PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone sanded the back of their neck?

Mystrom
June 4th, 2010, 03:47 AM
I was playing guitars in my friends guitar shop. And a couple of the guitars had unfinished or sanded necks. I liked it so much I am contemplating sanding my Hag. Has anybody done this to one of there guitars?

Tig
June 4th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I've lightly sanded a cheaper than average Epiphone LP Jr neck that had a very sticky gloss coat with 400 grit. The clear coat is still intact, but now has a satin finish. I masked it off well first.

If I find the need to do this for a nicer guitar, I'll use 600 grit followed by some emery cloth. I wouldn't sand more than enough to knock down the sticky gloss surface.

Robert
June 4th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Yes I have done it on several on my cheap guitars. Start with a rougher grit and go down to the finest grit you can find.

kerc
June 4th, 2010, 07:39 AM
A good trick for painted finishes is to go over them with #0000 steel...Leaves them smooth and snag-free, and with constant use, they acquire a nice, smooth shine (I suppose from your own hand oils), but remain smoother than a conventional painted neck.

hubberjub
June 4th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I've sanded the neck (and the rest of the guitar) on my Gibson LP. I applied a rub on oil finish afterward. I love the feel of it.

Robert
June 4th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I put Tung Oil on my sanded necks.

sunvalleylaw
June 4th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I did it thinking it would cut down on the neck hair, but it just kinda hurt and then ended up being itchy.

Monkus
June 4th, 2010, 11:11 AM
also, its difficult to do all of it with a mirror...

duhvoodooman
June 4th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I found it really irritating. Couldn't wear collared shirts for a week....

sumitomo
June 4th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I was itchy too,but I couldn't wear underware.Sumi:D

Katastrophe
June 4th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I was itchy too,but I couldn't wear underware.Sumi:D

You sanded the back of your neck & couldn't wear underwear?:what :bootyshake

FrankenFretter
June 4th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I have an SX Strat copy with a satin finished neck. I prefer that to a glossy neck, it feels really nice. Not itchy at all.

kidsmoke
June 6th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Timely, I started wondering the same this past week. Had to perform a song where i very quickly had to go 7/9/2. As a newb on stage, I was a bit steamy, and It felt like I had super glue on my left hand. This is on my glossy neck Idol, (similar to the Swedes, same owner, same plant perhaps.)

My teach said this is one reason Fenders are great rhythm guitars. So I started wondering about sanding it down myself.

SuperSwede
June 6th, 2010, 11:09 AM
This is on my glossy neck Idol, (similar to the Swedes, same owner, same plant perhaps.)

Now I´m really curious! :D

Mystrom
June 6th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Now I´m really curious! :D
Me too!

kidsmoke
June 6th, 2010, 02:45 PM
the geometry is proprietary to Washburn of course, but I'm thinking the finish materials may be coming out of the same can. Who knows. Regardless, that glossy v satin issue is a real one, and this Idol is my go too, as pretty as it is, nothing is as beautiful as function. If taking it down makes it a better axe, then off it comes!

Robert, you said you've done it to your cheapos. Even a new Swede is a relatively inexpensive. do you see it as a definate advantage? or will you leave the Swede glossy?

Robert
June 6th, 2010, 02:56 PM
No definite advantage, no. I will leave the Swede glossy.

sunvalleylaw
June 6th, 2010, 04:00 PM
My strat is satin, my Hagstrom viking is glossy. I don't find one to be slower or faster than the other really. I may slightly prefer the feel of the satin, but not really. In fact, the Hagstrom neck is just darned fast, comfortable and easy, and the resinator on the top is kind of satin. So no advantage at all to sanding it in my book.

ryan99
June 6th, 2010, 07:21 PM
if u have a glossy finish its sometimes nice to sand off the gloss and leave the nice flat color on, thats sometimes pretty comfertable, but down to bare wood may be uncomfertable

kidsmoke
June 6th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I think part of my problem may be that I've been overwhelmingly an acoustic player, and the light touch and movable shapes of rhythm electric is just a feel I need to develop.