PDA

View Full Version : Up to my eyeballs with an Allen Amp kit

otaypanky
May 27th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I've had an itch to try building an amp for a while. 'Trouble is I know nothing about electronics. By using a trial and error approach, I was successful in figuring out which is the hot end of a soldering iron, but that's the extent of my expertise. I should have started with something a bit more basic I guess, but I read one too many posts about how great Allen Amps are so I ordered an Encore. It's David Allen's take on a Vibrolux Reverb. I haven't left my worktable all day, I need a break. But I'm really anxious to put this together and hopefully flip the switch and hear something nice. I'll have a fire extinguisher handy just in case !
Here's a few pics of laying out the components on the circuit board before soldering. There are also a few wires running underneath the board.
The last photo is the color combination I ordered for the cabinet, which should be here soon. The chassis kit ships first ~

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0650.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0657.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0659.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_5398.jpg

sumitomo
May 27th, 2010, 10:27 PM
This is your first time?If it is and you filled that board like that,your doing good,take your time lay everything out and double check it and check it again.Looks like your on your way.Sumi:D

Tig
May 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM
It sure looks do-able. Take your time, though. If you get too tired and google-eyed, you might make a mistake that will show up when you perform what we used to call, "the smoke test"!

M29
May 28th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Congrats! Nice work and nice choice!!!

Commodore 64
May 28th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Man that looks really cool! Maybe this winter I'll try my hand at an amp build.

BTW, if you ever find yourself short of a cap or resistor, PM me, I have a fair collection now, and it's much cheaper to send a cap or resistor in an envelope than to have to order from a store and pay more expensive shipping.

Tone2TheBone
May 28th, 2010, 08:20 AM
That's a seriously nice amp. How much was the kit if you don't mind me asking? The Vibrolux Reverb is my all time favorite Fender amp!

Katastrophe
May 28th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I'm ashamed to say that the full extent of my electronics knowledge is "that looks pretty."

I need to take a class or sumpthin'.

Commodore 64
May 28th, 2010, 08:35 AM
That's a seriously nice amp. How much was the kit if you don't mind me asking? The Vibrolux Reverb is my all time favorite Fender amp!

http://www.allenamps.com/kits.php

Somewhere around $1,300, I reckon.

FrankenFretter
May 28th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Looks good, Bob. Keep at it, but don't strain your eyeballs too much. Congratulations on your first foray into electronics, it looks like your doing fine! If you finish it and nothing catches fire, maybe that means I might even have enough skill to tackle an amp. Good luck sir!

otaypanky
May 28th, 2010, 06:56 PM
A completed amp is about $1750 or something like that, and the kit was about $1250. But David is having a 10% off sale on kits throughout May, so you have a few days left to grab one. The money I saved with the sale I spent on a padded Tuki cover ($75 and shipping $50). There are several types of amp kits, big to small. Some are 'bare bones' kits which just mean it assumes you can read a schematic. This one is a kit with instructions. So far it's been fun, but not a cakewalk. LOL. You have to pay attention ~
If things turn out well, I may put my '78 Vibrolux Reverb up for sale

otaypanky
May 28th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Getting closer ~~~

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0660.jpg

red
May 29th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Looks great! As a first-time amp kit builder myself waiting for the kit to arrive, I'm rooting for you!

You were probably joking about your experience, as the build looks very nice and the soldering looks good, but just in case you weren't I think I should point out that after the first power-on, if something doesn't work you should make yourself a capacitor discharge tool out of some insulated wire with alligator clips at the end, preferably going through a resistor as well, and empty the current left in the caps by shorting ground and + before putting your hands in. Also, try to use wooden chopsticks if all you need is to poke around inside, and if you must use your hands, try to use only one hand with the other behind your back, so the caps won't discharge through your heart.

I've probably made a fool of myself as your build looks pretty professional and you were most likely joking about your electronics experience, but better for people to laugh at me than not preventing a potential accident.

Keep us posted!

duhvoodooman
May 29th, 2010, 09:07 AM
You go, boy! That looks great! :AOK :dude :applause

You've got me salivating to get going on that 18W kit I've had for several months now. I've got 6 pedal order committments to fill for June, but then I'm taking July & August off from pedal building and plan to get the 18-watter done then.

Keep posting those "progress pics"!

BigJD
May 29th, 2010, 12:48 PM
That looks awesome, man nice job!

otaypanky
May 29th, 2010, 05:42 PM
No, I wasn't exaggerating Red, I'm a total dunce concerning electronics. It looks ok because David did a good job with the instruction booklet and provided a photo of what things should look like. In preliminary testing, I found I goofed in a few places so far. I messed up by not extending the leads from several components under the board jumping to another terminal. So far I have found that I have done that 4 times. I suppose there's no reason I couldn't just solder a short jumper wire in on top of the circuit board, although it wouldn't look as it should. At this point all I'm worried about is if it will work and how it will sound. LOL Looks are not important.
I'm not really clear on exactly the proper way to discharge the caps so I will read up on that to try and extend my lifespan ~
There's a video out on the net where some amp builder is describing how you need to be extremely careful about this, and just as he's describing the danger, he gets 'bit' and jumps ! It's pretty funny, but I forget the name at the moment

red
May 30th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I found I goofed in a few places so far. I messed up by not extending the leads from several components under the board jumping to another terminal. So far I have found that I have done that 4 times. I suppose there's no reason I couldn't just solder a short jumper wire in on top of the circuit board
Yep, nothing wrong with that solution at all. I've fixed damaged/lifted PCB traces in effect pedals like that before, and it's always worked just fine.

I'm not really clear on exactly the proper way to discharge the caps so I will read up on that to try and extend my lifespan ~
Here's a video that illustrates it:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rg3-dZC5Fww&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rg3-dZC5Fww&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here's what a cap discharge tool might look like:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/98/206469608_e7395235c6.jpg

There's a video out on the net where some amp builder is describing how you need to be extremely careful about this, and just as he's describing the danger, he gets 'bit' and jumps ! It's pretty funny, but I forget the name at the moment
It's called "Kendrick Amp guy electrocutes himself in demo video". Pretty funny, yes.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1lozkT1zrIU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1lozkT1zrIU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Keep up the good work, and be safe!

otaypanky
June 2nd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Well, I had some shaky knees, but I flipped the switch and powered it up and WoW!!! It's pretty darn amazing ! I temporarily have the chassis hooked up to the speakers in a Custom Vibrolux Reverb and I'm using the reverb tank from another amp. My cabinet is not due to arrive for a few weeks and it will already have a reverb tank installed in it. This thing sounds wonderful, I'm really glad I tried putting it together myself. Once I get the chassis mounted in the cab I'll post some clips ~

sumitomo
June 2nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
:applause :happy Good for you!!!!! and first time too,man your livin right.Sumi:D

Tig
June 2nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
I knew you had it in ya'! Now you can breathe.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa199/tony93666/HNAD.jpg

Katastrophe
June 2nd, 2010, 05:50 PM
All right, otaypanky! I'm stoked for you. That's awesome that you just dove in and got 'er done!

Can't wait to hear the clips!

otaypanky
June 2nd, 2010, 07:19 PM
sob sob sniffle

there was a horrible noise after about 2 hours :what
No, not my playing, a worse noise. :thwap
Now it's time to try and find out what went wrong, so horribly wrong :confused:

Monkus
June 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
uh oh ...

Tone2TheBone
June 2nd, 2010, 11:25 PM
No!!!! :O Not the Vibrolux Reverb clone!!!

*winces*

sumitomo
June 3rd, 2010, 08:45 AM
:what Oh NO!!!! Man that happened to me before and trouble shooting is a pain for us noobs! Well like the saying goes gotta pay your dues.Sumi:D

sumitomo
June 7th, 2010, 07:12 AM
No word Yet? Sumi:D

duhvoodooman
June 7th, 2010, 07:37 AM
No word Yet? Sumi:D
+1! Hoping it turned out to be something minor....

otaypanky
June 15th, 2010, 01:06 AM
no luck ~ :cry:
I tried to diagnose it with David Allen's email assistance. Checked + swapped tubes, reflowed connections, replaced two caps, checked grounds and voltages, nada, zip, zero ~
I had to face facts and pack it up and send back to David and see if he can figure out what the problem is. There was just nothing more we could do by email support. The fact that the amp was up and roaring for 2 hours or so makes me think it may have been a component failure. Not that I have any experience that would enable me to make a statement like that with confidence, it just seems that way to a layman. But, you never know ~
It should arrive at his place tomorrow, oops, later today.
I can't wait to hear what screwed up. In the event it was a major f*** up on my part, I already have some bubble wrap duct taped to my forehead so
when I smack myself in the head it won't leave a mark :thwap

Robert
June 15th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Sorry to hear, hope it's an easy fix.

Tig
June 15th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I had to face facts and pack it up and send back to David and see if he can figure out what the problem is.

This too, will pass.

I remember way back when I actually worked on component covered boards on the ancient equipment NASA had. If I had a known good board to compare to, even I could troubleshoot the bad one. I was never one of those wiz technicians, but this method helped me to fake it.

If you had a good amp right next to the broken one, I bet you could find the problem. Regardless, you'll get yours back, ready to jam.

Bow
June 16th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Catastrophic failure in the middle of operation?

No Smoke?

My money is on a bad solder joint, OR a failed wire....

Can you describe this "Horrible Noise"?

otaypanky
June 17th, 2010, 12:09 AM
It was loud crackly static ~for 1 or 2 seconds. That was bad news.
But today I got some good news !
I heard back from David today. The amp is up and running. :happy
He had sent me 2 caps to replace while I was trying to figure out what was wrong, I did replace them, but no luck. He replaced them again today, snugged up a few grounds to insure things were solid, and whamo, she's back. He said I was very close to success, and not to feel badly.
The cabinet should be ready soon. He will install the chassis in the cab and ship them both back together.

Bow
June 17th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Most Groovy...

When you said it died after playing for 2 hours, I was betting something vibrated loose... ;)

sumitomo
June 17th, 2010, 10:55 AM
:dance :dance :dance :digit up and :running :thumbsup Sumi:D

M29
June 17th, 2010, 11:15 AM
:thumbsup :happy

bcdon
June 17th, 2010, 11:29 AM
It was loud crackly static ~for 1 or 2 seconds. That was bad news.
But today I got some good news !
I heard back from David today. The amp is up and running. :happy

That's great news! Considering this is your first amph build I think you did fantastic!

otaypanky
July 1st, 2010, 11:07 PM
David ended up replacing those same 2 caps again and tightened a few grounds and shazzam! It was working again. He got the cabinet from the cab buiilder while he had the chassis so he installed it and sent it back.
I got the amp back on Tuesday of this week and stuck a pair of 10" Eminence Copperheads in it and fired it up. WoW! I'm home! I'm in some serious love. I took it out and played with it Tuesday in a a smaller venue and again tonight at a place where I could twist it up a few notches. Just frickin' awesome! I suspect there will be a few posts in the classified section for some very nice amps coming up soon. And I think I'm going to try one more of his amp kits and go for a smaller model that's his interpretation of a Princeton Reverb called the Sweet Spot.
Soon to be listed:
Two Gibson Goldtone GA15R's
a Gibson Goldtone GA30RVS
1978 Fender Vibrolux Reverb
Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb
and maybe a few more PRRI, DRRI, NOS Jr. ?

sumitomo
July 2nd, 2010, 07:16 AM
:dance :dance :dance :digit UP and:running :thumbsup ,I've had my eye on that Sweet Spot Amph.It is good to hear how much your liking your amph,sure builds the GAS up!Sumi:D

otaypanky
July 3rd, 2010, 08:29 PM
:dance :dance :dance :digit UP and:running :thumbsup ,I've had my eye on that Sweet Spot Amph.It is good to hear how much your liking your amph,sure builds the GAS up!Sumi:D

That's two of us gassin' for the Sweet Spot Sumi

otaypanky
July 9th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Here's what it sounds like ~ it's posted in the demo section

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=179202#post179202