PDA

View Full Version : Wah pedal recommendations

Eric
June 9th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I've come to the point where I'm finally ready to give wah a try. I would demo a bunch of stuff, but I find I don't really form much of an opinion until I've lived with a pedal for a long time, so I'm trying to gather opinions up front. Here's what I've been considering:

Budda Budwah
Vox wah
Dunlop Crybaby
Behringer Hellbabe

The Budda pedal seems to get pretty universal accolades, but it's definitely pricey and hard to come by used. I'd say they're probably listed in rough ranked order right now.

Any thoughts?

markb
June 9th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Any of the above except the Behringer. I've got one of those and just can't recommend it. I think Gearmandude on has some wah shootouts on youtube.

Eric
June 9th, 2010, 09:59 PM
BTW, what's the difference between the Vox V847 and V845 wahs?

Robert
June 9th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I have some wah demos on dolphinstreet too. After testing a bunch, I went with the Dunlop Classic Crybaby. I love it. The best sounding wah pedal I've ever used.

Eric
June 9th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I think Gearmandude on has some wah shootouts on youtube.
Indeed. It seems like the Vox is a bit brighter and cleaner than the Dunlop, but I'm not honestly sure if that's good or bad. Now reaching the end of his video, that seems to be his conclusion as well.

Eric
June 9th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I have some wah demos on dolphinstreet too. After testing a bunch, I went with the Dunlop Classic Crybaby. I love it. The best sounding wah pedal I've ever used.
Yes, I remember you going through a bunch of wah pedals and deciding on the Dunlop. That's good to know, since it's ubiquitous and pretty easy to find on the cheap used. Too bad I didn't grab SVL's for $25 when he was selling it!

ZMAN
June 10th, 2010, 06:26 AM
+1 on the Crybaby. I had one in the early 70s and sold it and I purchased a new one in the mid 90s, it is just has the right sound for a wah pedal. The new ones probably have more bells and whistles, but I was happy to get one that would run without batteries. What I like is they are built like a tank and I have never had a problem with either of them.

Jimi75
June 10th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Here's a clip I have recorded with my Vox V847A. It's the cheapest model they produce, but I just love it, the sweep range of the pedal is perfect.

http://www.box.net/shared/eekvbjrq4i

mainestratman
June 10th, 2010, 07:05 AM
I have to vote for the Crybaby as well. I've used a good ol' GCB-95 for close to 20 years and love it.

I would entertain the Budwah, but only because I'm fairly Buddhist and I think Buddha would get a huge kick out of something like that.

Tig
June 10th, 2010, 08:04 AM
After a year of use, I'm still enjoying the Budda Budwah (the older ugly purple one). It was the most vocal wah I tried. The only thing I'd change would be to give it a bit more sweep range. You can open it up and adjust the range's pitch up or down if needed.
Bypass is dead quiet. They now have a new case and pedal outers, but the internals are suppossed to be the same.

I'd demo some of the Vox's, and perhaps the Crybaby Classic Robert loves. Let your ears tell you what's best.

Jimi75
June 10th, 2010, 08:18 AM
How about a Roger Mayer Red Lion Wah upgrade kit. It fit all common Wah pedals and the upgrade ist done in 5 minutes.

I used to play mine for several years until it accidentally broke.
Here's a clip of the Roger Mayer Red Lion Kit:
Wah sound starts at 1:44
http://www.box.net/shared/krams2yl9s

Tig
June 10th, 2010, 08:54 AM
How about a Roger Mayer Red Lion Wah upgrade kit. It fit all common Wah pedals and the upgrade ist done in 5 minutes.

Very nice sounding, but the best price I can find is $119 US, which means it will have to wait a while.

Tone2TheBone
June 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Crybaby Classic with the red fasel thingy. Best sounding wah IMO. Had one...sold it to someone here and regretted it...found a practically brand new one on Craigslist for cheap and bought it.

otaypanky
June 12th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I had a Crybaby but it didn't get much use. I got a Whipple mod kit on eBay and installed it and liked the change. I ended up selling it and got a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe which is pretty nice

markb
June 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Get the Crybaby Classic and forget the mods imo. True bypass is useful but that's just a matter of swapping out the switch for a DPDT unit.
Look at mods if you get a bog standard Crybaby for a good price.

marnold
June 12th, 2010, 09:16 PM
You could try to find a Digitech EX-7 on sale so you could be cool like Robert, Spud, and, um, Me.

Kazz
June 13th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Yes, I remember you going through a bunch of wah pedals and deciding on the Dunlop. That's good to know, since it's ubiquitous and pretty easy to find on the cheap used. Too bad I didn't grab SVL's for $25 when he was selling it!

Yeah...I grabbed it up pretty quickly :-)

deeaa
June 13th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I have the Vox and I like it for the range & sweep, but I reckon I might like a Crybay better, I understand it would be a bit more ragged and dirty.

My friend has this old Crybaby that has some issues...but those issues make it a formidable pedal. The thing squeals and screeches like no other; you need to use it very carefully but it truly makes the guitar wail like a wraith...that's what I'd like in a wah. Very ragged, lively and even unexpected wails.

Eric
June 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Get the Crybaby Classic and forget the mods imo.
That's kind of how I was going to approach it. I want to go somewhere to test the Vox vs. Dunlop, but I think it might end up coming down to which one I can find at a better price used, since they're pretty comparable.

Zip
June 13th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Do what Duane Allman did - he used an almost-dead 9v in his fuzz & wah pedals. You can definately hear the difference in tone.

rylanmartin
June 13th, 2010, 05:57 PM
As lame as it sounds, I just ordered a Zack Wylde signature Crybaby. It has a bit more sweep that the Crybaby. Plus it looks really cool.

pes_laul
June 13th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I used to have a crybaby then one day it just died (well I got it for 20 bucks of ebay so what can you expect?) but I loved the tone when it worked.

deeaa
June 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Do what Duane Allman did - he used an almost-dead 9v in his fuzz & wah pedals. You can definately hear the difference in tone.

Oh yeah? That's interesting. Might have to try this. I wonder if the same effect could be achieved with an underpowered power supply as well...hmm...

Tig
June 13th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Oh yeah? That's interesting. Might have to try this. I wonder if the same effect could be achieved with an underpowered power supply as well...hmm...
That beats an almost dead battery dieing on you, which had to have happened to Greg more than once.

bcdon
June 13th, 2010, 10:43 PM
As lame as it sounds, I just ordered a Zack Wylde signature Crybaby. It has a bit more sweep that the Crybaby. Plus it looks really cool.
I don't know what could possibly be lame about that! Zakk Wylde is the man! :rockya

Tibernius
June 14th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Dunlop 535Q Crybaby. Adjustable range, and the "Q" setting adjusts how quickly the tone changes when moved off-centre. Everything from a standard Crybaby to something similar to a Vox.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=274

I got mine second-hand for around £50.

Eric
June 20th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Update: went to a Guitar Center to test out the main two (Dunlop and Vox) and see the practical differences. The Crybaby came out just a hair on top for me, though I'd be pretty happy with either of them. I also tested some Ibanez (not the weeping demon, but some reissue I think) at the suggestion of an employee that seemed nice, but a bit specialized. Worth considering, but I decided to go in another direction.

Anyway, turns out they had a used on there that looked pretty much new to my eyes for $50. Considering that a good number of ebay ones have about $10 shipping built in and CL owners highly overvalue their pedals and want $75+ for them, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Spent a bit of time with it when I got home, and it's pretty nice. Having never owned a real wah before (only the built-in one on the ME-50), I'm suprised by the shoulder somewhere in the middle of the travel that really changes the tone a lot. Maybe that was just an initial impression, but I'm looking forward to exploring it more.

Thanks to everyone for all of the help on this one!

Spudman
June 20th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Congrats Eric. That will turn out to be a good investment for you. Wah's are a lot of fun, especially into a flanger, phaser, delay tremolo, etc. ;) (it never seems to end):messedup:

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it. I don't think I've ever gigged without one in over 30 years. I like wahs too.

For all the wah lovers everywhere:dance

vwVAvnYKLJE

otaypanky
June 21st, 2010, 02:44 AM
It's pretty easy to slightly adjust the travel of the tone pot in one of those if you care to play around. If you take a peek inside you'll see what I mean. A small screw holds a guide in place that keeps the toothed bar connected to the pedal meshed with the gear on the tone pot. By loosening the screw you can jump the gears a cog or two. Just be sure you don't go too far so that the pot reaches the end of it's travel

deeaa
June 21st, 2010, 03:26 AM
Too abrupt a change IMO in most any wahs...I'm always wishing for some more travel and little less drastic change with small movements.

BTW that's why I always keep the wah first in the chain...if you have the wah after the drives, the wah screams a bit more but then the change is WAY pronounced, because the drive also changes drastically with wah movement...you can get a very pronounced wah quak that way but I like it a little less pronounced.

Best wah I have owned in terms of nice non-abrupt sound changes and nice travel was a Morley, but then it didn't much scream and wail either even when used with a heavy foot.

deeaa
July 18th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Hmm...I gotta try that trick too...

LeadedEL84
July 18th, 2010, 11:24 PM
A looooong time ago.....I had a Crybaby Hendrix Fuzz wah. It got some cool sounds but there were some things I didn't like about it. The Fuzz setting was not that great. Sometimes I had problems with accidently switching in or out of the Fuzz mode and accidently hitting bypass mode. Also the sweep was too fast. It dropped off into the dark, nasily sound when pulled back far too fast. Also going into the trebbley, sucked mids zone it got too bright right away. It was great for doing agressive,screeming,wah sounds but not for subtle stuff. I like to use a wah for tone shaping sometimes. Like getting that bright,sucked mids,Hendrix tone or a fat nasily Page sound. I couldn't do it with the Fuzz wah because I couldn't find the right notches. It was always too bright or too dark. I tried a regular dunlop Crybaby a few times since then and liked them better but still not for me.
I prefer the Vox wah. The sweep is extreme but feels right to me. I can get the sounds I am looking for with it. I can use it as an EQ for tone shaping or for screaming wah. It's not perfect but I like the classic wah sound it gets. I have wanted one for a long time and it will likely be my next equipment purchase.
I know someone who has a budda Bud-Wah. It's the purple one. He loves it. It's very versatile and sounds great. I've played around with it a few times. It is very nice and one of the highest quality wahs I've tested. It can be subtle or aggressive and sounds good about anywhere in the sweep.It just doesn't quite get the classic Vox sound I like(think Page,live on No Quarter from Song remains the same). They are expensive too!!

Bloozcat
July 19th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I too have a standard Crybaby with a Roger Mayer Red Lion kit in it and I'm very pleased with the tone. Not only does it have a Halo inductor, it also doesn't suck tone when it's off. It's got the tone sweep pot adjustment as well. I drilled a small hole in the base plate of the wah so I can easily get to the adjustment.

As cheap as the std. Crybabys are on the used market, you could pick one of them up cheap and install an Area 51 kit with a ICAR pot and a Carling 316PP DPDT footswitch. That would get you there or you could install a Red Lion kit...if they're still available.

guitardragon
August 15th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Check out the Fulltone CLYDE Deluxe Wah Wah. I have it, I love it, it has the best sound of all.

My Crybaby Deluxe is the only piece of equipment I ever returned. It started making loud clicking noises when activated....some say a "buffer" problem but I'm a guitarist, not a technician.

Not any problems with my Clyde and I gig with it at least 6 to 8 times a month. Couldn't do Jimi or Clapton without it! Great product. It costs more but I only buy the best when I can.

www.mikeimbasciani.com

__________________________________________________ _______

’04 Fender CS ’56 Stratocaster Relic RI 50th Anniv. Aztec Gold
'10 Fender American Select Mahogany HSS Strat
'07 Fender CS Vintage Heavy Relic HB Tele
'03 Gibson ES-345 RI
’03 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Fireburst)
Schecter California Custom Hellcat
Squier Bullet/Seymour Duncan HB/LockingTuners
Breedlove AD25/SR Plus Acoustic
Hohner ECA 612 12-String Acoustic

Moander
August 20th, 2010, 06:41 AM
If I'd have seen this thread earlier..... oh well...

I would have recommended the Ibanez Weeping Demon, the full one, not the toned down version.....

If you ignore, for a moment, all the buttons and switches, and set everything to 'center', it's a truly amazing pedal.

You can use the setting knobs to essentially dial in any Wah type you want. I was a fan (still am) of the old, Tel-Ray Morley pedals. They had an incredible range, great Wah.... no longer made....$80+ bucks on eBay used.....

I plugged in the Ibanez, and right out of the box, there was my Morley... I have since, and easily, obtained the Cry Baby tone, and the Vox tone, plus a huge variety of other tones......

Most versatile pedal out there IMO

deeaa
August 20th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I had one of those Weeping Demons for a good while - it was indeed a very good wah. Swapped it later for a Vox though.

Bloozcat
August 24th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Well, if money was not a consideration (and it usually is), I'd recommend one of Geoffrey Teese's Wahs.

The RMC1 is great for straight single coils, but the RMC3 is best for versatility. Best Wah-Wah I've ever heard, but for $235.00-$255.00 you'd expect it to be.

Eric
August 24th, 2010, 12:29 PM
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=177334#post177334

6stringdrug
September 1st, 2010, 08:03 PM
Wahs, IMHO, are one of the toughest pedals to give an opinion on. I have played a ton of them and they all sound different. Too low at the heel, too high at the toe, too screechy, too flat, no mid hump, too heavy mids....it becomes your ear's bane. Price can become an issue too. I play, this week, a budda budwah. Through sheer luck, I found an older model on ebay. I prefer it to the newer models, a little more classic sounding, but not gravelly as I think the voxs and dunlops can be. There is a definite + to the scratchy, almost muddy sound the less expensive wahs make, but for my $, this budda is awesome!!!! I had a chance to play a fulltone RMC and that was the best I've played yet, but the price was a bit high for me at that time. maybe another time.

otaypanky
September 1st, 2010, 09:36 PM
I don't use one often at all but I do get an itch to wah every now and then. Last year I started putting a few pedals together. I had an old CryBaby but it was kind of blah sounding so I got a Whipple kit from Mike on eBay. That was a cool mod.
But I was still itching. So I ended up getting a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. That sounds really great and is versatile for sure. I have it mounted up on a big SKB powered board. But even still, sometimes that itch would come back again and I thought it would be cool to have a wah on a small little 'grab and go' board for jams and at home band practice. So last week I was reading reviews on the Budda and located a few new ones in stock at several places. I listened to a few demos and liked the sound a lot. Then I came across a demo clip of a CryBaby Classic. It sounded great. I found one listed as B stock at American Musical Supply and ordered it for $89, (usually $129). It arrived today and sounded great. I also grabbed a cool little Gator powered pedalboard in a soft case. When I went to mount the wah to the board I discovered one screw hole was stripped so they're sending me a brand new one for the same price. I lucked out there. But most importantly, in the very few moments that I used it today, and only at low volume, it sounded really, really good, much better than the old standard one I had IMHO. I dig it.
Everybody's gotta' wah once in a while ~ ;)

deeaa
September 1st, 2010, 09:40 PM
Well said Otapanky...I had a Morley I loved way back...you could really work it and it'd give real nice swells and not be too drastic yet sounded good. It was perfect for the 90's stuff like Alice In Chains.

These days I like the way my Vox sounds, but the heel is too dark, almost feels like it cuts off the sound...and I'd prefer a little bit more grit and suprises in the sound too.

Just the other day I was entertaining the idea of trying an autowah, it'd be much easier to use as a singer-guitarist, and have - maybe - more control over the sweep etc. Never really tried one.

otaypanky
September 1st, 2010, 09:46 PM
Yeah, but you can't make 'Wah Face' as well with an auto wah can you?

Well said Otapanky...I had a Morley I loved way back...you could really work it and it'd give real nice swells and not be too drastic yet sounded good. It was perfect for the 90's stuff like Alice In Chains.

These days I like the way my Vox sounds, but the heel is too dark, almost feels like it cuts off the sound...and I'd prefer a little bit more grit and suprises in the sound too.

Just the other day I was entertaining the idea of trying an autowah, it'd be much easier to use as a singer-guitarist, and have - maybe - more control over the sweep etc. Never really tried one.

Tig
September 2nd, 2010, 07:57 AM
Through sheer luck, I found an older model on ebay. I prefer it to the newer models,

The good ol' purple one, right? I haven't played the recent version but love the old one housed in the Dunlop box (assembled by Dunlop, too).
Sweet vocal sounding wah. My only change would be to have a pot adjustment to increase the sweep range. I moved the gear up 1 notch but returned it to stock setting.
http://www.timewarpmusic.com/INVENTORY/AMPS/BUDDAWAH.JPG

Moander
September 10th, 2010, 06:39 AM

This is one reason to look at that Ibanez pedal. Out of the box, on factory settings, is the old, giant, nosebleed inducing Morley which I loved above all others. (was stolen years ago).

A few tweaks to the dials, BOOM ! Vox
A few minor tweaks from the Vox setting, BOOM: standard Crybaby.

Not to shabby getting several Wah's in one unit, for about $79.00 at GC (was on sale).

Solid, studio quality, as quiet as the rest of your gear is. Can be used as a standard, must turn on Wah, or be used as an Auto on/off Wah.

6stringdrug
September 12th, 2010, 10:23 PM
The good ol' purple one, right? I haven't played the recent version but love the old one housed in the Dunlop box (assembled by Dunlop, too).
Sweet vocal sounding wah. My only change would be to have a pot adjustment to increase the sweep range. I moved the gear up 1 notch but returned it to stock setting.
http://www.timewarpmusic.com/INVENTORY/AMPS/BUDDAWAH.JPG

Yup, the cool ol purple!!! I did the same thing, back and forth with the pot until I went back to stock, I love this wah, Ive had it a few weeks now and have discovered wah tones I didnt think I was ever going to find! Unlike my vox, it still sings at full heel. Deeaa, you sound like yours does the same thing. The new model, in the shiny black housing probably has a bit more range in the sweep but does not sound as sweet to my ears.

In the end, now that I've found my wah I can concentrate on other effects and finding "the one" for me! :}

deeaa
September 12th, 2010, 10:54 PM
This is one reason to look at that Ibanez pedal. Out of the box, on factory settings, is the old, giant, nosebleed inducing Morley which I loved above all others. (was stolen years ago).

A few tweaks to the dials, BOOM ! Vox
A few minor tweaks from the Vox setting, BOOM: standard Crybaby.

Not to shabby getting several Wah's in one unit, for about $79.00 at GC (was on sale).

Solid, studio quality, as quiet as the rest of your gear is. Can be used as a standard, must turn on Wah, or be used as an Auto on/off Wah.

I swapped my Ibanez Screaming Demon for the Vox actually...it was indeed a good all-rounder and I liked the automatic switch, but I just could not get the grit and such with it. I suppose I need to look for a Crybaby used so much it's on the verge of destruction...those are what sound best to me. Almost uncontrollable squeals and uneven sweep from high to low, lots of noise. Excactly what I want in a wah!

I wonder if I could somehow 'ruin' the pot in the Vox to make it sound more broken and gritty.

Commodore 64
September 13th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I'm meeting someone today on the way home form work to get a beat up Morley Wah, that "works, but might need a new pot"--according to the seller.

But for $10, I'll take a chance. I've got a soldering iron and lots of pots and I also have some DeOxIt, which might be all it needs.

deeaa
September 13th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I'm meeting someone today on the way home form work to get a beat up Morley Wah, that "works, but might need a new pot"--according to the seller.

But for $10, I'll take a chance. I've got a soldering iron and lots of pots and I also have some DeOxIt, which might be all it needs.

I was under the impression Morleys are optical wahs, but might be wrong. Maybe some models aren't.

Commodore 64
September 13th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I was under the impression Morleys are optical wahs, but might be wrong. Maybe some models aren't.

We'll know in about 6 hours!

Eric
September 13th, 2010, 09:25 AM
What's an optical wah?

deeaa
September 13th, 2010, 10:11 AM
What's an optical wah?

When I got me a Morley pedal back in '93 or so one of the selling points was it was optical, which means there isn't a mechanical gear system moving a tone potentiometer, but a LED that shines through a disc with a hole pattern, behind which there is a light-sensitive sensor that controls the tone according to how much light it detects thru the disc in its various positions.

That way there is no chance of mechanical wear-out or noises, there's no moving parts except the pedal rocking back and forth.

Eric
September 13th, 2010, 10:25 AM
When I got me a Morley pedal back in '93 or so one of the selling points was it was optical, which means there isn't a mechanical gear system moving a tone potentiometer, but a LED that shines through a disc with a hole pattern, behind which there is a light-sensitive sensor that controls the tone according to how much light it detects thru the disc in its various positions.

That way there is no chance of mechanical wear-out or noises, there's no moving parts except the pedal rocking back and forth.
Huh. Interesting.

deeaa
September 13th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Yeah...here's a PDF from their website, they don't say if they're all optical but it explains pretty well how they work and how they can be tweaked:

http://www.morleypedals.com/ttwahadjust.pdf

Commodore 64
September 14th, 2010, 07:10 AM
He was 10 minutes late, but he showed up. I got it. It is indeed optical, there's only 1 pot in it, for level.

Looked up some mods for it, that I will be doing, mainly to add a clean/distortion switch and something else, I can't remember right now. Last night I had to fix our dishwasher so I couldn't get to the Wah pedal. Also, I have a Peavey Bandit project that I want to do first (solder in new jacks, and replace the OP Amps).

The Morley has a Op Amp, a T071, IIRC. It's a single Op Amp, 8 pin, DIP style. I suppose I can't replace it with one of the dual Op Amps I just bought. :(

sunvalleylaw
March 7th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I have been doing some study on an old Hendrix tune (well, really a Dylan tune), and one lead requires a wah. I sold mine (as has been pointed out) a while back, and now I am looking at getting one again. Thinking about a used Ibanez Weeping Demon. Based on comments, it seems like it would be a good value. Then I will have to learn to play the darned thing. That is why I sold my first wah, never felt comfortable using it. But now if I am going to try to learn Hendrixy stuff, kinda have to.

bcdon
March 7th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I've got the Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah (http://www.morleypedals.com/dvai-2.html) that is pretty cool. I really need to learn how to use it properly but it doesn't seem to affect your tone when not engaged.

http://www.morleypedals.com/dvai-2.jpg

Eric
March 7th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I have been doing some study on an old Hendrix tune (well, really a Dylan tune), and one lead requires a wah. I sold mine (as has been pointed out) a while back, and now I am looking at getting one again. Thinking about a used Ibanez Weeping Demon. Based on comments, it seems like it would be a good value. Then I will have to learn to play the darned thing. That is why I sold my first wah, never felt comfortable using it. But now if I am going to try to learn Hendrixy stuff, kinda have to.
I just never really find occasion to use it, so I tend to kind of leave it out of the setup. I used to use it a bit, but it usually ends up being something I wank around with and that subtracts from my playing rather than adds to it. I guess I'm just not very effective with wah, so it ends up being like a toy instead of a musical tool. But yeah, it has the potential to sound really cool in the right context and add a lot to the music.

deeaa
March 7th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I've had both the Screaming Demon and a 'normal' Morley, both good wahs...I dunno how different the Bad Horsie is from standard wah.

I got the Ibanez because it turns on and off automatically if desired, with just rocking the pedal, which I liked, with either spring tension or no.

I got a bit lost with all the adjustments on the Ibanez, though, plus I didn't really ever get it to do what I want a wah to do, i.e. kinda give the sound its own character even when it's just on, and the Weeping Demon was, with any setting, kinda sterile to me, albeit a great wah, would be good for someone who used it as an effect lots for rhythm too etc. The Morley was very modern-sounding as well, great for some swells and like, Alice In Chains kinda stuff, but not so much for rock quack.

I use very little wah; currently one song start has a little for 10 seconds, sometimes I might add some to the end, and I use it on one lead part on another song, usually on one solo bit, and one rhythm part on a fourth song. However, I might get lazy and just mimic it with pick angle & harmonics sometimes. Still, a wah is the only pedal I use.

I now have a Vox wah I did the jump the sprocket thing to get a little more movement before it gets too bright, and it's quite suitable for me, although I could envision a better one.

In fact it's really hard to find a really really desirable wah, I think...my friend has this old Crybaby I would take any second; it is worn somehow just right that it gives all kinds of crazy - but super cool - sounding squelchs and is has just the right amount of throat. Leads can really be made to sound like human voice almost with it, and that I like. You know, when you hold it in place and move it, it won't just simply and steadily brighten or darken the sound like normal 'eeeEEE', but it goes like 'Wo-eeEEE', always adding some weird duck or a freaky 'croak' to every movement, and you can just move it quite off-beat too and not have to keep pushing up and down to get a nice effect. The Vox I have is quite boring in comparison, but it has a nice rock scream anyway. I've tried many a wah, and while some have been really throaty too, none have been sufficiently crazy. I'd like the sound to vary a lot with pedal positions, and plenty of pedal movement too.

Tig
March 7th, 2012, 11:40 PM
In fact it's really hard to find a really really desirable wah, I think...

^ This.
Wah's are tricky beasts. Mine works really well with some amps, and is horrible with others. I'd guess that many people bought an otherwise good wah, but it didn't work with their amp so they sold it.

omegadot
March 8th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I'll be honest, I like how a wah sounds, I can't control it for anything. I need someone to sit down and be like, "Omegadot, this is how do not dumb things with a wah".

Tig
March 8th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I'll be honest, I like how a wah sounds, I can't control it for anything. I need someone to sit down and be like, "Omegadot, this is how do not dumb things with a wah".

Try sweeping the wah to a slower rhythm than the passage you are playing. It takes an independently timed foot, which is something us non-drummers tend to suck at.

Here's an example that is close to what I mean, from 18 to 30 seconds into the video:

http://youtu.be/sO_QntXc-c4

sunvalleylaw
March 10th, 2012, 12:01 AM
This thing actually looks pretty cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpzcvNqfSEc

sunvalleylaw
March 10th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Oops, it's $200.00 though. Not getting that!

sunvalleylaw
March 10th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Deaa, did you find the weeping demon noisy or tone sucking that you noticed much?

bcdon
March 10th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Maybe you'd like this one then.
AMT Electronics: WH-1 "Japanese Girl" JFET Wah
n3P3vtmJ99c

sunvalleylaw
March 10th, 2012, 12:20 AM
That's look kinda cool too. I like the auto on and off of the other one. Looks like this one you might have to click on and off. I may still be looking at the weeping demon. Or an EX7 maybe. I do like the idea of the small size.

deeaa
March 10th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Can't say The wdemon would have had downsides like tone sucking...it was a quality pedal.

Tig
March 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I like the 3 notch position switch on the Japanese Girl. True bypass, too.
I mean the pedal, you dirty SOB's!

The Grand Vizier
March 11th, 2012, 01:58 AM
I am a Robin Trower fiend & wanted a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah until I checked the price!!!!!!
I went for the value for money/universal Dunlop GCB-95, does a good job for me now that I have adjusted the sweep to my liking.

That AMT pedal sounds pretty cool I have never seen before, great size 2.