PDA

View Full Version : Ambiloop

Justaguyin_nc
October 10th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Although I briefly mentioned this program in the pedals section, under loopers.. I thought it deserved a post of it's own.. After looking through the links over at http://www.loopers-delight.com/loop.html drooling over all the looper pedals, I came across the software links. Many are the purchase versions with pricetags worthy of buying a jamman or boss 20xl.. till I came across Ambiloop.. here is a program developing.. and developing very well. My current system is considered old by todays standards (1800 AMD with audigy card and Geforce Grafix) yet I was able to loop tracks with little trouble. This FREE software allows 8 tracks with sound on sound and you setup the time or tap in the time or just let it run on and then auto set the other loops to the track you wish.. also has Oscilator, Varible filters and Reverb effects... Simple layout that you will adjust to instantly.. quicksave features allowing all to be saved in wav format by the touch of a button. Although it is set up for 8 tracks.. you can erase a track quickly and overdub..looping forever from one to another..there is an insert option.. there is a dry mix to adjust fades.. Midi is also provided for those with midi pedals..overall.. it would be hard to beat at any software price. This is something anyone with a windows based system should look into before putting down any hard earned money on a looper pedal. A users group with the files and help can be found here: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ambiloop/ (I suggest here for information and files)

And the Homepage is here: http://evenfall.com/ambiloop/index.html

Features:
* Stereo and mono loop recording and playback.
* Play up to eight loops simultaneously.
* MIDI Control of nearly all software commands.
* Non-destructive editing of loop begin and end points.
* Eight quicksave/load slots for live performance or fast recall.
* Mix-to-track allows realtime mixdown of up to 7 tracks to an 8th track.
* Multimode filter and reverb for non-destructive effect processing.
* Seamless recording through loop end-to-beginning transition.
* Loop times up to 100 seconds or more (memory limited).
* Set loop point while recording.
* Instant multiply doubles loop length.
* Load and save loops as .wav files.
* Load and save Session, remembers loop, track and effect settings.
* Load and save Configuration, remembers user preferences.
* Solo and Mute available per-track.
* Set loop times by tempo and measure, or use manual mode to set loop times as you record.
* Insert Record allows a single loop to be captured on the fly.
* Metronome available in play and/or record.
* Record and play in reverse, switch directions any time.
* Undo last recording.
* Half speed recording & playback.
* Multiple sample rates supported (depends on audio card).
* Adjustable latency time.
* Uses PortAudio library technology for flexible on-the-fly selection of audio drivers and devices (thank you PortAudio group!).

Within minutes you will be laying down your rhythm track adding in the bass and putting some drums down...(your own that is) and then soloing off to your newly made band... it's that simple... ofcourse how you sound is up to your abilities...I sound yuck..but Im working on it..and enjoying every minute of it..:) practice with a band for free!

Tone2TheBone
October 10th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Thats cool, but you still need a computer to do this with. A laptop would make a portable "pedal" on the go I suppose.

Justaguyin_nc
October 10th, 2006, 09:45 AM
seems more people are using laptops these days.. even to gig with... we always find an excuse to buy more and more pedals.. but when it starts equaling $200-$300 a pedal.. it might make more sense buying the laptop..

Also.. alot of people never gig and have the computer available at home.. This is one way to save that $300+ to go towards another guitar or amp..:)

just another avenue to venture down..

Tone2TheBone
October 10th, 2006, 09:50 AM
This is true. Good point you've brought up. Can you explain the actual process of looping via a computer? Are you having to start and stop loops with a mouse while playing or are you using some sort of midi'd device as an interface?

Justaguyin_nc
October 10th, 2006, 10:06 AM
This is true. Good point you've brought up. Can you explain the actual process of looping via a computer? Are you having to start and stop loops with a mouse while playing or are you using some sort of midi'd device as an interface?

Personally...I have a FCB1010 Midi controller.. which stays under my computer desk .. I use it to change settings on the Fender Cyber-Champ.. it also can be used to trigger and change loops with Ambiloop although I have not set it up to do this yet.. at present I have assigned the spacebar on the keyboard to trigger them.. which is actually pretty quick... This free program gives you the options to map a keyboard or a midi device.. pretty neat.. and laptops are getting dirt cheap.. plus..if you do create something computer based.. that you would use live..then would be the time for the $300 pedal..;)

Justaguyin_nc
October 10th, 2006, 10:09 AM
at present I have assigned the spacebar on the keyboard to trigger them.. which is actually pretty quick...

I don't know if speed is really needed in looping.. point: if you watch those using it live..they usually set a beat.. wait for it to come around set another..etc etc etc.. then just solo over them... just an after thought...

Tone2TheBone
October 10th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I was wondering if there was a foot controlled midi device that could do these things for you on the fly while you're ripping screaming solos thats all. If there is then yeah you'd have a slick system using a laptop and you'd probably be able to save as many loops as your hard drive space allows.

Justaguyin_nc
October 10th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Yeah, the FCB1010 would do it..as would any that trigger midi channels... the program allows for one on the fly track....and the ability to mix them all into one track to open other tracks.. leaving you with as many spaces as you wanted or latency would allow (cpu etc).. which I have yet to experience... reading up on it at the user group would open up all the possible uses.. it seems to have all the features a looper pedal has.. (disclaimer: I am not trying to sell this FREE system, just bringing it to attention..:) )

Spudman
October 10th, 2006, 07:58 PM
This sounds pretty cool. I'm going to check it out. The only problem is that you can't take it to a gig.

Tim
October 11th, 2006, 03:34 AM
So Justaguy - Have you done any experiements with the Ambiloop computer program? I was wondering if it is worth downloading the program. Ambiloop kind of remeinds me of the Audacity recording program. Do you have any samples of jam sessions to show what it can do?

Justaguyin_nc
October 11th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I Just mess with it Tim.. more or less a practice device... it's worth downloading if your wondering what to do with a looper... it's not if ya don't want to use a looper..:)

Justaguyin_nc
October 13th, 2006, 03:42 PM
So Justaguy - Have you done any experiements with the Ambiloop computer program? I was wondering if it is worth downloading the program. Ambiloop kind of remeinds me of the Audacity recording program. Do you have any samples of jam sessions to show what it can do?

Well.. it's kinda like any tracking program.. but it loops.. With audacity you would make a rhythm in say your first track... and either keep playing it for a few minutes..or copy paste it to itself to get a few minutes.. then you would open another track and add a bass.. then another track to solo on...

With Ambi loop.. here.. this just a silly lil file.. I started track 1 with a small rhythm.. hit the edit button to trim the beginning and ending.. hit the multiply button a few time so I had length to use a solo I wanted to copy later..( I could have just let it loop as it was).. then I activated track 2 which is a click away.. played a simple bass.. added the Ambiloop Reverb effect to it to make a airy sound out of it.. activated the next track.. soloed poorly over those two tracks.. next I hit the 4th track activate and press mixed to track which put those three into one track.. I then added effect to it and turned the volume way down just to hear it in the background kinda sorta.. then I activated track 5.. used mix to track again using 1-4 tracks.. and ended up having this.. all which took probably 10 minutes..(was just messing) ... whats nice is its all right there in front of you and easy to layer one on another will little trouble..adding and taking effects from tracks you decide on..