PDA

View Full Version : Roland Cube 60 on the way

FrankenFretter
June 2nd, 2010, 10:37 PM
Found one in excellent shape on Ebay for less than a Cube 30, and I couldn't pass it up. It should be here next Tuesday. I've been impressed by my brother's Cube 30, and this model has the added benefits of a 12" speaker, a line out, an external speaker out and a tuner output. Pretty cool. It should be a good amph for bringing to my guitar lessons.

http://www.gitaar.net/forum/index.php/file/7/12246/RolandCube60.jpg

Spudman
June 2nd, 2010, 10:55 PM
Sweet! I've been impressed with those too. There is a pretty good demo on the Boss web site and it really gets some great sounds. I sat in at a gig and the other guitarist had the cube 30 and it sounded just like a good amph should complete with screamin solos.

FrankenFretter
June 2nd, 2010, 11:56 PM
I have a friend who has some very nice amps, including a Mesa Triple Rectifier, that uses his Cube 60 for recording. It just happens to be exactly what he needs to get the sounds he wants. I would've been perfectly happy with the Cube 30, but I have a hard time passing up a great deal.

markb
June 3rd, 2010, 03:57 AM
One thing you'll find is that this tiny box is incredibly loud. But, never fear, it sounds good at low volumes too. The cleans (JC and BF Fender) are excellent and are quite happy with pedals if you want to extend its range. In fact my favourite live use for this is the Black Panel clean with a Cool Cat Drive for dirt. If I use my Epiphone Dot the whole rig cost under NZ$1400 :AOK

Eric
June 3rd, 2010, 04:35 AM
Ha! I think I was actually stalking that same ebay auction, just to see what it would go for. Is this the one with the missing nut on the footswitch jack?

Congrats on getting a nice amp. Word on the street is that this is one of the better SS amps available.

FrankenFretter
June 3rd, 2010, 07:35 AM
Ha! I think I was actually stalking that same ebay auction, just to see what it would go for. Is this the one with the missing nut on the footswitch jack?

Congrats on getting a nice amp. Word on the street is that this is one of the better SS amps available.

Yeah, Eric, it's that one. That should be an easy fix, although I don't know that I plan on buying a footswitch for it.

One thing you'll find is that this tiny box is incredibly loud. But, never fear, it sounds good at low volumes too. The cleans (JC and BF Fender) are excellent and are quite happy with pedals if you want to extend its range. In fact my favourite live use for this is the Black Panel clean with a Cool Cat Drive for dirt. If I use my Epiphone Dot the whole rig cost under NZ$1400

I've heard nothing but good things about the Cubes. If the 60 ends up being overkill for what I need it for, I'm sure I can find someone with a 30 that's willing to trade plus cash or guitar parts.

Eric
June 3rd, 2010, 07:39 AM
So you put in your first bid with 20 seconds remaining? Geez! I'll have to watch out for you in the future -- you're a snipe-tastic ebayer!

Heywood Jablomie
June 3rd, 2010, 09:02 AM
I'm gonna bet that you'll really like it. I've had my Cube 30 for about a month now, and am completely satisfied with everything about it. 60 watts is seriously loud, so if you're not gigging with it, you'll probably never turn the volume past 2.

FrankenFretter
June 3rd, 2010, 04:32 PM
So you put in your first bid with 20 seconds remaining? Geez! I'll have to watch out for you in the future -- you're a snipe-tastic ebayer!

Yep, that's how I roll. It happened to me so many times in the past that I finally learned that in order to get what I want, I have to emulate the evil ones...heh heh heh...

I'm gonna bet that you'll really like it. I've had my Cube 30 for about a month now, and am completely satisfied with everything about it. 60 watts is seriously loud, so if you're not gigging with it, you'll probably never turn the volume past 2.

That loud, huh? It's definitely more than I need at this point, then. But better to have too much power available than not enough. Are you gigging with your amph? If you're playing anywhere around here, I'd love to come and see your band.

Heywood Jablomie
June 3rd, 2010, 11:02 PM
That loud, huh? It's definitely more than I need at this point, then. But better to have too much power available than not enough. Are you gigging with your amph? If you're playing anywhere around here, I'd love to come and see your band.
The amp I sold was a 60-watter and it was VERY loud. No gigging right now, but the 30 could handle a small club easily. My band days are over - if I do any gigging it'll probably be a solo or duo, and probably acoustic.

FrankenFretter
June 4th, 2010, 08:30 PM
UPS says it should be here Tuesday. I'm really looking forward to trying this thing out. Has anyone ever tried swapping out the speaker on their Cube? Just curious, since I have a hard time leaving things alone.

markb
June 4th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Speaker changes aren't easy because the Roland speaker has an odd sized rim and you have to modify the baffle.
If you've got a few hours to spare this TGP thread (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=140504) has lots of love and info for the Cube.

jpfeifer
June 7th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I use a Roland Cube 60 all the time. I use it for smaller gigs where I don't want to bring my larger amp.

I use my Cube 60 with a few floor pedals and it works great like this. (Fulltone OCD and Zendrive).

The Cube 60 is a great amp with plenty of volume, nice tones, and easy to carry around.

--Jim

NWBasser
June 7th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Cool buy, Sean!

Yeah, the Cubes are pretty good.

I think my 30's loud enough to upset the neighbors. I'd bet a 60 would invoke much wrath.

My friend Rick has used his in a full and loud band situation and it's more than up to the task of keeping up with a loud drummer...and a louder bassplayer.

FrankenFretter
June 7th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Cool buy, Sean!

Yeah, the Cubes are pretty good.

I think my 30's loud enough to upset the neighbors. I'd bet a 60 would invoke much wrath.

My friend Rick has used his in a full and loud band situation and it's more than up to the task of keeping up with a loud drummer...and a louder bassplayer.

I thought they turned you down in the mix?

It's coming tomorrow! (I just checked the UPS site: It's in Hermiston, OR) Not quite in time for my lesson, but I'll be bringing it there next week.

markb
June 7th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I thought I'd written some sort of review. Here's what you're getting and compared to the 30X and 80X.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11059

FrankenFretter
June 8th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I thought I'd written some sort of review. Here's what you're getting and compared to the 30X and 80X.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11059

Thanks, Mark! That was useful info. It sounds like I made a good choice.

I'm probably not going to be using the effects, other than the reverb. Like I said, it's probably more than I need, but the 12" speaker and speaker out aren't available on the lower wattage models.

I had a Vox AD30 VT for a couple years, and I agree that the UI is more user-friendly on the Roland amps. The other thing I never liked about the Vox was the small, boxy sound that it had. My brother's Cube 30 has the same size speaker (10"), and it sounds far, far bigger. The Cubes seem to be the "giant killers" for their size and price.

kidsmoke
June 8th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I've had my C30 for a couple years now, and like most here, I don't use the effects much. I'm either JC or blackface, and always a little 'verb. For sh*t's and giggles I'll goof around with the phaser now and then.

I don't own a stack for comparison, but I do have other amps, and often play through my buddy's Deluxe Reverb, which I consider a benchmark amp, and this Cube is for sure a great little box with big airy sound.

I paid less for it new than what a decent pedal sets you back. NO complaints.

NWBasser
June 10th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I thought they turned you down in the mix?

It's coming tomorrow! (I just checked the UPS site: It's in Hermiston, OR) Not quite in time for my lesson, but I'll be bringing it there next week.

Yeah, they tried to turn me down in the mix...

The engineer's fingers are still attached to the slider:spank

bcdon
June 10th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Yeah, they tried to turn me down in the mix...

The engineer's fingers are still attached to the slider:spank
Awesome! Bass players should never take any s--t! They should, however, go out for beer and pizza runs. Extra pepperoni and an IPA, please. :thumbsup

FrankenFretter
June 11th, 2010, 03:28 PM
So, the amph is here and has been played approximately 1½ hours. I'll post a separate review with actual photos of the amph I received pretty soon. So far I really like the Black Panel (blackface, obviously) and the Tweed. The Dyna Amp is also fun, very responsive.

Look for a review soon!

markb
June 11th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Plug in a strat (in a quack position), select the JC, dial in some reverb. Instant Knopfler. I just found this. That model's great with humbuckers too.