PDA

View Full Version : Wiring diagram help, please :)

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Hey y'all,

Long time no see :)

I picked up this steal of a guitar last week - neckthru, rosewood body and neck with mahogany and walnut stripes, 1 inch think quilted maple cap, bird's eye maple veneer on the headstock, bound ebony fretboard, m-o-p inlays, all Schaller hardware (machine heads, fixed bridge, pups), brass nut, the list goes on. . . I picked her up for £100!!!

But she was pretty old (and rusty) so some TLC is in need for her to wail like a banshee again. . .

The electronics are pretty old, the only pot I can date was made in the UK in 88 and has a plastic shaft that seems perpetually 'melted' (soft and sticky. . .) so it had to go :'(

I've got this schematic drawn up using inspiration from some 'net links as well as my own personal preferences. . . I was wondering if someone who knows their stuff (i.e. not me) could quickly peruse it just in case I'm not completely hopeless :D

The 'solo switch' is not wired into the diagram just yet (because I don't have a spare DPDT on/on) so ignore that for the time being - the second image is the solo switch wired into the diagram.

I might have left a ground or two out of the diagram but if anyone can check this over and tell me if/where I went wrong, I will be very appreciative :)

Thanks!! :D

marnold
May 26th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Mage! Good to see you again (other than on the Facebooks). Unfortunately, I'll have to leave your wiring question for the experts. Looks interesting, though!

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Mage! Good to see you again (other than on the Facebooks). Unfortunately, I'll have to leave your wiring question for the experts. Looks interesting, though!

Yeah, it's just not quite the same on Facebook is it? :p And hopefully some of them experts will stop by this thread, too ;) :AOK

tjcurtin1
May 26th, 2010, 04:54 PM
WHAT guitar?!?!? I don't see any pictures to go with the interesting, intriguing description...:poke

Good to hear from you, Mage.

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2010, 05:02 PM
WHAT guitar?!?!? I don't see any pictures to go with the interesting, intriguing description...:poke

Point taken :thwap I'll get some in a few minutes ;)

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Okay, so here's a few pics. . . They bite, I know, but hey - that's iPhone 3G for ya ;) The old bird was a rust-bucket when I first got her. In that first image you can see the heavy-brass backplate that used to be so thickly matted in dirt that it resembled the rosewood (or what I think is rosewood) around it.

Now the woods - this is an unbranded guitar, so it's hard to tell. The darker wood is grainy and has patterns very similar to many rosewoods I've seen, on my guitars and others. The slightly lighter wood is very pale orange, much like a lot of mahoganies I've seen, again on my guitars and others. But the strip in the middle is a complete mystery and I only guess it's walnut. Now, that aside, I'm dead certain about the other woods, no mistaking ;)

Pups - Schaller 'Hot Stuff' neck and bridge - 1 volume (470k) 2 tone (470k with two very tiny .047mf Orange Drops) and the two DPDT on/on's which are a master phase and master series as well as a Schaller 3-D6 bridge.

Nicely-carved arch-top with very sweet groove for the electronics (so you don't need those pesky 'long-shaft' pots that cost £10 (as opposed to £4 for CTS) a pop here!!)

All other bits are brass - the backplate, input jack cover, lp-toggle-tip, nut, saddles, truss-rod cover, strap buttons. . . :drool

Pawn shops (or their English counter-parts, Cash Converters, at least) just don't know what they got sometimes. . . £100. With a gig bag. Bonus :dude

----Edit----
But I don't want to tread too far off topic. As much as I love her, she don't work :'(

tjcurtin1
May 26th, 2010, 06:55 PM
What an interesting construction and look, especially the contrast front to back. Good luck with the wiring - clips next!

thearabianmage
May 27th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Anyone? :'(

duhvoodooman
May 27th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I'll try to work through your diagrams sometime over the weekend, Mage. Up to my eyeballs right now....

thearabianmage
May 27th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I'll try to work through your diagrams sometime over the weekend, Mage. Up to my eyeballs right now....

Thanks a lot, Vood, but if you're busy then don't worry :AOK

There's a jam night in a few days and I wanted to showcase the axe to a bunch of mates, but as its lying gutless on my floor right now, I kind of wanted to get started on it tonight :)

There are loads of other hopeless tinkerers here, aren't there? :D

thearabianmage
May 27th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Update - I ended up just bitin the bullet and crackin out the soldering iron. . .

Couple hours later and it's back to stock - figured I'd at least get her wailing until I can get the right parts to get her wailing!

Case closed on this one, for now at least (So you don't have to worry about it this weekend, Vood, but thank you very much for the offer :AOK I'll probably need your help sometime in the near future) :thwap :D

I'll get some clips and more pics and put it in a different thread. . .