PDA

View Full Version : Ephiphone SG Jr. with P90 pickup please help.

larsinthepeg
May 26th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I may have pout this in the wrong area i have since put it in gibson guitars section sorry guys/gals

Hello (my first post!!).

I purchased a used SG Jr. and when I researched it I found out it is a bit rare as it has a single p90 pickup. they are going for 250-300 on ebay and i have a simple question i am sure you all can help me with.

Will it become more valuable over time (I have 2 young children and would put it away for them) or is it at a peak value now and maybe i should try to get something for it?

I also have a Epi Special ll that I mainly use. When i bought the Jr my goal was to use it as a hack guitar not worrying to much about what happens to it. It is in great shape.

Thanks everyone for your help, i have learned a fair amount already in my short time here.

lars

Heywood Jablomie
May 26th, 2010, 10:16 AM
The chances of it becoming a collector's item or valuable is slim to none. Asian-made copies of iconic guitars have no investment value. Depreciation is what you can realistically expect.

larsinthepeg
May 26th, 2010, 10:32 AM
thank you haywood. i appreciate your feedback

Eric
May 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM
The chances of it becoming a collector's item or valuable is slim to none. Asian-made copies of iconic guitars have no investment value. Depreciation is what you can realistically expect.
I wonder though...how much did Grecos and Tokais, which are now going for serious coin on eBay, sell for during the 80s when they were first made?

Your point holds, but I'm just curious.

Heywood Jablomie
May 26th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I wonder though...how much did Grecos and Tokais, which are now going for serious coin on eBay, sell for during the 80s when they were first made?

Your point holds, but I'm just curious.
These exceptions/anomolies do, of course, exist, but predicting them is impossible. The chances of any guitar, regardless of brand or model, becoming a rare and valuable collectors item is slim, an Asian knockoff less so.

Eric
May 26th, 2010, 10:51 AM
These exceptions/anomolies do, of course, exist, but predicting them is impossible. The chances of any guitar, regardless of brand or model, becoming a rare and valuable collectors item is slim, an Asian knockoff less so.
Yep, I totally agree. Do you know how much they were though? Like even a ballpark on price back in the day?

Heywood Jablomie
May 26th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Yep, I totally agree. Do you know how much they were though? Like even a ballpark on price back in the day?
Here's some stuff I found via a quick Google:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/larrymeiners-tokai-article.html

What are the used up ones going for?

Edit: I saw a couple of used Tokais on eBay for about $1,800, which I don't call an investment-value appreciation, especially for a 30-year commitment. A savings account would return more.

Eric
May 26th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Here's some stuff I found via a quick Google:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/larrymeiners-tokai-article.html

What are the used up ones going for?

Edit: I saw a couple of used Tokais on eBay for about $1,800, which I don't call an investment-value appreciation, especially for a 30-year commitment. A savings account would return more.
I found a couple that were up around $1300, and I thought they went for around $1000. You're probably right about the investment thing though -- even with liberal estimates, it's probably 6% interest.

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Tokais can go for a fair bit over here - I've seen some in shops for as much as £3K!! But that was Denmark Street. . .

Anyways, for these particular Asian Models which made it to the elusive 'vintage list', I think the main secret to their success was their Fujigen-built history. I'm not too sure about Grecos, but I know Tokais were Fujigen.

Now, if yours is an Epi (can't imagine a £250 Gibson. . .) then it's probably not going to accrue much value over the years. The reason is because these old Tokais and Grecos can be mistaken for Fenders and Gibsons because, well, for a short while at least, they were, whereas these more recently built models by the brand-names themselves tend to suffer from a case of 'cost efficiency', unfortunately. . .

I don't know if any of that helps (or is right to begin with!), but good luck with whatever you plan to do with your giddy :)