it works and sounds good, I'll use it.

mainestratman
May 26th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Kat.. Elixirs are great for acoustic guitar.. they do last longer and hold their tone better than non-coated strings.

However, for electric, keep in mind they are still just strings, and will break just as easily as any other brand (especially in high humidity areas), and at ~$16 a pack, that gets expensive.

Just my two cents... but that is also the reason I stopped using Elixirs on my electrics. I still have them on my acoustic.

poodlesrule
May 26th, 2010, 08:04 AM
... and will break just as easily as any other brand (especially in high humidity areas).

Hmm, string over-tension due to humidity-related wood expansion..??

hubberjub
May 26th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I used the coated DR strings exclusively for three years. I didn't notice any real change in tone. They seemed to break just as quickly as regular strings too. I don't think that there is that much difference in strings.

mainestratman
May 26th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Hmm, string over-tension due to humidity-related wood expansion..??

Corrosion (rust), more than anything.

When I was in NC, I'd got through a set of strings every two weeks or so.. they'd rust out and break.

Back here in Maine, relative humidity is a lot lower (or not as high as much), so I can go a couple months before changing them out. Of course, it sounds like crap after that long, but I save a few bucks.

Ernie Ball Hybrids, in case you're wondering what I use. :-)

Tig
May 26th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Living on the humid Gulf Coast (now with free ocean lubrication!), I should have all kinds of corrosion, but I don't. Maybe the mandatory air conditioner keeps things dry enough. I rarely break high E strings (.10), even the cheap $2.99/set WebStrings.

I do remember breaking strings on my old 12-string Takamine, but she was asking for it!

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Corrosion (rust), more than anything.

Same problem here across the pond!

I think, for acoustics, that the most interesting strings I tried were the silk-core steel-wrapped 'folk' strings I put on a mate's dad's 12-string he lent me. He said it helped his arthritis a little bit, but not much, although I personally loved the feel of them (especially with my little stubbies on a 12-string acoustic!!!).

I think the thing you must keep in mind with violin strings and guitar strings are the way are they are played.

I'm no fiddler, but with the a violin, I could imagine the material used on the bow, the resin/rosin used, and the inner/outer layers of the strings all reacting in a certain way to their stimulus (i.e. how they're played), which is essentially friction, like when you rub your finger along the rim of a slightly wet wine glass and get that hum.

Guitar strings don't work that way, I'm afraid, so I'd imagine that these exotic materials would essentially go to waste, lest you dream of re-enacting those famous scenes from Spinal Tap :dude

Just my tupence ;)

otaypanky
May 26th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I keep my strings clean with a dab of mineral oil on a cloth. 'Prevents corrosion and cleans the grime off of them. I also put a drop in my palm and rub the back of the neck and then go up and down across the strings before I play. Not too much, just a drop or two. I use Gibson nickel and Fender nickel, 'get for about $30-$35 for a box of 10 sets. I can't remember when I broke a string last, and I love to bend 'em
But I don't know squat about acoustic strings

riverrick
May 27th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I had them on all my Taylor guitars. Then put some on my solid body guitars, but replaced them with nickel strings. Thinking about replacing them on my acoustics as well. They seem to be a little dull to me. Any thoughts on this....anyone???

Tig
May 27th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I had them on all my Taylor guitars. Then put some on my solid body guitars, but replaced them with nickel strings. Thinking about replacing them on my acoustics as well. They seem to be a little dull to me. Any thoughts on this....anyone???

I've tried Elixirs only on an electric semi-hollow, but thought they were slightly dull as well. I liked the lack of finger noise, though. Of the coated electric strings, I like the Ernie Ball coated titanium (Ti re-enforced ends) the most, but they are too pricey for me even though they last longer than non-coated strings.

It has been a while since I had an acoustic, so I'm no help there. I'd like to change that status before the end of the year, however.

markb
May 27th, 2010, 03:01 PM
No one remember black nylon wound bass strings? The secret of that early 60s dull "plonk".

kerc
May 27th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Damn, and me using Webstrings. :D

Tig
May 27th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Damn, and me using Webstrings. :D

Ditto the WebStrings. You just can't beat the price, and the quality is really good.

nickydiaz
May 28th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I've tried several different brands and they all seem to be the same to me. I used to break strings all the time until I started using Dunlop Stubby, 3.0 mm
picks, which is a hard pick and really thick. These helped me to control my picking attack for better dynamics as well as keeping me from breaking strings. Now I never break strings anymore. BTW, I now use Curt Mangan strings (10.5). These strings can not be beat for quality, tone (tons of tone) and price (about 6 bucks a set) and they last for a long time before loosing their tone.

bigoldron
May 30th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I can probably count the number of strings I've broken over the years on one hand. Course, I don't use the whammy bar - usually shut it down. I've been using D'addario XL's (46-10) and LOVE them. I did move to the 46-10's from the 42-9's a few months ago and really noticed a good improvement in my tone.

MichaelE
May 31st, 2010, 09:39 AM
I've always used EB Slinky's with good results. They don't break easily and retain their sound for a couple of months, maybe a month if you gig and practise.

I have one guitar with Thomastik Infeld strings that blows anything away I've ever heard on a guitar. They last for eons too and are brass coated.