PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the small practice amphs... GO!

Katastrophe
June 3rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
Last Christmas, I had to sell my Crate 120 watt amph. I've been amphless since then.

I'm ready to purchase a small practice amph. I'll need something small to get me through until I can afford something bigger for jams and possible playing out again.

I've been looking at a number of amphs, thinking I could do the layaway thing, but that ain't gonna happen. Gonna have to get something cheap for now. Financing is not an option.

Top price is going to have to be around $100.

I'm gonna go cruise the pawn shops in my area to see if there are any deals out there.

Any recommendations to look for? I've read the Pathfinder 15R thread and am interested.

Anything else?

Anyone played a Fender Frontman 25R or Peavey Rage?

Thanks for the advice!

BTW, for a practice amph, on board effects / modeling are not necessary, but reverb is a plus. Good cleans are more important than distortion, as I'll be practicing technique and don't want to cover up my flaws.

Spudman
June 3rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
If you can find a used Peavey Transtube small amph they sound pretty good.

deeaa
June 3rd, 2010, 09:29 PM
There are many nice tiny amps, but under 100 I'm look at Behringer's tech-21 copies first probably...a roland cube...and used small amps. Depends much on what you want out of it, maybe a used ValveJr would be best...if you don't need drives or very low volumes...

Robert
June 3rd, 2010, 09:34 PM
How about the Fender '57 Mini Twin Amp?

The Mini '57 Twin is a super-cool little jammer with a realistic vintage visual vibe. The genuine tweed-covered wood cab contains built-in distortion; power, volume, and tone controls; plus one serious watt of power and 2 - 2" speakers. A 9V power adapter jack can be used in place of the 9V battery. Plug into the 1/4" headphone jack to get genuinely cool tone for practicing or even use it as a line out to a power amp or recording gear.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-57-Mini-Twin-Amp?sku=481134

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/6/3/3/228633.jpg

sunvalleylaw
June 4th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Used Vox DA-5? They seem pretty cool. Or a Peavey Vyper 15 new, or find a 30 used? My son's Vyper 30 is cool.

Spudman
June 4th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Used Vox DA-5? They seem pretty cool. Or a Peavey Vyper 15 new, or find a 30 used? My son's Vyper 30 is cool.
DA 5 - good call.:AOK

Commodore 64
June 5th, 2010, 06:59 AM
At that price, keep looking at CL..for stuff like this: http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/msg/1775010834.html

Yesterday there was a Vox AC4TV for $125. That didn't last long.

kiteman
June 5th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Kustom Defender 5H head (if ya got a cab) for $99

I'll admit I can't get it to work with my pedal (ADIII) very well but with a guitar straight in it rocks. There are reviews on MF that the amp worked with pedals so mine must be an oddball.

For a 5 watt amp it's friggin loud. Sounds good too.

t_ross33
June 5th, 2010, 07:32 AM
DA 5 - good call.:AOK

+1

M29
June 5th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Right ohwn SVL, Tater and t_ross33

DA-5, I use it all the time tucked under my computer table. Very handy little bugger. The batteries seem to last forever. Nice effects and somewhat amazing touch sensitivity for such a small amph.

Moander
June 5th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I needed a practice amp to use at my computer, when I jam to backing tracks...

I went to Harmony Central, and read reviews on amps that my local guitar center had in stock... made a short list, made a decision...

I got the little Line 6 Spider IV 15w....

It has everything I need for practice, even small impromptu jams....

3 levels of drive, chorus, phase, delay, reverb, nothing great, but acceptable for the price. Wanted the best bang for the buck.... with what they had in stock, this was it, and reviews are pretty good....

It's a $100 amp.

Katastrophe
June 5th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Cool! So the list of amphs to look at are:

Kustom Defender 5 watter
Vox DA5
Peavey Transtube models
The teeny Fender '57 twin
Vypyr 15 or used 30
Line 6 Spider IV 15

And,

A Vox Pathfinder 15R (put this in the list because of the glowing reviews on the other thread).

I think that's a pretty good range, everything from battery operated, to modellers and more conventional solid states, with a tuber thrown in there, too!

Thanks all for giving me a list of amphs to look for / try out. I'll post what I find in my travels in this thread!

otaypanky
June 5th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Some years back I wanted a small practice amp that had a headphone jack. I looked at all the small amps they had in the local shop where I used to live and I picked the Vox Pathfinder. I've only had one solid state amp and that was back in the late 60's or '70. I have always had tube amps and to me the Vox sounded closest to a tube amp. It had reverb and tremelo, both were decent enough. It had a drive or gain button, I never used it. In fact I didn't use the amp much, sold it about a year ago, still in the box with hangtags, for about $75 or so. But it did have a pretty nice lean tone at low volumes. Based on what you said you wanted, I'd check one out ~

ZMAN
June 6th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I picked up my Vox Pathfinder 15R for 100 brand new. I have 5 or 6 tube amps from 15 to 100 watts and this little amp sounds the closest to a tube amp. Nice cleans and reverb, and distortion, headphone jack and much more.
You can also put pedals in front for some really nice tone.

Eric
June 6th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I kind of figured this would come up at some point, but a used Roland Microcube might merit some consideration too.

piebaldpython
June 6th, 2010, 08:07 AM
You can still get brand spankin'-new Behringer GM110s....before they messed a good thing and added FX. I have one and so does DUFFY. It's the Behringer clone of the Tech 21 Trademark 30 analog amp. Damn good sound and speaker emulation w/active EQ.

Cost $100. A few places still have them. Got mine at audioallies.com. Takes pedals nicely too.

Duffy
June 9th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I HAD one, before it got indignantly ripped off by a relative I erroneously took in that was hurting. I should have let the jerk hurt on his own out in Omaha. Stole my Hwy One and Gibson Faded SG that was only a couple months old.

I really want to replace that GM110 Behringer. It was a really good amp, ten inch speaker, thirty watts, analog modeling, for only 98 dollars. I should try to find one. They are still out there new old stock.

Kazz
June 9th, 2010, 06:09 AM
The Peavey Transtube (bandit 112, Rage 158)s can be had for under 100 if you shop around....have not played the rage, but owned a Bandit 112 for a couple of years and wish I did not sell it.....the vintage tones out of it are smoking.

wingsdad
June 9th, 2010, 07:55 AM
..Behringer GM110.... It's the Behringer clone of the Tech 21 Trademark 30 analog amp. ...
...except without reverb onboard. Wisely, no attempt to mock an Accutronics spring tank. I had one of the early editions, a/k/a Vintager GM110, about 7-8 yrs ago.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/6028_1.jpg
Nice amp, but grew weary of the lack of reverb and swapped it towards a Peavey Transtube that ultimately became the now Rage 258; the version I had had onboard fx along the lines of a Roland Cube series. I see that Peavey's lowered the price on the Rage 258 down to a hundred bucks:
Rage 258 (http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116533/Rage(R)%20258.cfm)

Tone2TheBone
June 9th, 2010, 08:38 AM
The Roland Micro Cube is a smoker. Sounds big for being so small. I love mine.

Katastrophe
June 9th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Okay, add to the list:

Behringer GM110
Roland Microcube

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! This is really helping with the search.

Went to a local pawn shop a couple days ago. Nothing of any interest, except for a small Rocktron Velocity amph for $25.

Duffy
June 10th, 2010, 01:27 PM
The Pathfinder is cool but only 15 ss watts.

If you search for the Behringer GM110 you will find them for about 100. They are 30 strong ss watts with a great 10 inch Bugera speaker, metal corners, xlr out for if you do play out, bunch of ins and outs, analog modelling as opposed to digital - this makes a big difference supposedly. Mine was awesome an loud. You could do small gigs with it, bars and things like that plus don't forget the xlr out to plug into the PA.

This amp is a value compared to the other ones we are discussing and has the power to be more than a practice amp.

That Peavey Bandt 112 will cost you more but is 100 watts, or 80 at least and sounds so good. They have, I seem to remember, a switch on the back for 25, 50, 75 and 100 percent power switching. I would really like to get one of these someday way more than picking up a Vox "Chromie" or a Vypyr, by far. These Bandits do a few things REALLY well.

Also of note, I picked up my fiance's grandson his first guitar and amp; an Agile AL2000 in white with gold trim, and a Peavey Royal 8 all tube five watt amp with attenuator on the back.

There have been many negative things said about the Valve King Royal 8 but I played with it for several days and found it to be a great little amp. Then I read you can mod it with a speaker to make it sound way better. Well, I thought it sounded really really good stock and since it is for a stark beginner, I decided to leave it stock. He will be blown away by this guitar and amp.

I got the Royal 8 Valve King Peavey for 99 dollars. I would search the net and call around and tell online places that MF was selling them for 99 and try to get a price match. I think they discontinued them but there should be a LOT of new ones out there. Seriously Katastrophe, I thought it was a real nice all tube practice amp with some nice overdrive and adequate clean headroom for living room playing.

But if you want something more, get one of those outstanding Behringer, yeah I know, GM110's and you will blow your mind for what you can get for 100 dollars. 30 watts, 3 amp models, 3 cab models, 3 overdrive style models; plus you get the overdrive controls and the eq. You can get a lot of different sounds out of this amp from Fender clean to high gain thrash, and all of the models are of good strong quality. Also you can combine the amps, cabs and overdrive models to get a lot of different basic sounds before you use the drive, volume and eq knobs. You can gig with this in a small venue, no problem.

Hope this helps and I don't mean to keep yammering about that Behringer. I guess it is because I want to get one myself, but I have been focusing on upgrading my gear to higher quality stuff. I should find room for that Behringer though, just because it is such a great amp.

progrmr
June 10th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I just bought a small amp for my coffee table to make noise while I doodle on the couch. Marshall MG10 I think - actually doesn't sound half bad. No reverb or even much tonal control at all but it fits the bill and was only $50 (used).

Line 6 Spider IV 75w for my main amp - I'm coming around to it although I didn't really like it when I first got it.

Duffy
June 10th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Progrmr,

I actually forgot to mention the outstanding little Marshall practice amp I bought new about a year ago. It is an MG15CDR, closed back, ten inch speaker I think, and a real tank reverb. It was NOS. 135 out the door. Great sounding little practice amp that blew AWAY the Vypyr 15 Christmas Tree lighting, jangle box million amps in one that I tried out RIGHT NEXT TO the Marshall MG15CDR, set up so I could plug right from one into the other while the sound from the one was still ringing in my ears.

I played the Vypyr 15 for about an hour, exploring its long learning curve and thought it was impressive but of low build quality.

I immediately, upon completion of my Vypyr testing, plugged into the Marshall and with the first four notes knew this was the amp for me. The contrast was immediately apparent: the Marshall did a few things really well and had a real mini tank reverb, plus was closed back and of far superior apparent build quality. The MG15CDR has no effects other than reverb and two channels and the Marshall FDD button that imitates a tube Marshall.

I immediately purchased the Marshall and have been very happy with it. My fiance uses it a lot. I also have an old Valvestate Marshall VS30R, no tube, that is awesome but old and I want to put a new speaker in it. I'm sure it will spark right up with a good speaker, although it has a decent Celestion ten inch ceramic in it now; I think the speaker is dried out and worn out if such can be the case. It is very muddy and I think a new speaker like a Ragin' Cajun will really hot rod this old Marshall solid state. What do you think?

Good luck on your small amp quest. The little Marshalls are really very nice sounding and well built, in my experience.

Retro Hound
June 11th, 2010, 07:41 AM
People have mentioned the microcube, but the Roland Cube 15 or 30 would be good also, and a little bigger. So that depends on what you want. If you're looking for cleans, they are fantastic and have a setting for metal and metal stack. You can find them used for about your price. Esp. the 15 watter.