PDA

View Full Version : Ardour - digital audio workstation

Spudman
June 2nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
This is a free program for digital recording. Check it out.
http://ardour.org/download

Eric
June 2nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
This is the de facto Linux recording application. I haven't had much of a need for anything more than Audacity, but I'm curious what this is comparable to in terms of other DAWs (e.g. Sonar, Pro Tools, Cubase, etc.).

tunghaichuan
June 3rd, 2010, 01:28 PM
This is the de facto Linux recording application. I haven't had much of a need for anything more than Audacity, but I'm curious what this is comparable to in terms of other DAWs (e.g. Sonar, Pro Tools, Cubase, etc.).

Doesn't come in a Windows version, unfortunately. From what I understand it is a powerful program with all the bells and whistles, but the learning curve is very steep.

I tried for several weeks to get JACK audio server to interface with my PC's hardware, but no go. I never even got a chance to try Ardour out.

Eric
June 3rd, 2010, 01:40 PM
Doesn't come in a Windows version, unfortunately. From what I understand it is a powerful program with all the bells and whistles, but the learning curve is very steep.

I tried for several weeks to get JACK audio server to interface with my PC's hardware, but no go. I never even got a chance to try Ardour out.
I only recently got Jack to work reliably, but then I came upon the learning curve for Ardour (and full-featured DAWs in general) and realized that I didn't have much need for anything beyond Audacity at present.

Shutting down all audio apps before starting Ardour helped immensely with getting Jack to work. There were a couple of other tricks I used too, but I can't remember them right now (I'm at work at present). Once it works it's not actually bad at all, but I feel your pain.