PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a new amp..

ShootTheGlass
May 29th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Im tempted to get a new amp. Right now I have a Peavey bandit, which sounds quite good but my god it rattles the windows. I also have a Line 6 Spider 2; its ok, but seems to get quite muddy once a bit of gains introduced.

I had a look around in the local shop the other day, and the Fender Superchamp caught my eye (ear?). Quite liked what I saw of it, just wanted to ask if anyone had opinions on it? Seems quite good for the money (200 pounds, about $300)

Also, any good alternatives around that sort of price range? All I need is something smallish - Im never gigging - but I just want something that sounds decent with a bit of heavy sound if thats possible. Can go a little more expensive, but dont really want to go mad. Maybe 300 pounds - $450-500

Katastrophe
May 29th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Do you like the tone of your Bandit? The Peavey Envoy has a 10" speaker and is smaller.

Does it have to be a tube amp? The Vox Pathfinder 15R has been getting rave reviews here and elsewhere.

Have you looked at the Spider IV series? I've played on a Spider II, and noticed the same muddiness. That wasn't an issue on the IV I played on recently.

Vox makes the AC4TV head and cabinet that sounds great, at 4 watts. There's a switch on there to reduce power from 4, to 1 watt, and 1/4 watt. Priced at $349.00 USD. Some of the Valvetronix (VT) amps have a switch to reduce power as well.

Blackheart makes the Killer Ant head that is a fraction of a watt in power.

Epiphone makes a "hot rodded" version of the Valve Jr., complete with on board reverb.

Peavey makes the Windsor 20 watt combo that comes with it's own power attenuator.

Marshall has the Class 5, 5 watt combo. It sounds awesome! Price is $399.00 USD.

Good luck!

street music
May 29th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I have a SuperChamp XD and love how versatile that it is for any type of playing I want to do.

Radioboy950
May 29th, 2010, 08:27 PM
If you're talking about the Superchamp XD, that's a nice little amp.
I was checking into it myself. Good run-through of the different voicings here:

Ek6PiHd-H2U

birv2
May 30th, 2010, 06:16 AM
+1 on the Peavey Envoy. Sounds amazingly good live.

I've heard the SCXD, and it's a very versatile amp. Can't go wrong with either.