PDA

View Full Version : Mod pedal to mute?

M29
June 8th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Hello,

I have been using my acoustic quite a bit lately and I need a way to mute it and unplug when I am finished.
I have looked at the new cables that have the switch built in the end of them but they are quite expensive.
I have an old Boss pedal that has issues and I thought about converting it to a muting pedal.
It would basically be in/out-on/off and some way to mute any noise.
Is there a way to make it so it does not pop when I unplug it?

Thanks

M

Robert
June 8th, 2010, 01:48 PM
How about a pedal tuner? The Korg pitchblack for example. Added bonus - it helps you tune your guitar! :D :D :D

Eric
June 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I'd be interested in something like this too -- it would be both useful and financially responsible. Good idea.

M29
June 8th, 2010, 02:18 PM
That is a good idea Robert but I want something I can throw together this week with parts I have laying around here. Saving money for Tele parts right now. :dude

duhvoodooman
June 9th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Here's a simple design:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4967135_make-onoff-guitar-pedal-led.html

If you don't need the LED on/off indicator, then it becomes almost absurdly simple--just wire a stomp switch to make/break the connection between the two jack tips. With no LED, you don't even need to use a stereo jack on the input side.

If it "pops" when operated, just solder a 1M resistor between the tip and sleeve of the input jack. Might also be a good idea to connect the bottom right lug of the switch as drawn to the output jack sleeve, so that the tip is grounded when off.

M29
June 9th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Thats it Vood thats it. I was curious what size resistor to use for the pop. The rest is as basic as you can get for sure. :thumbsup

markb
June 9th, 2010, 02:38 PM
For no pop, and even simpler, get a cable with a shorting plug. They work. I'd recommend the Neutrik Silent Jack (http://www.theleadsfactory.co.uk/connectors/neutrik_tips_silent.html). Available in angled form too. Planet Waves do one but it's a fussy "switch on the connector" design.