PDA

View Full Version : Fender Pro Junior vs. Blues Junior

Robert
May 30th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I tried the Fender Blues Junior and the Fender Pro Junior today at a music store. I spent plenty of time playing them both with 2 Classic Vibe Tele's (50's and that Alder sunburst Tele).

Hands down - the Pro Junior (PJ) is a clear winner in terms of tone in my book. It's very dynamic and has an incredibly inspiring tone. It's not just the tone - the notes just jump off the fretboard. You know, that touch sensitivity that good tube amps have, which most solid state amps lack. The PJ has this going for it, big time. When you turn it up, it becomes extremely dynamic/touch sensitive/glassy sounding. It makes the amp harder to play for inexperienced guitarists, but for an experienced guitar player, this amp delivers the goods, albeit in a tiny package, granted.

I couldn't crank in the amp room without risking me ears - it was way too loud for me in there with the knob on 4. I'd love to try it cranked though.

The PJ has only a volume knob and a tone knob. The Blues Junior (BJ) has lots more options - eq, reverb, gain stage, but I think that may be a drawback as well. Less "stuff" (to be somewhat overly technical :D) between amp input and speaker output seems like a good idea. That's the philosophy behind the Mack amps as well.

Now, the BJ is a fine amp too, and much more versatile. However, in terms greatness of tone, and the type tone that makes me want to really play an amp, the PJ wins easily. Either would be a fine amp, but I'm gonna look for a PJ on the used market and see if I can score one.

With some good pedals and perhaps a mod on the PJ for an external cab, this would be an amazing blues/country/lighter rock rig.

I give the BJ 4 :AOK
I give the PJ 5 :AOK

otaypanky
May 30th, 2010, 10:07 PM
The only time I tried one I did twist it up a bit and pretty much lost the clean zone. But you're absolutely right, playing attack can take you from clean to breakup. I sold a Gibson GA15 to a friend last week and that amp is I think quite similar to the PJ with maybe a bit more headroom.
Here's a vid I came across of a really good player who gets a wonderful and familiar tone from his Jr. and a Strat

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iWK2IhU0sD8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iWK2IhU0sD8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And a not so great player who gets a decent tone
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3IFk90BXwU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3IFk90BXwU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

markb
May 30th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Having owned and used both I thoroughly agree with your findings, Robert. I wouldn't say the BJ is "much more versatile" though. I'd stop at "a bit more versatile".

otaypanky
May 31st, 2010, 05:18 PM
Have you tried a Princeton Reverb Re~Issue?

Robert
May 31st, 2010, 05:20 PM
No I haven't, tell me more?

otaypanky
May 31st, 2010, 06:21 PM
I would have a hard time giving an accurate description. It has a wonderfully rich tone, but it's definitely within a certain range on the volume knob. I have had it for getting on close to a year and have spent a lot of time trying to make it into something it's not. I have tried to expand that sweet spot so I can play louder and use it playing out. But you know how jams go, everybody just keeps turning up. But if you keep it in it's comfort zone, it's wonderful. Plus you have reverb and tremelo.
I put in a little beefier output transformer, $40., and have switched back and forth from the stock 10" speaker baffle to a 12". I have also tried a bunch of different speakers. It actually sounds good with all of them.
It's my 'go to' amp for playing at home, with a trio, or any situation where the players are sensitive to overall volume
I posted a thread a few months ago demoing a Bombshell guitar and played through it.
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=14716&highlight=bombshell

Tig
June 1st, 2010, 03:28 PM
It's my 'go to' amp for playing at home, with a trio, or any situation where the players are sensitive to overall volume

I'd have guessed that your Richter would be the go-to amp.

otaypanky
June 1st, 2010, 09:07 PM
I'd have guessed that your Richter would be the go-to amp.

I sold the Richter 5E3 to get a Richter Supra~Luxe. Then I sold that to get a Gibson Johnny A.
I'm planning on getting a kit and assemble another 5E3. And then I'm planning on getting in a 12 step program to break this guitar/amp addiction!

sumitomo
June 1st, 2010, 09:37 PM
I sold the Richter 5E3 to get a Richter Supra~Luxe. Then I sold that to get a Gibson Johnny A.
I'm planning on getting a kit and assemble another 5E3. And then I'm planning on getting in a 12 step program to break this guitar/amp addiction!

Good Luck with that!LOL!Sumi:D

Tig
June 2nd, 2010, 07:12 AM

:rollover Amps are like crack! The next amp will produce the high I'm chasing, no matter how good the current or past ones were.