PDA

View Full Version : Ceriatone clip and camcorder problems...

deeaa
May 26th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Well, here's a clip I promised how I've set up the amp using a pan pedal so I can just 'sweep' with the pedal accross the sounds I use, no buttons to press at all.

BUT it sounds bad...it seems the 36W straight on was too much for the camera mic...it somehow muddles up things real bad. Not so much on single notes, but whenever there's lower notes/chords, it sounds horribly messy...it does NOT sound so messy live. Anyhow, here it is good or bad:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZ9lAeyuYHE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZ9lAeyuYHE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

deeaa
May 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Jeez this sounds even worse in headphones...I really need to make a better clip, somehow record it to Zoom and mix the vid and sound later. This is rumble galore all the way. It plain grumbles! No wonder though, my ears are still ringing after recording it....

Eric
May 26th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I don't know -- sounded OK to me, but it did seem to overload the camera mic at some points. I think it's probably more annoying for you, since you actually know what it sounds like.

Not filming in your sauna these days?

deeaa
May 26th, 2010, 11:41 PM
That's from our training facility, I don't haul the halfstack home on regular basis :-) it's just about a block away, or like 700 yards or so, meaning I can drop in very quickly when I like.

Them girlie posters and such aren't mine btw :french

But yeah, it does overload the mic quite bad at times, but even worse is that extreme compression that pumps and makes it sound way dirtier it should. The cam was just way too close; it's got a wide lense and it was right in front of the speakers, which are very efficient 25W ones, maybe 4 feet off, so it must have gotten in excess of 100db blast to the mic...it can flap yer jeans cuffs so it certainly was too much for the cam. It usually handles even loud sounds well but I guess it now reached its maximum :-)

deeaa
May 27th, 2010, 01:19 AM
OK here's a much better soundclip...recorded it with to mics, some nameless t-bone mic close up and a 57 a bit off to the side, mixed them together with the zoom and applied a master compression. This is much closer to how it sounds really:

http://deeaa.pp.fi/clips/ceria.mp3

Clumsy playing, I visited to record this in the morning on the way to work and my fingers are still asleep. In the very beginning I play the neck pup a li'l but mostly it's just the EMG 85 bridge on.

But anyway, this is pretty much how I like my guitar to sound, quite driven but easy to back off a little with the pan pedal. No effects, sort of midrangey, not too bright but enough clarity so you can play 6 strings at all times; cleans up nicely also by playing softer. I should definitely mic it with the 414 a bit to the side. I wouldn't mind having a little less grit in some of the rhythm sounds, but that's more mic'n technique...there's no EQ whatsoever on the mics.

There is no FX or anything either, just variations on the pan pedal, Jackhammer an Vox Distortion booster providing most of the OD.

deeaa
May 29th, 2010, 10:46 PM
BTW as you notice and may have noticed me say I use no FX at all save for gain devices and Wah. BUT maybe it's time to start thinking about applying _something_ there. For recording it's good to have no FX at all I thinks, but when I listen to soundclips people make, well, sure, a delay on leads and some verb on rhythm or chorus on cleans, I might actually fool myself thinking I might be able to play something well :-)

But where to start? There's no way to apply proper verb on my amp as it has no loop. I would have to have a true spring reverb built into it by a good tech - and it would have to be tube driven of course. And a chorus, well, those sound kind of dated for the most part, huh?

So maybe a nice delay would be best place to start? Perhaps something that has two settings would be in order, though, one very slight for chords/rhythm and one more pronounced for leads? Any suggestions? Hm, I must post this elsewhere.