PDA

View Full Version : Coco Montoya

Bloozcat
June 7th, 2010, 10:18 AM
By sheer luck I was able to see Coco Montoya this past Friday night.

My wife and I were in the wine country north of San Francisco last week. On Thursday we drove back into San Fran to spend the last couple of days in the city before flying home on Saturday.

As we were walking up Mason St. about three blocks from our hotel, we saw a club called "Biscuits and Blues". We stopped to see who might be playing there and lo and behold, Coco Montoya was playing that night! I quickly went to the box office inside and bought 2-tickets for the 8:00 show.

We were seated at a table off to the side by the stage entrance door. When Coco and the band came in they went right by us. As a matter of fact, I had to get up and move my chair so they coiuld pass, it was so crowded. Needless to say, Coco was great. Even my wife liked him which was surprising (although she needed ear plugs to be able to tollerate the sound level).

I spoke to Coco briefly as he left the stage at the end of the show, and ran into him again going up the stairs after the show. I spoke with him about music and gear a little and asked him to settle a long standing arguement. I mentioned that I knew his yellow Strat had Bill Lawrence OBL's in it, but what pickups was he using in his blue Strat that he played the whole show? "Bill Lawrence. All L-250's", he said. Let me tell you, those pickups through his Fender Super Reverb just sing....

sumitomo
June 7th, 2010, 11:15 AM
YOU DAWG!!YOU I am a jealous sucker here!!! I'm listening to Coco today,one of his tunes that is a fav of mine is Beyond the Blues,when he kicks on his wah to go into the solo that attitude and tone of his makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.Naw I don't like his playing or nothing.LOL! Sumi:D

Bloozcat
June 7th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Check this out Sumi....

Not only Coco but a whole host of others as well...

http://bluescruise.com/

There's another one in the Carribean in Jan 2011, but it's sold out already! That figures. By the time I find out about something it's long gone....:thwap

sumitomo
June 7th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I wonder if they still Keelhaul stowaway's?Sumi:D

Tig
June 7th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Wow, that was meant to be! I believe that there are no accidents in life.

I'd love to catch a show.
Oh rats... my skin just turned a deep shade of green!!! :thwap

piebaldpython
June 7th, 2010, 03:14 PM
You lucky dog!! :drool

I have 5 of his CDs here at the office. His version of "Gotta Mind To Travel" just tears me up. No doubt, he can play.

MAXIFUNK
June 7th, 2010, 03:32 PM
This the 1st I have heard of him but i will check him out ASAP!

Tig
June 7th, 2010, 04:08 PM
This the 1st I have heard of him but i will check him out ASAP!

Start here, young man! :D
http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/coco_montoya

otaypanky
June 7th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I've seen him a few times, one of my favorite players and singers.

Being out there in California Bloozcat, did you ever get to hear another one of my favorites, Chris Cain?

Jimi75
June 8th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Lucky you!

Coco Montoya is an awesome musician. I love his phrasing. I think a lot of his extraordinary phrasing has to do with his experience as a drummer.