PDA

View Full Version : Scuttle Buttin' Video Lesson!

Robert
October 9th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Scuttle Buttin' Video Lesson (http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-36.php) - here it is! This ain't easy to play, but with some stubborness, it can be done.

Let me know what you think of this lesson. It was a lot of work to do...;)

Justaguyin_nc
October 10th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Nice job Robert... if I set a drum track around 10-20 bpm and sit for a few months...maybe I can get my mind and fingers to do all that.. :) another Dolphinstreet winner.. Im starting to realize that 10% is listening, watching and learning the tabs... 20% is practicing and the other 70% is gaining the finger tone, timing and talent behind it....

Robert
October 11th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Glad you like it. It's hard to play, for me too. It's one of those "show off" songs really, but fun to mess around with.

duhvoodooman
October 11th, 2006, 03:25 PM
This ain't easy to play, but with some stubborness, it can be done.
Oh, I'm stubborn enough--it's finger speed & accuracy I lack!! :eek:

I'll have to try the "walk up the temp" approach you demonstrate. But I kind of suspect I'll reach the physical limits of my fingers before I attain full SRV tempo!

Let me know what you think of this lesson. It was a lot of work to do...;)
Very good, as always! I just wish I could reproduce it!

BTW, I have this tune on an excellent Greg Koch instructional DVD with several other popular SRV numbers. He talks about it a bit during his intro, mentioning that he saw SRV perform this in concert just after Couldn't Stand the Weather first came out, and that Stevie slid the notes, just as you show. However, he states that on the recording, "clearly he's bending the notes", which makes it tougher to play. Koch teaches it that way on the DVD, which renders it all but impossible for a slow-of-hand oldster like me! I think it's interesting that even SRV himself didn't play it that way when he had to perform it live!!

Tone2TheBone
October 11th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Just watched Stevie playing the song at Montreaux and he is clearly not bending the lick as DVM has mentioned. I went to look at some video because I do remember the sound of him bending the notes from the studio recording.

Robert
October 11th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Yeah I know, I have a live version of SRV playing it sometimes with a bent note, sometimes with a sliding note. He does both, kinda randomly, on that live recording. It's easier to just slide that note though...

duhvoodooman
October 11th, 2006, 04:40 PM
It's easier to just slide that note though...
Yeah, agree 100%. I'm going to try playing it sliding the notes and see if I can do better than the "bent" version, which was pretty much hopeless for me!

Plank_Spanker
October 11th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Excellent lesson, Robert! :D

You slowed it down enough for visual guys like me and you explained it very well.

Saved to favorites! :D