And this guy is Brazilian? Oh dear.

_E0E-jfAD1U

marnold
June 4th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Must be new cleats.

markb
June 4th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Must be new cleats.

(An englishman writes) That's "studs". Oh, and the game is called "football" :)

marnold
June 5th, 2010, 08:34 AM
(An englishman writes) That's "studs". Oh, and the game is called "football" :)
Actually a "stud" is either: me, a 2x4, or a racehorse

I did a little research one time into the word "soccer" and found that the term is just about as old as the game itself and the term comes from Britain. I've been less lucky trying to find why American football is called football since it has so little to do with feet. The only thing I could find is that football seemed have its origins in rugby which was also called football. The U.S. football is shaped more like a rugby ball as well. I also did not realize how many American football teams there are in Europe.

If push comes to shove, I'll just fall back on my "Ugly American" argument: "We're America. That makes us right."

sunvalleylaw
June 5th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Hmm, I guess he intended a fake to cause the goalie to commit, with the other player to follow up to shoot. He must have missed and contacted the ball when he meant not to. oops.

markb
June 5th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Actually a "stud" is either: me, a 2x4, or a racehorse

I did a little research one time into the word "soccer" and found that the term is just about as old as the game itself and the term comes from Britain. I've been less lucky trying to find why American football is called football since it has so little to do with feet. The only thing I could find is that football seemed have its origins in rugby which was also called football. The U.S. football is shaped more like a rugby ball as well. I also did not realize how many American football teams there are in Europe.

If push comes to shove, I'll just fall back on my "Ugly American" argument: "We're America. That makes us right."

Of course you are, dear boy ;)

"Soccer" is supposed to derive from "Association Football". Almost no one in the UK uses the expression. It's common in NZ because if you say "footy" you mean rugby (usually union rules).

FWIW, this is more like the origin of football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haxey_Hood#Playing_the_game), all types.