PDA

View Full Version : Hagstrom Swede filter switch "popping" through Amp

mapka
May 27th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I have a new Hagstrom Swede Tremar that I love but when I switch the filter switch from either "filter" position into the center "non filtered" position I get a rather loud and annoying "pop" in my amp. It will not do it if you quickly switch in and out of filter mode, but if you do it after say playing one song in a filtered mode it will do it. I had a professional replace the switch and try some wiring tricks he knows to eliminate it but it did not work.

Any ideals?

Thanks

FrankenFretter
June 1st, 2010, 12:35 PM
Poltergeist? Gremlins?

DeanEVO_Dude
June 1st, 2010, 05:27 PM
I have a new Hagstrom Swede Tremar that I love but when I switch the filter switch from either "filter" position into the center "non filtered" position I get a rather loud and annoying "pop" in my amp. It will not do it if you quickly switch in and out of filter mode, but if you do it after say playing one song in a filtered mode it will do it. I had a professional replace the switch and try some wiring tricks he knows to eliminate it but it did not work.

Any ideals?

Thanks

I have an idea...

You say switching the "filter" on/off causes an audible pop? I wonder if it is a grounding problem with the filter circuit? Since most guitar "filter" circuits consist mainly of capacitors, which are used to "store" an electrical charge (filtering AC to DC, keeping the clock working on unplugged VCRs, etc.), I wonder if the circuit is a: incorrectly wired (bad ground connection, cold solder joint, etc), b: poorly designed, or c: using polarized capacitors instead of non-polarized caps.

Just a few thoughts on my part. I hope this helps a little.