PDA

View Full Version : Can you play Smoke On The Water

Robert
June 8th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Just checking... :running

Seems like it's forbidden to play this tune for some reason. People say it's overdone and overplayed, yet I've seldom encountered a band who had Smoke On The Water on their play list.

I guess it's the tune a lot of young players learn first, or so I hear. It sure was one of the first riffs I ever learned at the tender age of 13.

So, can YOU play it? :digit

Jimi75
June 9th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Funny that you aks! I have just played the main riff at our last gig, but it was meant to be a joke for the audience....

So yes, I can play that song, not only the main riff.

:dance

markb
June 9th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Oscar Wilde once said that a gentleman was "one who can play the bagpipes, but doesn't". Thus, as far as Smoke on the Water is concerned I am a perfect gentleman :)

oldguy
June 9th, 2010, 04:08 AM
I would much rather hear "Smoke on the water" played on guitar:digit than "Flight of the bumblebee" played on accordian! :running

(I can play it, but haven't for yrs.)

Kazz
June 9th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Yep.....count me in...can play it...but don't......kinda like Stairway to Heaven.

mainestratman
June 9th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Nope. Well, the opening riff, but I never bothered learning it. Not one of their better songs.

Tig
June 9th, 2010, 07:21 AM
70's flash back! :rockya

I was witness to the exact same phenomenon over and over:
Dude walks in to a room and sees a guitar, usually an acoustic, and picks it up immediately strumming (usually poorly) the power chords to "Smoke On The Water".
It is like a running joke. :mybad

Bloozcat
June 9th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I can, but I don't...unless I'm feeling particularly sardonic.

I agree that just like Stairway to Heaven it's been done ad nauseum. Not on many bands playlists today, but it seemed to be on everyone's back in the 70's.

It's hard to remember back to a time when the song hadn't been played to death, but it used to be a good song.

marnold
June 9th, 2010, 07:51 AM
A couple of years ago I learned the rest of the rhythm part and began working at the solo but never got any further than that. It was all prompted by my kids hearing the song for the first time and they really liked it. I didn't hear that song growing up anywhere near as much as I heard "Stairway." It probably is a testament to how influential those songs are that they have been played ad nauseam.

Katastrophe
June 9th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Learned the opening riff, but never learned the whole song. Ritchie Blackmore did say that the opening riff is to be played soley with the fingers.

It's not on any setlists these days because the song has been overplayed. Seriously overplayed.:spank

Tone2TheBone
June 9th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I just played it this morning.

;)

Spudman
June 9th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Yes. We had this in our set list for some time many years ago. I know it all the way through and can even toss it into a medely. It's become like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star for me. Just one of those songs that stick around.

Monkus
June 9th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Sure can, but dont. I actually taught the riff to a young 'un recently. Everytime I've heard it live, it was just the main riff meant as a joke. Even Metallica joked about it (somewhere on youtube).

progrmr
June 9th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I learned the bass parts for smoke on the water - it's NOT easy lol!

sunvalleylaw
June 9th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I know the main riff in a couple of different ways of playing it, but have not done so in a while.

Retro Hound
June 9th, 2010, 12:40 PM
We spent a couple days visiting some friends a few years ago and they had Guitar Hero. The kids played that song until I was sick of it! When we started learning real guitar last year, someone showed my 13 year old how to play the opening riff only using the low E string. He refuses to learn it the right way.

M29
June 9th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I stumbled on to it a sometime ago while trying to figure out something else. It is forever etched in my mind. Grad 1971.

street music
June 9th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I have the riff down like several others but like Stairway to Heaven , I CAN'T PLAY THE ENTIRE SONG, as I have found with a lot of people. I do like both songs as they are classic material.

sumitomo
June 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Street I'm with ya man I know the riffs but not the hole songs.Sumi:D

R.B. Huckleberry
June 9th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I can, and do.

The trick is getting the tone & technique correct. Most people play it hoirribly, horribly wrong. :)

bigG
June 10th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I think that's one if the first riffs newbies learn, no? That and Iron Man...(here's a little secret you may not know abt Iommi and Iron Man: for that slight 1/4 step dive down at the intro, he presses the low E string behind the nut, strikes the string, then slowly releases the pressure...)

I can and have played it too many times. Never played it live, just another riff to learn through the years. I wonder who all uses standard tuning and who uses dropped-D? Anybody? I've always used standard, but dropped-D has become so de riguer these days...

DrumBob
June 10th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Yes, but why would I want to?