PDA

View Full Version : DR Parts necks...building another Strat.

deeaa
June 3rd, 2010, 10:17 PM
I scored a Squier strat body yesterday, fully populated too...not very light, not very heavy, probably basswood. I figure I'll do some re-shaping/sizing down of the body, removal of the heavy lacquers, and throw in some real pickups etc, BUT I'll need a neck first and foremost.

Locally they sell DR Parts necks. Any experience on them? They are largely not finished except with some protective lacquer, but that's fine as I'd like to re-shape the neck some too, and it's no problem. BUT are they any good in terms of stability and straightness etc? Woodwork I can do, and lacquer etc. but if the basis isn't worth it....anyway, they be cheap, only like 60 bucks or so.

I have an ad in the local 'craigslist' for a neck as well, though.

Tibernius
June 4th, 2010, 06:38 AM
From the one I bought, I'd say they're slightly better quality than a Squier Affinity neck. Can't say how they'd relate to the higher-end Squiers as I've never played one. The neck itself's straight and it hasn't warped at all.

You'll almost certainly have to have the frets levelled if you've after a low action though. The one I bought's got a low point on the 11th fret on the low E.

I'm not 100% certain but I think they're made in the same place as the GFS necks. IIRC they were selling the DR ones as well at one point.

deeaa
June 4th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks...OK, I can do a fret level so that doesn't bother me...the frets itself are proper material, not some brassy looking thin wire as on the low end Squiers?

I'm looking at one for 60 'cluding machine heads...BUT it's got a strong contender in an Ibanez neck off an RG series axe I could have for 40...hmm...methinks I'll pick up the Ibanez first and then if it isn't what I like I'll get the DR one...the DR is all maple which I like, the Ibanez one has rosewood board and of course the headstock will HAVE to be cut to another shape :-)