PDA

View Full Version : Doing more sports than making music recently

Jimi75
June 2nd, 2010, 04:11 AM
Hey chicos,

my recent long break from the internet (about 6 months) and forums has created a great amount of free time. Due to the fact that I focused more on the guitar itself I was "faster" with practicing and still having time. I decided to build a workout routine to get back in shape. I bought some barbells, a pull up bar, a rope and just started working out 6 days a week. With former attempts, I always felt like music and being online just filled all gaps and there was no time for consistency in sports or other activities.

But this time I really made it happen!

I have lost approx 27 lbs. I started doing MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) once a week in a professional studio nearby and on sundays I go to sparring. Believe me this is such a hard training unit containing circuit training etc...

So currently, I feel like being more into sports and it feels really awesome. It's the first time in my live that I am not making up my head everyday with things concerning guitars, amphs etc., plus guitar playing and rehearsing feels easier and better now. I think I have achieved a balance in some way that influences my daily life. I mean I had times when I went on a trip with my familiy and I secretly thought about "darn how do I improve my sound". In the last 6 months I have not experienced this and I head a clear and free mind.

I know we got bycicle riders, runners, hunters and others on the forum. Did you make similar experiences?

Robert
June 2nd, 2010, 07:45 AM
I somehow manage to both think about getting a new cool amp for killer tones, as well as how to find time to run more so I can win the next marathon.... :D

My days are too short. It would be nice if I didn't have to sleep, so I could work extra on my "issues" during the night! LOL

sunvalleylaw
June 2nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
I have re-directed some guitar time into my workouts and cycling, as the season has been coming on. I don't have big weight losses or anything, and would love to trim 10 or so. But in the meantime, I am getting into my cycling shape to keep up with the guys I ride with on Thursdays. They are all accomplished cyclists. It is hard for me to find time to both advance my guitar playing, and pursue my athletics. I was just thinking today that I might let go mentally of progress in my guitar, and just play for enjoyment for a while.

Jimi75
June 2nd, 2010, 08:45 AM
I am getting into my cycling shape to keep up with the guys I ride with on Thursdays. They are all accomplished cyclists.

Same here. The guys I go to the Free Fight training with all do more than just this training. It's also hard for me to keep up, but it is possible and it is challenging in a postivie way.

I love being in that beginner segment again. It's nice to learn technical aspects and feeling like an "elephant", moving slow and trying to understand what is going on. It's almost like with playing the guitar and in fact guitar playing taught me enough so that I know that I have to get my technique down very clean and than speed will come.

Tig
June 2nd, 2010, 08:47 AM
I know we got bicycle riders, runners, hunters and others on the forum. Did you make similar experiences?

Way to go! Health is a crucial foundation for everything else.

Well, I'm on the exact opposite swing! My playing has ramped up while my sports have all but died. Most of this is due to my recent employment change back in January, however. Working weekend nights prevents me from the group rides I enjoyed on weekend mornings. I've gone from a "racing" weight of 132-135 pounds to around 150 pounds!

I haven't ridden more than a few minutes since December. I used to race until about 3 years ago, riding between 100 and 160 miles a week. I retired after decades of racing because of lung and bone health issues. One hard crash and my pelvis could shatter like glass, or worse, my vertebrae.

I'd love to get back on the bike, especially my beloved MTB trail riding, but it isn't meant to be for now. :(

Spudman
June 2nd, 2010, 08:53 AM
I'm playing less now and riding bike a couple hundred miles per week. It certainly makes a difference mentally and physically. I'm not tone chasing either. I just strap on and play and that keeps things simple and usually some great playing comes out of it. I'm more focused on music rather than tweaking my amph or effects. Another plus is that mountain biking strengthens my grip and it seems to make it easier to play guitar with less fatigue.

The weight loss thing is great too. I've lost a few pounds and it's amazing Jimi what you've dropped. Wow!

Tig
June 2nd, 2010, 09:08 AM
It hit me that being a relative noob at the guitar, I'm still climbing up the steep slope of progress. There's always a great feeling of accomplishment when we glance back and see solid, measurable progress in something. That is more pronounced with fitness.

Most of you guys play incredibly well. You have reached levels that I hope to get near some day, even though it will take quite a long time. When it comes to sports, especially cycling, I guess I've passed my peak as well as achieved the pinnacle of my ability, so there's not much left to accomplish personally (other than good health). I feel fortunate to have raced all over the country and even have a state track racing title under my belt, but I'm not one to dwell on the good ol' days. I'd rather savor the moment as it happens. I'm still a soul surfer.

Hopefully, I'll be able to change work schedules sometime soon so I can get healthy again. I've learned from those before me that consistency and momentum are the basis of a healthy life in your 50's/60's/70's and beyond.

Eric
June 3rd, 2010, 09:26 AM
I've passed my peak as well as achieved the pinnacle of my ability, so there's not much left to accomplish personally (other than good health).
I'm with you on this. I have not scaled many significant heights in terms of athletics, but I've achieved the personal bests I care about in running. Exercise is either a recreation or health thing for me now. There's no discounting the mental benefits of it as well, but I guess the fire has just left me a little bit.

I look at it all as gravy. If I have my health and am otherwise happy, how fast I can run or play a riff doesn't matter much. It's fun to play and understand, and I think exercise is fun too. To be honest, I'm just focusing on spending less, tweaking my food intake a little bit, and finding a way to have a healthy, sustainable life.

ZMAN
June 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
In the winter I play hockey twice a week from Sept 30, to April 1. I also have time to play the guitar. In the summer I rarely play guitar, and golf 2 to 3 times a week, walking the course. We have a fairly large Garden on our property (flowers not veggies) and that take up a lot of time. I also have an old car hobby so my playing time is a lot less.
I still hunt and fish in season, but I used to be much more active in sports like soccer and baseball.
I used to work out 4 times a week at a gym, but I now have a gym at home.
That has dropped to once or twice every couple of weeks. I still like to keep fit.

sumitomo
June 4th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I have to put a pillow on the head board so the wife doesn't get a concussion!,but it keeps me in great shape.Sumi:D

sunvalleylaw
June 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I had a great ride last night with the guys, and kept up in the mix with some of the stronger riders. We had a break in the rain, and the trails were beautiful!

We road this trail I posted about last June http://gallery.me.com/sunvalleylaw#100094 plus added on another shorter loop.

Tig
June 4th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I had a great ride last night with the guys, and kept up in the mix with some of the stronger riders. We had a break in the rain, and the trails were beautiful!

We road this trail I posted about last June http://gallery.me.com/sunvalleylaw#100094 plus added on another shorter loop.

You make me sick...
with envy!
:AOK

Spudman
June 4th, 2010, 02:21 PM
You make me sick...
with envy!
:AOK
...and after this afternoon I'll be over 200 miles for the week and I've still got until Sunday to add more.

Tig
June 4th, 2010, 02:26 PM
...and after this afternoon I'll be over 200 miles for the week and I've still got until Sunday to add more.

Don't make me come back there! :flamemad:
(said in my sternest father voice)

sunvalleylaw
June 4th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Don't make me come back there! :flamemad:
(said in my sternest father voice)

Ahh, come on out and ride with us, Dad! You'll have fun! :AOK

Spudman
June 4th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Ahh, come on out and ride with us, Dad! You'll have fun! :AOK
Bring your rain gear....and a large mug.