PDA

View Full Version : Doubletap covering Howlin' Wolf

mainestratman
June 7th, 2010, 03:50 PM
So we finally got some audio.. It's not great... hell, it's not even *good*.. but it lets us know where we stand. This is being recorded with an $8 PC mic hooked into my laptop, recorded in CoolEdit Pro 2. I squished it a little bit and played around with the EQ some.. but.. it is what it is. :-)

Play this through something with some bass capability. It REALLY sounds like @$$ on PC speakers.

Here's a little rocked-up version of Howlin Wolf's "Highway 49". And yes, that's how I really sing.. I'm not *trying* to channel some old blues guy. :-)

http://www.box.net/shared/7dqsev0asv

I'm fully prepared for "That sh*t sucks dude. Sell your equipment", so please don't sugar coat anything.

Thanks, and :beer:!

mainestratman
June 7th, 2010, 05:16 PM
12 views and no comments yet? LOL

You guys are KILLING me!

Katastrophe
June 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM
You don't suck. Don't sell your equipment.

I dig the growl in your voice. From what I can tell, the guitar/tones sound great, too.

The drummer did seem to slow down as the song went on, though. To the band's credit, y'all did keep locked in with him!

I liked it!

Hot rod that sucker even more, play it a little faster, and you'll have a great barn burner in the set.

Looking forward to hearing more!

marnold
June 7th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Are you playing guitar too? I thought it was great. Brought a smile to my face--can't ask for much more than that! Now all you have to do is cover "Moving" by the Wolf and you can be my personal hero.

piebaldpython
June 7th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Good stuff......I just love "in your face" blues. Kind of has a R L Burnside feel to it. Nothing wrong with the guitar playing either. I like how it sounds like the whole thing was recorded with ONE mike.

Put out some more stuff dude. Damn, pretty fine git playing. What are you using, what are you running it through and what F/X (if any) are you using?

mainestratman
June 7th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Wow guys.. thank you.. sincerely.. with the crappy quality audio and my own nerves of not putting anything out for so long.. I was a bit nervous.

@Kat.. I can't tell where drums are slowing.. I mentioned it to the drummer, so he'll stay more on top with it. I, too am really glad how quickly the three of us have dialed in on each other.

@Rev.. is me on guitar, yup. And shoving gravel through the mic. I'll check out "Moving".. can't have too many Wolf songs (we also do Killin' Floor with a verse from the Lemon Song tossed in).

@Pie.. I like the "in your face" as well as the "I need a shower" feeling after listening to it. This was literally recorded with one mic. A cheap Logitech PC mic. It's about 15 years old to boot.

My gear list is in my sigline. But for all the blues stuff, it's just the LP, the Hot Rod Deluxe (I'll have to go look at the settings if you want to know where everything is) and my Bad Monkey, everything but gain straight up. Gain is at about 2 or 3 o'clock.

First round is on me. Hell.. every round is.

I'm taking away one of the drummer's condenser mics this Thursday practice, and will be running EVERYTHING through the board, including mic'ing my amp... will try to glean some more audio through that.. hopefully a better mix.

But.. since you asked, here's the link to the folder: Hope you like these as well:

http://www.box.net/signup/collablink/d_44151988/379c3122fb00a

marnold
June 7th, 2010, 09:28 PM
@Rev.. is me on guitar, yup. And shoving gravel through the mic. I'll check out "Moving".. can't have too many Wolf songs (we also do Killin' Floor with a verse from the Lemon Song tossed in).
It's the first track on "Back Door Wolf." It's also the last track on the last disc of the Chess box set.

guitarhack
June 8th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I dig it. I'm sure it'll sound even better with a proper mic/recording setup. Sounds like you were having fun, too. Rock on!

mainestratman
June 9th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Well guys.. again I do appreciate all the positive comments. But the bass player decided he didn't like the audio and got all pissy that I posted it.

So gonna try this again tomorrow night.

Kazz
June 9th, 2010, 05:40 AM
damn fussy bass players....yes I said fussy and not the other word LOL. I thought it sounded great considering that it came through an outdated pc mic. I love me some good "call n response" blues. Chicago Blues are fabulous...just dont forget the delta. You need to do a kicked up version of crossroad blues, terraplane blues or love in vain.

mainestratman
June 9th, 2010, 05:50 AM
LOL @ Kazz.. you are a MUCH better diplomat than I am. I initiated an "electronic band meeting" last night (after some other bullpoop stuff) and tore someone a new one... it didn't work. Ugh.

Delta.. we have a lovely selection of delta.. Mr. Waters, Mr. Johnson, Mr. (Sunnyland) Slim, And I think a Mr. Perkins song.. we may have yanked that song.. the setlist has changed 8 times in the last month.. lol

piebaldpython
June 10th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Lookin' forward to your next installment. Get ya some R L Burnside.........."An A** Pocket Full of Whiskey". :digit

mainestratman
June 10th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Oh hell yeah.

:beer:

Robert
June 10th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Hey that was cool, man. Feel like having a few beers now... :beer: