PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400 Electric Guitar

MAXIFUNK
June 4th, 2010, 01:50 PM
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-1966-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=512455

Anyone ever play or own this guitar? Just wondering what the Fret thinks of this axe.

LeadedEL84
July 9th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I know this thread is over a month old but I didn't see it before. Kinda surprised no one replied to it. A friend of mine had an Epi G-400. It was a black one. I played it a few times. At the time I wasn't much of an SG fan. I was in the peak of my Strat phaze. To me any SG felt headstock heavy including the Epi. Besides that the guitar felt pretty good. The action was fairly low and even from the factory. The neck felt good and solid. He was playing through a rocktron modeling combo 2 x 10. He was in a band that was playing alot of Zeppelin and AC/DC type stuff and was getting the sound for it. I played his G-400 through both his Rocktron and the Fender Deluxe 112 plus (older Dynatouch series SS)that I had at the time. I am not sure what Epiphone puts in them for pick ups but they were pretty hot. The overall quality wasn't bad from what I saw. Seemed like a well built guitar and was not real expensive. Keep in mind that was the early 2000s when it was bought new. I have no clue how Epiphone quality is these days.

I think that silverburst one looks great. That would be my pick.

Duffy
July 11th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Funk,

Not sure how I missed your post but I have one of these. Bought it back in '07 new in transparent cherry and have it on the bed with me right now. Played myself to sleep with it last night and probably will tonight. It is an awesome guitar.

I played about seven SG's one right after the other, arrayed in front of me at GC, no affln., including a couple Gibsons; thru the same amp at the same settings and this '66 copy SG sounded WAY better than any of the others including the blue metalflake spec. ed. Epi one and the Gibsons. I snatched it up on the spot for a great price, but probably not better than the 349 listed in your attachment. I want to get the black verision some day.

In fact I ordered a black '66 one and it came in the box labeled correctly, etc. When I opened the box I was staring at a solid amber flammed maple capped Epi LP Std Plus top, not the burst; twice as expensive guitar. I called them and told them the box was labeled right but it didn't have the right guitar in it. They were backordered and asked me if I wanted to keep the LP Plus top since it was close to Christmas and it was a present to myself. I jumped on that one and got an awesome LP amber plus top that I have since put covered Seymour Duncan pickups in: a JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck, awesome guitar, but I still would like to get a black one of those '66 copy Epi SG's.

I just put flat wound 11's on my transparent cherry '66 copy Epi SG yesterday and had the shop readjust the neck relief because of the extra force pulling on it. The action is real low and it plays beautifully. It is smooth and mellow. I just wanted to try some real flatwounds on it for a change and it has been fun. This is one awesome guitar: stock. And I modify a lot of my guitars, especially my epiphones. This one is staying stock for a while yet.

Did you get one or are you considering one? GC has a Black Satin one on sale, no affln., for 649 with a hardshell case. Quite a price difference though. That's why I got my new Fender MIM white std telecaster at GC during the forth of July sale while I was in Nashville. I went in for the MIM white telecaster but that satin black Gibson SG definitely got my attention, but I stayed focused and I'm glad I did because I got the pick of the crop and grabbed a new white MIM tele right out of the box with a beautiful straight grained, tight grained neck; just what I wanted.

Let me know if you like your SG if you got one.

MAXIFUNK
July 11th, 2010, 08:55 PM
EL84 & Duffy thanks for responding.

I really do think my next guitar might be a SG.
There was another thread and everyone's responses really peaked my interest.
I already was sort of digging the Zoot Suite but have never been able to find one to check out in person. 61 reissue also looks cool but both cost more money than I want to spend currently considering all of the gear I have bought in the last year plus.

But at that price for the Epi as long as it came with good recommendations I would consider it for a bday or holiday gift. LOL
But if I had to pick a color for the SG I would pick the black or silverburst.

I'll have to flip a coin tweaker or SG. LOL

Brian Krashpad
July 22nd, 2010, 06:59 AM
I had a regular G400, black, MIK. It was a decent guitar, fit and finish and action were all good. I wasn't fond of the pickups, which I found somewhat muddy. Taking the covers off might've opened them up, but I never got around to it. The current models may have upgraded pickups, I don't know. Otoh, I think production is now in China rather than Korea, which could affect quality as well.

I did gig mine unmodded on several occasions. Mine had the small pickguard, which I much prefer to the large guard featured on the special edition. I picked my G400 used up in a pawn for $175, obviously several years ago.

Basically, like Strats, I'm just not an SG guy. The light body and neck-heavy tendencies of the SG are not my thing. Like Strats, I don't dislike them enough to not own one, either, since they're one of the iconic designs that everyone should have at least some kind of example of (in a perfect world).

;)

My current "SG," which I am very happy with, is an Agile Valkyrie II. I bought mine new on closeout for $99 + shipping when they killed the model in favor of a new design that was less SG-looking. The quality is just as good as that on the G400, but I much prefer the P-90's on the Agile (sfaik, Epi has never made a P-90 SG):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/64969414_025241fa57_o.jpg

After buying the Agile, the G400 was redundant so I sold it. By coincidence, although the Epi special edition claims a '66 SG as it's heritage, I'd posit that my Agile, with P-90's and a small guard, is a lot closer to a '66 SG than the Epi, despite the body shape tweaks and Agile name on the headstock on mine.

:D

Duffy
July 22nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
My sixty six copy SG is outstanding, stock.

I hand picked it from several SG's I played side by side. It is an awesome example of an SG and looks like an SG, unlike the Agiles and LTD's.

I have an inexpensive LTD Viper fifty that is also awesome, considering the 149 used price, mint, plastic still on it, no scratches, black cherry paint. The body contours, though are somewhat distorted.

I have never had a neck dive problem with my Epi SG but I use leather four inch straps with rawhide on the inside, handmade by me using a major mfg model as a template.

It is one of my favorite guitars and I think they are some of the best looking guitars. The mahogany cherry stained transparent finish is awesome and brilliant. The guitar is awesome, stock. I would buy a black one in a second.

Actually tried to but got sent an amber Epi LP std plus top in the sixty six box by accident and they let me keep it even though it cost twice as much if I was to buy the LP. So I got a really awesome LP instead of the black SG, much to my satisfaction. The LP now has high quality SD pups in it and sounds incredible.

The 66 SG copy is definitely a good buy, by my experience; and it has a "vibe" to it that a lot of guitars definitely lack, expecially clones.

Brian Krashpad
July 22nd, 2010, 12:05 PM
The 66 SG copy is definitely a good buy, by my experience; and it has a "vibe" to it that a lot of guitars definitely lack, expecially clones.

I make my own vibe. :dude

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/birfday2005BKsingJT.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/birfday2005allBKlunge.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/birfday2005RJJTBKshout.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/birfday2005BKfloor.jpg

Duffy
July 22nd, 2010, 12:10 PM
Seeing the "bigger picture" I see what you mean.

I'll get an Agile one of these days.

Brian Krashpad
July 22nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
Seeing the "bigger picture" I see what you mean.

I'll get an Agile one of these days.

No worries, I'm just d*ckin' around. Agiles are a good bargain, especially if you can get one that's a second or on close-out, then they become a really good deal.

Btw, my G400 had vibe too:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/BotBIIfloorBKkneel71204.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/BotBIIBKbehindhead71204small.jpg

:D