PDA

View Full Version : CD Storage: Digipak vs Jewel Case - which do you prefer?

tremoloman
June 6th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Hello everyone...

I have to ask everybody which you prefer more... the digipak or jewel case for storing CDs?

Personally I think both SUCK but I prefer the jewel case since they can be stood up and store evenly. I see more and more CDs now using the paper digipak style which I think BLOW since they don't store well and warp when stack or moisture gets anywhere near them. Also, if the little spokes that hold the CD break in a digipack you are screwed where at least with a jewel case you can replace it with a new one.

What are your thoughts?

t_ross33
June 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM
As more and more music is sourced online, CD's are becoming a somewhat obsolete medium (hard to believe they've been around for 25 yrs + :what ) with nothing on the horizon to replace them.

Since CD sales are no longer a big revenue generator, especially for independent artists, cost of jewel cases vs digipack certainly comes into play. Some also like the "green" aspect of the biodegradable packaging :rolleyes: and it does offer a bit more flexibility as far as "album art" etc. goes.

I immediately rip the CDs I buy to my computer anyway and the original gets "stored" in a drawer in my entertainment centre.

As an aside, I just hooked up my old tape deck to run through my 5:1 receiver and am taking a trip down memory lane with a box of cassettes from back in "the day" :dude

sunvalleylaw
June 6th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I do what T-ross does. I still like to buy CDs when I can rather than download, if I can wait to get to a decent store to get what I want. When I do get a CD, I prefer the cardboard cases particularly if they open with some album art, and maybe have some inserts like lyric sheets, etc. I do not really like jewel cases, which I end up breaking a lot.

Heywood Jablomie
June 6th, 2010, 04:00 PM
One word: iPod

FrankenFretter
June 7th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I don't even know what a Digipack is. Aside from my Plankton CDs, which came in jewel cases, I haven't purchased a CD in years. I download everything. CDs take up too much room.

tremoloman
June 7th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I don't even know what a Digipack is. Aside from my Plankton CDs, which came in jewel cases, I haven't purchased a CD in years. I download everything. CDs take up too much room.

Digipak are ones made mostly out of cardboard/paperboard where jewel cases are 100% plastic.

Eric
June 7th, 2010, 02:41 PM
The face of music seems to be changing and most of it occurs online. However, my preference between the two options you mention when buying music is a jewel case by far. I hate digipaks.

Personally, I use little white CD envelopes most of the time, but I also don't mind the thinline jewel cases.

bigG
June 10th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I'll take either one, as long as it's a CD jacket that you can physically hold in your hand! With liner notes and art and pictures, etc...

So no vote from me, as voting for one or the other would skew the results unfairly. It's a wash for me. :french