PDA

View Full Version : Egnater Tweaker

NWBasser
June 1st, 2010, 05:07 PM
Well, awhile back, Frankenfretter, BCDon, and I gave it a whack at the local GC and I was duly impressed with the very rich tone.

Anyone else have any experiences with this one?

At the price point, I kind of wonder about reliability?

With Dad's day on the way, this little gem might be a possibility.

FrankenFretter
June 2nd, 2010, 07:24 AM
Well, awhile back, Frankenfretter, BCDon, and I gave it a whack at the local GC and I was duly impressed with the very rich tone.

Anyone else have any experiences with this one?

At the price point, I kind of wonder about reliability?

With Dad's day on the way, this little gem might be a possibility.

Good luck, good sir. Are you thinking about the combo?

Tig
June 2nd, 2010, 07:36 AM
The Tweaker has the Official Tig Seal of Approval, if that helps. :whatever:

Seriously, this little amp is so much more versatile than most any other single channel, all tube amps out there, especially for the price. I've got at least 60 hours on mine so far, and there's nothing but sweet, glassy cleans or roaring crunchiness to report on. The quality is much better than the price point would indicate.

Usually for the price, you don't get so many EQ and tonal options, and these controls actually work. Don't forget the effects loop. Touch sensitivity and dynamics are great, maybe not $1800 boutique great, but it lacks nothing other than reverb.

Give it another demo and see if it grabs you.

NWBasser
June 2nd, 2010, 12:11 PM
Good luck, good sir. Are you thinking about the combo?

Yep, the compact form and cheaper price make the combo my choice.

:poke

Duffy
September 3rd, 2010, 01:20 AM
I have been thinking of trying out a Tweaker, however there are no places around here that have them yet.

A pro friend of mine from a real good blues band that works at a music store told me he tried one the other day, a demo from a sales rep. and thought it was a real good amp. They don't know if they are going to get them yet but his review was very indicative that the amp sounds real good and has lots of great sounds. This is someone that has a very developed ear.

Some of you guys have had quite a bit of experience with Tweakers and can probably provide me with some real good feedback.

Today I played a Marshall DSL 100 head into a 1960 cab and it sounded really incredible. One of the best amps I have ever heard, also expensive: at least twice what I want to spend, maybe three times and it is way too powerful for my needs.

Does the Tweaker get anywhere near the overdrive quality sound of the Marshalls? How would you say the overdrive sounds compared to your other amps?

Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

MAXIFUNK
September 3rd, 2010, 09:09 AM
FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREAT to know before I jump on the Fender Super-Sonic I have on hold right now. Since this was my 1st choice prior to hearing the SS22.

FrankenFretter
September 3rd, 2010, 09:17 AM
Maxi, the British voicings setting on the Tweaker did sound Marshall-like to me. It seems to have plenty of gain on tap. I thought it sounded very warm, yet articulate and punchy. Like the name implies, it's got a lot of tone options. I think if the Tweaker had been out at the same time that my Vox Night train was, I may have chosen that over the NT. Don't get me wrong, I really love the Vox. The Tweaker just has more character, and more tonal variety.

MAXIFUNK
September 3rd, 2010, 12:38 PM
Maxi, the British voicings setting on the Tweaker did sound Marshall-like to me. It seems to have plenty of gain on tap. I thought it sounded very warm, yet articulate and punchy. Like the name implies, it's got a lot of tone options. I think if the Tweaker had been out at the same time that my Vox Night train was, I may have chosen that over the NT. Don't get me wrong, I really love the Vox. The Tweaker just has more character, and more tonal variety.

Just wondering did you get the combo or the head unit?

Zip
September 3rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
In case you're interested, this came up on CraigsList today:
http://greenville.craigslist.org/msg/1934157573.html

Duffy
September 3rd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Ordered.

NWBasser
September 3rd, 2010, 01:10 PM
Ordered.

Duffy, if your tone tastes are at all like mine, you'll really love this amp!

I've never been blown away by tone as much as I was playing through a tweaker.

Someday.....

Duffy
September 3rd, 2010, 09:49 PM
I have never played a Tweaker. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a bad thing.

I'm going on what I've heard and read that it is an awesome little head.

I wanted a decent powered amp for my four by twelve So. Cal. cabinet.

Hopefully this will do it and I will have it by my bed where I can mess with the controls extensively. Tone seems to me to always be more easy to sift thru in the dark. Maybe it is the absence of other sensory stimuli that seems to enhance the auditory acuity.

Plus I don't want to spend massive amounts of money on amps at this time, or guitars.

In fact I ordered an Agile AL-3100 double bound cherry burst flammed maple top LP for 299 from Rondo. Real good deal, hopefully.

So, any feedback or advice on the Tweaker is appreciated; me being totally uneducated with it.

Duffy
September 4th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Real good demonstration:

Check out this awesome visualization of manipulating the controls for different sounds with the amp. The guy does a good job of showing how to get different tones with the switches and eq and reveals the depth of the amp as best as I have found in the demos I've checked out so far. Most of them just have a dude playing the guitar and doing very little with the controls - I think they dial it in to the sounds they like rather than showing the range of scope the amp has like this video shows.

Hope it helps show a little more about how the amp works.

TdiKR98Bueg&feature=related

ZMAN
September 4th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Hey Duff I have looked, and I can't find where the Egnaters are made?
I hope you will be happy with it. I did the same thing as you bouncing around with smaller less expensive amps. I hate to say it again but you heard the tone you were looking for. You have to get that 100. LOL
Especially with your new place in the wide open spaces.

Duffy
September 4th, 2010, 08:47 AM
China.

Duffy
September 5th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Maybe someday I'll get a real nice Marshall head like a DSL or TSL, used; but for now I'm looking forward to this little inexpensive Tweaker I ordered.

I found a great thread dedicated to the Tweaker that some of you guys that are trying to find out more about it might want to look at. It has hundreds of posts and has been going on since before they were available and is still quite active today:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=647574&page=60

This might be of interest and answer some questions, at least from some other people's experience.

A good friend of mine, excellent pro blues guitar player and music store guitar and amp salesman told me the other day that he played one and it sounded fantastic, and he doesn't even sell them. This guy knows his tone too. He plays thru great amps like a Pro Reverb, Super Reverb, etc., and the Heritage "Kahuna" LP style guitar is named after him. Had a chance to get one of them Heritage "Kahuna" models a while ago and couldn't get the cash up quick enough and the guy decided to keep it, mint.

Hope that some of you find this link to a great "Tweaker" page informative and helpful.

ZMAN
September 5th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Hey Duff, I was just yanking your chain. I know you will pick one up someday.
Good luck with the Tweaker. A 15 Watt head would be pretty cool. Every amp just sounds better when you can use a 2/12 or 4/12 cab with it.
The BJ at 15 watts can sound boxy but when you put it through a cab just opens it up.
From what I have heard the Tweaker sounds like a pretty versatile amp.

Duffy
September 5th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Watch that video Zman, it shows how versitile the Tweaker is, even thru computer speakers. I have a real good speaker system on my computer, but probably not as good as my home theater system, but I listen to all my CDs off of media player and they sound great, even in the dark at night when your hearing seems to have better aural acuity.

I have a So. Cal. four by twelve cab I'm going to use.

Duffy
September 9th, 2010, 02:14 PM
This is the best amp purchase I have made in a long time; especially considering it was a blind purchase based upon zero real world experience, only stuff I have heard from friends and read on the internet.

This Tweaker speaks for itself. Anything I can say is just words and only describes my personal experience with the amp.

My impression is that the amp is way superior to what many of us suppose it to be, by a wide margin. Youtube's, etc., do not do it justice. This puppy is inspiring, touch responsive, capable of a wide spectrum of sound with unlimitted tone shaping throughout the spectrum.

With my Epi So. Cal. cab it has punching thump that blows my mind, harmonics that are incredible and a complex sound that is indescribable in some of the ranges of tone I have achieved.

This amp may be the amp that satisfies the needs of many a player here that is in search of a great amp at a reasonable cost.

For me it is a bedside amp head that is easily accessible and capable of producing a quality of sound previously unavailable to me in my bedroom.

I would summarize by saying that those of us lucky enough to have one of these amps are without doubt exceedingly fortunate. This guy Bruce Egnater is indeed an awesome amp man and has come up with a design form here that is really high quality and useful to a lot of us searching for a very high quality and versitile tube amp for use directly in our homes and at smaller venues and capable of further use via mic'ing.

This is one amp that I can say will be welcomed by many here as an incredible and unexpected addition to their arsenal of sonic power.

A lot of writing here will do nothing to convince people to go out and buy one of these - these little amps speak for themselves and will promote themselves without a lot of hoo da day.

Check one out next time you see one if you can. You might be surprised.

Tig
September 9th, 2010, 04:17 PM
So I take it you don't like it? :poke

Told ya it was sweet! :applause

MAXIFUNK
September 9th, 2010, 06:07 PM
This is the best amp purchase I have made in a long time; especially considering it was a blind purchase based upon zero real world experience, only stuff I have heard from friends and read on the internet.

This Tweaker speaks for itself. Anything I can say is just words and only describes my personal experience with the amp.

My impression is that the amp is way superior to what many of us suppose it to be, by a wide margin. Youtube's, etc., do not do it justice. This puppy is inspiring, touch responsive, capable of a wide spectrum of sound with unlimitted tone shaping throughout the spectrum.

With my Epi So. Cal. cab it has punching thump that blows my mind, harmonics that are incredible and a complex sound that is indescribable in some of the ranges of tone I have achieved.

This amp may be the amp that satisfies the needs of many a player here that is in search of a great amp at a reasonable cost.

For me it is a bedside amp head that is easily accessible and capable of producing a quality of sound previously unavailable to me in my bedroom.

I would summarize by saying that those of us lucky enough to have one of these amps are without doubt exceedingly fortunate. This guy Bruce Egnater is indeed an awesome amp man and has come up with a design form here that is really high quality and useful to a lot of us searching for a very high quality and versitile tube amp for use directly in our homes and at smaller venues and capable of further use via mic'ing.

This is one amp that I can say will be welcomed by many here as an incredible and unexpected addition to their arsenal of sonic power.

A lot of writing here will do nothing to convince people to go out and buy one of these - these little amps speak for themselves and will promote themselves without a lot of hoo da day.

Check one out next time you see one if you can. You might be surprised.

That is great news I am going to go check one out this weekend.
congrats BTW!!!!

Duffy
September 9th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Too bad you can't take it into the acoustic room if you are going to GC. Maybe where you go it will be quiet. Try closing your eyes and listening to it if you can. Might allow you to focus on the sound better.

FrankenFretter
September 9th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Just wondering did you get the combo or the head unit?

Sadly, neither. I've got a pretty good selection of tonal variety in the amphs I already have...But...

Maybe someday. My brother (NWBasser) will probably get one first. I was very, very impressed with the one we tried out at GC. As much as I love my Night Train, I'd trade it for the Tweaker in a heartbeat. That thing is just magic.

Blaze
October 17th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Hey guys ,how about reviews and some clips here ..
This Tweaker seems to be a nice little beast ..
Give us some more infos and personal thoughts ..

Blaze
October 21st, 2010, 06:12 AM
In my quest for informations about this Amph ,i found this review..(samples at the end)

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/amplification/instrument-amps/guitar-amp-heads/tweaker-head-285693/review

Tig
October 21st, 2010, 08:11 AM
In my quest for informations about this Amph ,i found this review..(samples at the end)

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/amplification/instrument-amps/guitar-amp-heads/tweaker-head-285693/review

That's the best written, most comprehensive review I've seen yet. Thanks!
Oh, but is it accurate? 100% accurate!

MAXIFUNK
October 21st, 2010, 12:32 PM

After checking out that review its settled The tweaker is the next amp I buy.

Duffy
October 21st, 2010, 01:16 PM
I'm not good enough at recording to properly post clips from my Tweaker. I need to work on that.

Another point is that the Tweaker has so many different sounds that it would be minimalizing it to only post a few clips of a few settings, speaker cabinets, pedals, etc.

The amp has an amazing tonal palate. Within each setting there is great variation of sound. This is not a one trick pony and is very interactive - highly interactive.

I really like using it with humbuckers, but have found some real good tele settings that I need to further explore. I'd really like to get some noiseless pickups for one of my strats or teles to be able to enjoy the strat or tele at some of the very high gain settings; because with non noise cancelling single coils you get a lot of noise at high gain settings, especially when using high gain pedals or other pedals that boost your input to the amp.

It is a skill/knowledge problem for me I suppose, to some extent. How did Hendrix get all that volume and gain with his strats out of those Marshall stacks without major magnified noise? Maybe a noise gate or volume pedal or something.

I'd like to see some Tweaker settings for quiet high gain single coil stock strat or tele pickups, but that's probably not going to happen without a noise suppressor or noiseless pickups.

This is why I prefer the humbuckers with the Tweaker - because you can turn up the gain and use pedals without getting noise. This is such a beautiful high gain amp, it's awesome.

Blaze
October 21st, 2010, 01:48 PM
Here s a clip with Humbuckers , the guy has recorded it with his Pc mic..
Sounds Big and fat ...

NSGq1Xjoidw

NWBasser
October 21st, 2010, 01:49 PM
One thing I didn't really get into before is that when I tried the Tweaker, I initially just plugged in a Les Paul and played it with the controls wherever they happened to be set at and it sounded supremely awesome.

Next, I tried to see if I could find a bad sound out of it. I switched things this way and that, cranked knobs all over the place, used different guitars and pickup combinations. Throughout all this I completely failed to get a truly bad sound out of it. Some of the tones, especially with a tele, weren't really my tone, but it still wouldn't sound at all disagreeable.

I think you could mess with it on a dark stage and still have little chance of ruining the tone.

So yeah, it has a whole lot of different tones and not a bad one in the bunch!