PDA

View Full Version : Cheap dual delay?

deeaa
May 29th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Hello,

Any suggestions for a rather budget-friendly delay pedal that would have two modes, i.e. settings possible, like for rhythms and leads with different time/mix settings? Or, maybe I should just get two units...hmm...

sunvalleylaw
May 29th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Maybe get a Line6 M9 which gives you a ton of stuff, plus you can run two delays.

deeaa
May 30th, 2010, 01:07 AM
M9 is too expensive&complex. I'm looking for something a quarter the price. Plus I'd rather have something without excessive ic circuits in it if possible...I've had to ditch several simple analog pedals due to them changing the sound too much, I don't like the idea of digital stuff on my main rig, but then again, I dunno if analog delays can give the same or comparable results as digital ones?

But that got me looking into the DL4 delay modeler of theirs...looks like it has many delay options too.

Still, quite expensive too, would have to look for one used.

But then again, hm, I have two 'channels' on my pedal board and if I put a delay on either, I can only use it for leads or for rhythm, not both. So I'd probably actually need two separate units so I can use one for rhythm side and one for lead side. Maybe I could start by finding something for the lead side first.

So yeah, maybe a cheap analog delay with true bypass? What's out there deemed good?

Sigh. Life was so much simpler when I used rack gear. Since I started using a back-to-basics tube rig it seems it's nigh impossible to arrange even simple matters like add some effects...I've spent hours and hours merely trying out various combinations and pedal arrangements to find what works and what doesn't, and now that I'd like to add something there's a lot of problems right off the bat...and where do I fit it in my pedal board anyway? Sigh...

birv2
May 30th, 2010, 06:11 AM
You said cheap, so I would recommend the Danelectro PB&J Delay. It's one of their "mini" series (you know, the little ones all named after deli food).

It has a stomp switch to go back and forth between long and short delays and actually sounds quite good. You can pick them up used for pretty cheap.

Radioboy950
May 30th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Never tried it, but the Two Timer (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-Two-Timer-Delay-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=159907) might fit the bill.

deeaa
May 30th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks guys, both seem like great alternatives. Gotta start looking for one close by!

marnold
May 30th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I've been looking for a relatively inexpensive delay too. They're hard to find. The Digitech DigiDelay seems to have some fans. More recently a lot of people seem to like MXR's Carbon Copy delay and Way Huge's recently re-released Aqua Puss. I listened to some clips of the Digitech Hardwire delay that sounded pretty nice too. None of these, however, are dual delays.

Generally I prefer as dry a signal as possible, but a little delay would be great for dirt, along with using the delay to fake pseudo-reverb for some clean stuff.

thearabianmage
May 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Never tried it, but the Two Timer (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-Two-Timer-Delay-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=159907) might fit the bill.

That seems like a pretty decent delay. . . gas. . .

markb
May 30th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Any Boss with tap tempo. The DD-7 is pretty cool. It even has a model of the old DM-2 built in.
I've been using a Digitech RP50 for delays, chorus, etc lately. It cost me NZ$60 with a volume/expression pedal used. The drives are awful.

marnold
May 30th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Good call on the tap tempo, Mark. The Digitech pedals (both the DigiDelay and the Hardwire) have that. I kind of like the reverse delay on the Hardwire, but it's probably one of those things I'd use once, giggle, and then never use it again.

markb
May 30th, 2010, 05:35 PM
... I kind of like the reverse delay on the Hardwire, but it's probably one of those things I'd use once, giggle, and then never use it again.

That's exactly how I feel about a lot of effects ;)

Eric
May 30th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I've been using a Digitech RP50 for delays, chorus, etc lately. It cost me NZ$60 with a volume/expression pedal used. The drives are awful.
That's a pretty good idea. I might even consider unearthing my RP100 to use for such an application.

birv2
May 30th, 2010, 09:15 PM

I'd love to hear what settings you're using for delay, etc. I bought the RP50 with the same idea in mind - use it for reverb, delay, chorus, other stuff. I've never been able to get sounds I liked out of it. I play blues so I don't use a lot of effects, so I'm looking for something subtle.