PDA

View Full Version : Brian Krashpad: real lawyer?

Brian Krashpad
June 9th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Well, the next 48 hours should be interesting. I'ma feel like a real lawyer by the end of it methinks. And for a change I'll actually get paid like one.

One of our firm's biggest clients (all our clients are in fact lawyers) wants me to go to an exam review proceeding with him in Tampa from 8-5 on Friday. Since our firm only does consulting, and the other person the Florida Bar will allow in the room is the examinee's "counsel," I'm officially taking the day off from my regular job and being this client's lawyer, for a day. We're going to be reviewing his answers on a specialization certification exam to see if we can't squeeze a few more points out of it so he doesn't have to take the test again.

He must really not want to take that test a second time, because he's paying me to drive down (2 hours away), and for a room at the Marriott (where the review proceedings take place) tomorrow night, and for a rental car. Should be a bit of an adventure. I never get out of the office or travel. Heck, on Friday I may even wear a suit. (Today at the office, as per usual, I'm wearing cargo shorts, a t-shirt, and slaps.)

Plus, even at my bargain rate of $135/hour, if I'm there from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., well, you can do the math. And instead of it going to the firm and me getting my usual paltry salary, it all goes to me, baybee.

Send lawyerin' mojo!

marnold
June 9th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Make sure you wear your best lawyerin' CBGB t-shirt! Or, failing that, a tube top in conservative colors.

Brian Krashpad
June 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Make sure you wear your best lawyerin' CBGB t-shirt! Or, failing that, a tube top in conservative colors.

Done!

Katastrophe
June 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM
You have to wear the pink wighat with the tubetop. And arrive every morning on your skateboard. Playing the mandolin.:dance

Brian Krashpad
June 9th, 2010, 05:18 PM
You have to wear the pink wighat with the tubetop. And arrive every morning on your skateboard. Playing the mandolin.:dance

Got it!

:dude

Katastrophe
June 9th, 2010, 05:28 PM
We're nothing if not here to help.:pancake

It's way cool that you're gonna get what appears to be a fantastic payday.

Any GAS plans for your windfall?

Brian Krashpad
June 9th, 2010, 05:42 PM
We're nothing if not here to help.:pancake

It's way cool that you're gonna get what appears to be a fantastic payday.

Any GAS plans for your windfall?

Alas, everything I make Friday is going towards bills-- new A/C unit at Casa Krashpad, higher car insurance rates (daughter had a crash), deductible on Mrs. K's gall bladderectomy, etc.

Cool though, I'm outta room for more gear anyhow.

Eric
June 9th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Noice. I find weird work excursions to be mildly upsetting of the routine I fall into, but fun nonetheless (I'm talking about all jobs here, since I'm not a lawyer). It certainly is a bit of an odd reason.

Here's hoping it all works out for you!

sunvalleylaw
June 9th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Go get em!

Tig
June 9th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Don't go all Denny Crane on us!
http://silentopinion.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/denny-crane.jpg

kiteman
June 10th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Will the defendant please rise. :D

mainestratman
June 10th, 2010, 06:16 AM
You should treat yourself to some GAS cravings you may have been experiencing of late.

And a beer.

M29
June 10th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Lets see now...What would be a good (next) guitar for the Krash? Hm.....:gossip

Bloozcat
June 10th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Yep, gotta step up and put on your big boy pants, Brian (shirt and tie too!) :poke

Seriously, good luck with this, Brian. It could be an opening for you to expand your resume...:AOK

Brian Krashpad
June 11th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I'm back! Went down to Tampa, had a beautiful view of the airport parking garage from my room (also the pool, but no one used it :( ) in the Airport Marriott.

My client got there too late for dinner TH night, so I had to wander into the airport before the fast food joints closed down to grab a burger. (Earlier, I went down to the hotel bar for a large beer. I probably coulda charged it to my room that he paid for, but I didn't. Didn't buy any pron on the hotel TV either! What's wrong with me?!)

This morning we went to the exam review for 4 hrs or so, then I drove back to Gainesville. I think I'ma clear about $1100 for the TH-FR work and travel, and it couldn't come at a better time.

For the record, I did not wear a suit for one second.

mainestratman
June 11th, 2010, 07:33 PM
$1100? That'll get you a nice SG.

Brian Krashpad
June 11th, 2010, 08:01 PM
$1100? That'll get you a nice SG.

I bet I could get 2 Gibby SG's for that. Maybe not "nice" though. ;)

But, a moot point.

All going to family bills.

M29
June 11th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Bills...Bills... Good man, good man!:rockya

Brian Krashpad
June 11th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Bills...Bills... Good man, good man!:rockya

Haha, no biggie, I already got tons of guitars and gear, I'm literally out of space for it anyhow.