PDA

View Full Version : Who is frying a turkey this Thanksgiving?

Plank_Spanker
October 10th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I am! :D

My regular - a 15 pound bird rubbed with sage, rosemary and garlic and injected with a mix of spices - TBD.

One hour in the fryer at 350 degrees and it's culinary heaven! :D

Mmmmmmmm.....................:D

Tone2TheBone
October 10th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Sounds like you know what you're doing. I've heard horror stories from people who blew up their boiling vats of turkeys. heh

I had deep fried turkey one year and it was pretty good. The way you describe yours sounds deelisshsciouss.

Spudman
October 10th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Yes it is a good way to burn the house down. I believe it is best to fry the turkey outside away from combustible material and most certainly guitars. Fried guitars are not the delight that fried turkeys are. Fried turkey is ska rump shus! It is zee best vay to cook zee bird.

Mark
October 10th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I brine my Turkey in an apple juice/brine mixture for 18 hours then slow cook it on the ole weber with a bit of mesquite, slice then eat and proceed to slip into a coma. Since Im self employeed I shut down for the whole week to savor the flavor better.

Plank_Spanker
October 11th, 2006, 06:29 AM
I brine my Turkey in an apple juice/brine mixture for 18 hours then slow cook it on the ole weber with a bit of mesquite, slice then eat and proceed to slip into a coma. Since Im self employeed I shut down for the whole week to savor the flavor better.

Oh, man.......that sounds good! :D

Could you share your brine recipe? I have the mesquite and the Weber.

Spudman
October 11th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Wow! If it's good enough to put you into a coma I want it too.:D

Plank_Spanker
October 11th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Yes it is a good way to burn the house down. I believe it is best to fry the turkey outside away from combustible material and most certainly guitars. Fried guitars are not the delight that fried turkeys are. Fried turkey is ska rump shus! It is zee best vay to cook zee bird.

There are indeed dangers to frying the bird. I've heard horror stories of oil overflowing or pots tipping and causing a conflagration. I put the bird in the frying pot and fill it with water to set my oil level before I rub and inject it. I fry well away from the house with a 25 pound extinguisher at the ready.

carp3nt3r
October 18th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Also remember to dry the bird before easing it into the oil, peanut oil has the highest smoking temperature so it is favored, but most will work at 350 or so without damaging the bird's flavor. Also beware of the cheap thermometers there are some that allow the dial to twist on the top of the sensor shaft and create errors in the readings. I use a digital thermometer now. Lastly the directions on any turkey fryer are to never do it indoors, i find its best not to do it where there is a roof over you such as a garage or carport, if you had a fire problem, it would flame up incredibly fast and very high. i would recommend to not do it on your deck either. im told homeowners insurance doesnt cover turkey fryer accidents. be safe, dont drink and drive ,or fry turkeys under the influence !!

carp3nt3r.

Plank_Spanker
October 18th, 2006, 07:52 AM
And EASE the bird slowly into the oil.

Spudman
October 18th, 2006, 09:05 AM
I'd like to roast a turkey...but I don't know that many one liners.

(on floor tom) barrrrump!

Tinky-Winky
October 23rd, 2006, 08:54 AM
Hold on, when you "fry" the turkey is it like in a big casserole dish with just a little oil on the bottom of the pan, or do you actually deep fry it like chips?

Spudman
October 23rd, 2006, 01:41 PM
Hold on, when you "fry" the turkey is it like in a big casserole dish with just a little oil on the bottom of the pan, or do you actually deep fry it like chips?

The whole defeathered and degutted turkey gets dropped fully in a vat of oil just like a huge ugly french fry. Which begs the question: catsup or fry sauce on your turkey?

Justaguyin_nc
October 23rd, 2006, 03:13 PM
Frying it hot in PEANUT OIL makes all the juices lock in... Deep Fry that bad boy... mouth watering golden brown! Turkey never tasted sooooooooo good!!

ted s
October 23rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
So do you get extra extra sleepy after eating this ?

Spudman
October 23rd, 2006, 04:00 PM
So do you get extra extra sleepy after eating this ?

No. Just regular sleepy, but for some unknown reason you have a really strong desire to go to work at McDonalds.:D

Cranium
October 23rd, 2006, 09:49 PM
I can see now why there are alot of overweight people on this forum ;).

Spudman
October 23rd, 2006, 10:28 PM
I can see now why there are alot of overweight people on this forum ;).

Wait a minute. How do you know anyone is over weight? I can't figure that out. I've never seen anyone here. As far as I know everybody looks like David Hasselhoff.:D

SuperSwede
October 24th, 2006, 12:05 AM
"I´ve been looking for freedom" - David Hasselhof... That is a damn bad song ;)

tot_Ou_tard
October 24th, 2006, 05:49 AM
"I´ve been looking for freedom" - David Hasselhof... That is a damn bad song ;)
So who is frying the 'Hoff this thanksgiving?