PDA

View Full Version : Modding my Danelectro U2

BobbySwift
June 7th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Just bought a Danelectro U2 second hand. in pretty nice shape though. I'm thinking of modding it and my first port-of-call was to upgrade the bridge. i have heard that the rosewood saddles are a bit sub-par and thought that would be a good place to start. Since i don't want to do it over and over again, i was wondering if anybody could help me out. Should I go with just the Danelectro brand intonatable upgrade bridge, or what i would rather do and go balls-out for a frequensator-style tailpiece and gibson abr-1 bridge. I'm not sure if it will work or even fit given it's length, but I think the frequensators look cool. Thoughts?????

markb
June 7th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Or you could try this.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/julian.mullen/Resodan.htm

BobbySwift
June 8th, 2010, 03:52 AM
I saw a couple of those type of up-do's. i think it is probably a little over my head since this will be my first foray into any sort of guitar project!

Kazz
June 8th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Good luck since those are made of plywood now.

markb
June 8th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Plywood? The traditional Danelectro construction is a sheet of masonite (hardboard in the UK) over a frame made of pine or spruce battening. This makes them a bit prone to dents but the hardboard is surprisingly tough once you get a good skin of paint and lacquer on it.

The problem arises when you try to bolt things to the guitar in places not reinforced in the origin design. There's just not enough strength in the hardboard sheet to support screws. A trapeze tailpiece should be OK if you can find one short enough. A Frequensator would be far too long.

FWIW, Julian Mullen's resonator makeover was surprisingly easy. I saw a few of these in the building stage and it was just a question of cutting out the hole in the top and the bridge and back pickup reinforcements.