View Full Version : Locking Tuners

Plank_Spanker
October 10th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I LOVE 'em!!!

They make string changes a very quick chore! :D

Anyone else use them?

Spudman
October 10th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I have Sperzels on my main Strat. I'm not sold on them and would be willing to try another brand. It's a great idea and I've played with other players who have awesome tuning stability with them. I haven't been as fortunate with mine. I even put in a graphtec nut to no avail.

I do have plenty of guitars with a locking nut, and that is a CHORE to change strings but I never go out of tune....until I try playing. :eek:

srv-fan68
October 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I recently installed a set of Sperzels on my main Strat and now I want to put them on everything. They are simply amazing.

Spudman, what don't you like about the Schallers?

duhvoodooman
October 11th, 2006, 01:47 PM
My Strat Plus has 'em, and I love 'em, too! As you say, Spanky, it makes restringing so much quicker & easier!

Spudman
October 11th, 2006, 04:58 PM
I recently installed a set of Sperzels on my main Strat and now I want to put them on everything. They are simply amazing.

Spudman, what don't you like about the Schallers?

Oops. That was supposed to read Sperzels not Schallers. I'll change it in the old post.

They just don't seem to hold. I don't even use the trem bar and I still have to keep retuning.:(

Plank_Spanker
October 11th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I have Schallers on my main Strat. I'm not sold on them and would be willing to try another brand. It's a great idea and I've played with other players who have awesome tuning stability with them. I haven't been as fortunate with mine. I even put in a graphtec nut to no avail.

I do have plenty of guitars with a locking nut, and that is a CHORE to change strings but I never go out of tune....until I try playing. :eek:

Just my take here:

I don't believe that locking tuners contribute a whole lot to the tuning stability of a trem system. When you release string tension, the winds are going to relax on the peg. When you release the trem, the winds are going to settle where they may - and not necessarily where they started from. I think locking tuners help, but the money is at the nut. Roller nuts add more stability, but the only way to make a whammy / trem really solid is to lock the nut and ensure that the string end at the bridge doesn't bind or slip.

Locking tuners have somehow been sold as a "cure all" for tuning stability on trem systems. They aren't.

Spudman
October 11th, 2006, 06:43 PM
With the locking tuners you avoid the multiple wrap. Usually you get about 1/2 turn on the tuning peg.

That is why they help with tuning stability. I think you are right about the nut too. I just have problems with my nuts I guess.

duhvoodooman
October 11th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I just have problems with my nuts I guess.
:D :D :D You're incorrigible....