PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Boards

riverrick
May 29th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I need some info on pedal boards. I have 5 pedals and they are hooked up to surge protector. With 9V adapters. Will a pedal board clean up any of this clutter??? Does aboard have its own power supply, so I won't have to have all these 9V adapters. I'm really in the dark on this subject. Any info would be helpful.

otaypanky
May 29th, 2010, 10:24 PM
It's quite likely that you could use a 'daisy chain' and only one 9V adaptor. A daisy chain is simply a wire that attaches to the barrel plug coming from your adaptor. Along the length of the daisy chain there are several more pins that plug in to your pedals.
Another option for powering your pedals is a power supply.
If you usually use only one or two pedals at a time a daisy chain should be plenty. If you use them all at once you may need a power supply.
Printed on your pedals or with the information that came with it, will be listed how much power the pedal requires, shown in ma (milliamps)
Your power adaptor has printed on it how many milliamps it produces.
You do the math.
A pedal board it self is simply a platform to which you attach your pedals so they stay attached and wired together. Some pedal boards have a power supply built in and with some you need to add/attach one.
Go to a MF or GC type website (or a local store) and look through the sections showing power adaptors and pedals, you'll find many solutions.
By the way, the correct spelling is pedal
Good luck

deeaa
May 29th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I have used a really small 'OneSpot' adapter for a long time now and it has never had any problems providing juice for up to nine pedals, although I usually need just 4 or 5. It's 1700mA which is plenty. Well recommend those.

Tig
May 29th, 2010, 11:07 PM
+ 11'ty on the One Spot power system.
I power 3 pedals and one wah pedal.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/1/8/567218.jpg

riverrick
May 29th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Hey, thanks for the advice. Quite helpful. One question on the daisy chain though....can I hook up all my pedals (5) so far..lol to the daisy chain. while only using 2 or 3 at a time???

Tig
May 29th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Hey, thanks for the advice. Quite helpful. One question on the daisy chain though....can I hook up all my petals (5) so far..lol to the daisy chain. while only using 2 or 3 at a time???

You can use as many or as few pedals at a time as you need. It shouldn't make a difference.

sunvalleylaw
May 29th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I have used a really small 'OneSpot' adapter for a long time now and it has never had any problems providing juice for up to nine pedals, although I usually need just 4 or 5. It's 1700mA which is plenty. Well recommend those.

+11tyone on the one spot. Works great! I have had to power a couple pedals with their own wall warts due to noise (my looper for instance, and my wah) but it powers all the rest just fine. Well worth the small investment. I have the original plus a five position extender, so I can power nine off mine. No problems.

ZMAN
May 30th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I need some info on petal boards. I have 5 petals and they are hooked up to surge protector. With 9V adapters. Will a petal board clean up any of this clutter??? Does aboard have its own power supply, so I won't have to have all these 9V adapters. I'm really in the dark on this subject. Any info would be helpful.

First of all this is bugging me so I am not being a smart *** but
Petals are on a flower, Pedals are what you plug a guitar
into. Now that is straight.
The Furman board that I have has it's own power supply. You can get them that will accomodate many pedals. They have what is called a conditioned power supply that will isolate any noise. Any time you use a wall wart that is not plugged directly into the wall you will be picking up noise, especially when using a power bar. Take a look at this site and it will explain a lot. They also have separte outlets incorporated into them that will take a wall wart for pedals that have larger ohm loads.
http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?id=SPB-8

Kazz
May 30th, 2010, 06:49 AM
The one thing we have to take into consideration here is are all of your petals or Pedals LOL......center ground or central negative? Or are they all center positive? If all of your pedals are of the same orientation then you can power all of them with one power supply such as the One Spot.....if you have any pedals that are of the "other" orientation they will need their own supply or you will burn them up.

riverrick
May 30th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Oops!!! I thought that word (petal/pedal) looked funny....lol. It has been corrected. Sorry about that. Thanks for the additional info guys.

riverrick
May 30th, 2010, 08:07 AM
+ 11'ty on the One Spot power system.
I power 3 pedals and one wah pedal.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/1/8/567218.jpg

Tig....I looked at your link that shows the one spot. Are all those pedals connected by the one spot??? If so...how!!!

sunvalleylaw
May 30th, 2010, 08:23 AM
RR, you should be able to power up nine with the one spot adapter you see, if you add one extension piece that adds 5 spots to the 5 the thing comes with, but the extension takes up one spot as I remember, so you can really power up 9. The 1700mA unit should be able to power that many regular stompboxes without trouble. One should not try to use them for multieffects pedals or some others like loopers, some Wahs. Normal stompboxes seem to work fine.

There are ten in that picture, but you can only get 9 powered up on the unit plus one extension piece.

Here is the manufacturer's site where you can see the unit, and the additional extenders. You can buy them at ebay, Amazon, MF, etc.

Tig
May 30th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Tig....I looked at your link that shows the one spot. Are all those pedals connected by the one spot??? If so...how!!!

My mistake on the link. It was for just the adapter, not the whole system including the daisey chain.
I remember having a choice of 2 different One Spot's at the store that had either a 9 pedal daisey chain, or one with 4 or 5.

sunvalleylaw
May 30th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I think most come with a 5 spot extension, and you can buy another extension to bring it to nine, as I did.

riverrick
May 31st, 2010, 03:00 PM
I got my daisey chain today. A little more than what I wanted to spend. I looked at the set-up in the store with all the pedals connected together, the sales guy said I needed a pedal with 2 outlets at rear for pedal, well none of mine have that. So I bought a Boss TU-3 tuner. I'm quite the happy camper now, the tuner works great. :happy Thanks to everyone for all the info!!! This isn't related BUT...can anyone explain why they have avatars I don't see any displayed under anyones name??? Just curious.

bcdon
May 31st, 2010, 04:29 PM
This isn't related BUT...can anyone explain why they have avatars I don't see any displayed under anyones name??? Just curious.

You have to turn that option on. Use the "User CP" (top left) and then "Edit Options" and then check desired "Visible Post Elements" under the "Thread Display Options."

riverrick
June 4th, 2010, 09:28 AM
OK...here's another question for all you fretters out there. Now that I have my pedals all set up and plugged in. I was wondering if there is any paticular order that they should go in. Current order is wah, tuner, delay/looper, distortion, comp/sustainer, tube screamer, chorus.

hubberjub
June 4th, 2010, 10:00 AM
There is no wrong way. Tradition would be: wah>compressor>Tube Screamer (overdrive)>distortion>Chorus>delay. The tuner shouldn't really matter but I tend to put mine up front especially if it's buffered like yours is.

deeaa
June 4th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Like Hubber said - whatever works with your setup. Your pedals, I'd most likely put them exactly like you have 'em. I like to keep an OD right before the amp, as many pedals seem to eat the OD's sound and they sound best IMO straight to the first tube. That gives me the problem of adding a delay - most people put time-based FX like delays and choruses last, but, hmm...well anyway, go ahead and experiment - whatever you like is OK.

sunvalleylaw
June 4th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I base my order off of what Hubber says, but I put distortion before overdrive typically. My first distortion box, my Boss DS-1, benefited from the Bad Monkey following it. The Monkey smooths it out a touch, and they sound nice together that way. I probably experiment the most with swapping distortion/overdrive stuff (including muff, etc.) to see what I come up with. I really don't worry about the order of the modulation stuff like chorus, delay, etc., other than leaving them all toward the end. I also swap around where I put my clean boost, whether to drive the chain a bit from the front of the chain, or to simply amplify the sound I am getting from the end of the chain.

I could also run my modulation stuff (delays, chorus, etc.) through the effects loop on my Peavey, but I never do. I just run it all into the input.

riverrick
June 5th, 2010, 01:26 PM
One more question now. It's gonna sound like a dumb one, but which is the front end??? I have the cable where you plug in the guitar coming from my wah. And My OD pedal plugs directly into my amp. With all others in between.

sunvalleylaw
June 5th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Usually, we are saying guitar > Distortion/overdrives > modulation stuff (echoes phasers flangers delays chorus, etc.) > amph. That sort of thing. So the guitar is the front, then wah, then the rest. But like others have said, that is only a starting place. Lots of people like their wahs elsewhere, etc.

Tig
June 5th, 2010, 09:52 PM
. Lots of people like their wahs elsewhere, etc.

Yep, we have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy about where people like their wah's.