PDA

View Full Version : New guitar! Woopwoop!

thearabianmage
May 28th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Hey y'all, I gave a slightly brief description and included a couple photos of this in different thread, but thought I'd bring it here. I'm gonna get some clips done in a couple days.

Here's the full run-down:

Construction - Solid-body neck thru arch-top; natural finish Indian rosewood body and neck with mahogany and walnut stripes, 3/4'' quilted maple cap, bird's eye maple veneer on the headstock, 24-fret white plastic-bound ebony fretboard with black plastic side-dots and real mother-of-pearl dot inlays.

Hardware - Schaller machine heads (don't know model), Schaller 'Hot Stuff' pickups in the neck and bridge (14.4k ceramic), Schaller 3-D6 fixed bridge w/ brass saddles, brass nut/truss-rod cover/back-plate/jack-plate/knobs, and little gold strap-buttons.

Electrics - 3 470k pots made in the UK - one log two lin - 2 tiny .047mf Sprague Orange Drops, 2 DPDT mini-toggles (one phase and one series/parallel both only for the bridge) and lastly, the cavity has been lined with aluminum shielding.

Neck - wide and medium-thick. Weight - 9 1/2 lbs. Sustain - 3 1/2 years.

It was pretty rusty when I got it. The only date I've got on it is '88 on the linear pot. The pot was made in the UK, and I think it's a custom guitar that was made in the UK as well.

The nut and frets were green, the backplate was thick matte brown from dirt and rust, the pup rings are still a bit rusty, the magnets were in bad shape, and the machineheads are still a bit 'sandy'. . . But some metal polish, elbow grease, and 5 hours later and it almost looks 5 years old! :p :D

I think that about covers it. . .

Cheers :)

http://img691.imageshack.us/g/photo33e.jpg/

P.S. - Sorry for the poor quality photos. . .iPhone 3G. . .

deeaa
May 28th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Cool guitar! If there is no indication on the make date, I'd place it somewhere in the change of 70's and 80's, say 78 to 1990 or so, based purely on looks.

It certainly seems like a custom job all the way, but I see many aspects and ideas derived from guitars of that time. I had an Aria Pro II that looked very much like that, and there were many Ibanez, Yamaha etc. guitars much like that, and Alembic of course...looks like a sweet guitar & fine looking woods and work. I bet it also sounds great and quite original too!

thearabianmage
May 28th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Hey, thanks man! Yeah, she really wails. And the craftmanship is excellent - miles ahead of any of my other guitars! The difference is immediate.

I had an Aria Pro II that looked very much like that

I think I know the one you mean - the Inazuma model - mid-late 80's?

deeaa
May 28th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Something like that, yes!

Eric
May 29th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Looks nice! How's it play after all of that work?

thearabianmage
May 29th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Looks nice! How's it play after all of that work?

Like butter ;)

Kazz
May 29th, 2010, 06:43 AM
That is one sweet looking axe there Mage....and it comes with Mojo a plenty

marnold
May 29th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Sweet--the mystery guitar, shrouded in an air of . . . mystery.