PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a Zendrive !! ... can't wait to get it

jpfeifer
May 28th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hi Everyone,

After years of playing I'm finally zeroing in on the type of sounds that I really seem to gravitate to. One of the common things that I like from various players (Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Eric Johnson, ... ) is this special lead tone that they get that is more vocal-like and not as crunchy as the typical overdriven guitar tone.

I can "almost" get this tone from a setting on my Vox Valvetronix amp called "Boutique OD" that is supposedly modeled after a Howard Dumble amp. Then I realized all of these guys play Dumble amps. That's it, it must be the Dumble sound that I'm hearing. Only, ... you can't buy Dumble amps unless you are willing to shell out 10's of thousands of dollars, even if you can find one in decent shape.

I discoverd this boutique pedal, that everyone raves about ,called the "Zendrive". Supposedly it's a very good copy of the Dumble tone that I've been looking for. I just ordered one, so I can't wait to get it. Apparently these pedals can take a while to ship because they guy makes them by hand in his shop.

Here is a link to more details about this pedal and some sound clips from it.
http://www.vendio.com/stores/HermidaAudio/item/effects-pedals/zendrive/lid=2384441

You can see several that were made by Chuck D'Aloia, who is a member of this forum. Chuck's tone is exactly the type of sound that I like. It's almost saxaphone-like and very musical and not too overdriven. The notes aren't so squished in distortion that you can't hear the picking dynamics, etc. Everything is intact, but still much fatter and musical than a completely clean tone.

I'll post a review of it once I recieve it.
--Jim

piebaldpython
May 29th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Let us know how you like the Zendrive. Congrats on that!!

BTW, steel players love their Zendrives.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=140650&highlight=zendrive

mainestratman
May 29th, 2010, 04:53 PM
It sound suspiciously like my BSIABII...

Radioboy950
May 29th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I had a Zendrive, and it does deliver the tone you describe.
It sounds best with a clean, loud tube amp.
The Zen is a low-medium gain pedal, and it sounds unlike any other overdrive stomp box you'll ever own.
Similar pedals like the Jetter Red and the Wampler Ecstasy Drive get very close, and in fact may be a tad more versatile.
But if you seek that Dumble / Fuchs type tone, Hermida does it best, in my opinion.
I began to develop a little ear fatigue from it, and found myself not using it as much for the style of music I play. So I let it go.
You'll dig it, for sure.

jpfeifer
June 2nd, 2010, 09:52 AM
I just received my Zendrive yesterday. There were several guys selling these on ebay, claiming that it took a long time to recieve them directly from Hermida, which was completely untrue. I receive mine in just about 3 days and paid $199 for it instead of the $250 the guys on ebay were trying to get.

I tested out the Zendrive with my Roland Cube 60 last night, just for a quick test drive. I was really impressed with this pedal. It doesn't really distort so much as increase the sustain and dynamics of your playing. It really makes the amp sound like a cranked-up Fender Delux or something where it starts to clip when you pick harder and cleans up when you back off the volume. The tone is amazing. It really gives that warm mid-range kind of Larry Carlton tone for sure.

I tried this pedal with my Hamer Newport (which has P-90s) and it sounds superb. I can't wait to try it on a real gig.

I'll try to post some clips if I get a chance to do that.
--Jim

Radioboy950
June 2nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
I just received my Zendrive yesterday. There were several guys selling these on ebay, claiming that it took a long time to recieve them directly from Hermida, which was completely untrue. I receive mine in just about 3 days and paid $199 for it instead of the $250 the guys on ebay were trying to get.
--Jim

Glad to hear it.
I ordered mine through Hermida too.
Didn't take long at all.
The guys gouging on eBay won't get that kinda money, but rest assured that the Zen holds it's value, and you will probably get darn close to what you paid if you decide to sell it.

jpfeifer
June 2nd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Hi Radioboy950,

When you mentioned that you got ear fatigue from the pedal, do you mean that you got tired of the sound or did it actually affect your hearing? Just wondering. I will probably tend to over use it until the newness wears off, so I may get tired of it eventually also. But it does provide a sound that I've not been able to get, that I wanted.

--Jim

Radioboy950
June 2nd, 2010, 08:46 PM
Hi Radioboy950,

When you mentioned that you got ear fatigue from the pedal, do you mean that you got tired of the sound or did it actually affect your hearing?
--Jim

Yeah Jim, I just meant that I grew tired of those squishy, compressed, mids.
My hearing is already screwed up:dude
Don't get me wrong...It's a great addition to the pedal board, giving you more tonal options.

It does the Ford, Carlton, Johnson type tones perfectly.

But it wasn't me, and I really couldn't afford to keep a $200 piece of gear that wasn't being put to good use.

jpfeifer
June 3rd, 2010, 08:40 AM
Radioboy950,

Yes, I completely understand. I have to change up my sounds every few years to keep things interesting also, otherwise I do tend to get bored with my own playing.

My hearing isn't perfect either. Between loud amplifiers, loud drummers, and practicing with headphones, I've abused my hearing more than my share over the years.

--Jim

hubberjub
June 3rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
I've wanted to grab a Zendrive for over a year now. Congrats on the purchase.