PDA

View Full Version : RIP Marvin Isley

MAXIFUNK
June 7th, 2010, 05:26 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2010/06/07/2010-06-07_marvin_isley_of_the_isley_brothers_dies_at_age_ 56_in_chicago.html

Another Rock & roll hall of fame member dies way to young.

guitarhack
June 8th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Sad, and maybe even preventable. He says himself that he didn't take proper care with his diabetes. I still listen to the Isleys. Their sound is unique and production on their albums is always impeccable.

DeanEVO_Dude
June 10th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Aren't those the guys Jimi Hendrix first played with (professionally)? Sad, I won't say "so young", but certainly not old! 59 is only 15 years older than me! Music has lost an icon.

MAXIFUNK
June 12th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Yeah Jimi played with them right before he went off to England but by this time he had already played for Little Richard & Sam Cooke and few others at that point.

ZMAN
June 13th, 2010, 07:19 AM
One great story I heard was from Jimi's first audition with the Isley brothers. Who were looking for a guitarist. Jimi sat in and played and at the end of the audition they said he was in. Marvin asked Jimi if he needed any cash to tide him over until his first gig. Jimi said yes how about 10 bucks? He then said he could get some strings for his guitar. Marvin looked and Jimi only had 3 strings on his guitar. He had played the audition with only 3 strings and nobody noticed.