PDA

View Full Version : Lost control & here I am

exSP5Wintergreen
June 10th, 2010, 07:22 AM
You'd think a wizened 59-year-old man would know better, but no. Lost control of my senses not too long ago and decided to take up the guitar. Still a rank noogie in the grand scheme of things, but on a scale of 1-10, I estimate my skills have improved to around -2. Learning on a Mexican Tele and an Ibanez ART100. Mostly using headphones or not plugging in at all, out of compassion for the neighborhood dogs.

sunvalleylaw
June 10th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Nice intro Ivor! Welcome!

Katastrophe
June 10th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Welcome!

It's never too late to start on the guitar. It's more than just a hobby... It's a passion that once in your blood, will never truly leave!

Enjoy, and post often!

Robert
June 10th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Welcome, and enjoy playing music.

Tig
June 10th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Welcome to The Fret! Your sense of humor makes you a good fit around here.

Like the others said, its never too late. You'll find that you are a better student for picking this up now than a few decades ago.

Oh, and nice photography on your website. :AOK
I really love taking pictures of birds, even though I don't have the good gear to bring them in close. Mine are no match for yours, and I only have a few worth mentioning...

Coopers Hawk on my fence
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/92254b0bf86ccbaba.jpg

Grainy shot of a Yellow Crowned Night Heron
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/92254b0bf86d033e7.jpg

Spudman
June 10th, 2010, 09:17 AM
At your age...losing control is acceptable. You might want to check out some Depends

Welcome to thefret.:dude

Tig
June 10th, 2010, 09:20 AM
At your age...losing control is acceptable. You might want to check out some Depends

Bam!
:spank

Spud rolls out the red carpet for our newest member! Geez, we can't take you anywhere...

Monkus
June 10th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Welcome !! LOL!

guitarhack
June 10th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Welcome to the Fret, Ivor!

bigG
June 10th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Welcome, Ivor! I'm a 59 year old not-so-wizened guy myself!

I've been playing since 1963...but sometimes you'd never know it! I think I've forgotten more than I remember! :thwap You've picked a GREAT hobby to get involved in!

And, only us old Who-o-philes would understand the source of your nick - A Quick One...eh! Very cool! :rockya

Enjoy your stay here. Nice folks and alot of info shared. (Ignore spuds comment abt the depends. They ain't too bad! :poke )

nickydiaz
June 10th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I'm also a 59er who lost control myself years ago! Been playing since '64. welcome to the wild wacky world of guitar playing!

FrankenFretter
June 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Welcome aboard! I think there's a whole bunch of us over 40s here. Be warned though; hanging around here usually gives you G.A.S. (Gear/Guitar Acquisition Syndrome). And like Doug said, nice photos!

exSP5Wintergreen
June 21st, 2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I think I'm going to need all the good karma you guys can send my way. Celebrated my 6-week anniversary as a geetar owner this weekend. And I wondering how long it'll be before I can change "owner" to player." Here's what I've learned so far.

1. Mother nature ripped me off when she doled out pinkie fingers: mine turn out to be .45 inch shorter than average.

2. Said pinkie finger on my left hand is for the second time in it's life being asked to so something independently. The first was when I demanded it hit the "Z," A"" and "Q" keys on a typewriter. It didn't do well at that task, either.

3. Ibuprofen was created with newbie guitarists in mind.

4. Fret buzz, fret buzz, fret buzz.

5. I'm developing a love-hate relationship with the ghost of Leo Fender.

6. GAS attack! From zero to four guitars in six weeks flat. And can't play any of them. Ibanez ART100, Ibanez RG350EX, MIM Telecaster Standard, Dillion (U.S.) LP clone.

7. Doug the Cat is fascinated by guitars. He loves playing them with his teeth. But he can't paw chords worth didley. Loser.

8. Doug the Cat's pet human can't for the life of him move from an "A" to a "D." No matter how hard he tries, he simply cannot make three fingers on his left hand move at the same time into different positions. So he's always late getting his ring finger down.

9. I'm getting sick of the Star Spangled Banner.

10. Wish I had started doing this 40 years ago like I wanted. Cuz it's a great challenge and a heckuva lot of fun.

Heywood Jablomie
June 21st, 2010, 08:17 AM
Well, 6 weeks is almost nothing, unless maybe you're one of those idiot savants who can play Mozart's entire catalog first try. I think the slow progress most of us experience is one of the main reasons so many people give up learning a musical instrument. Guitar adds the wonderful dimension of physical pain. It was many years ago (I'm 57, started when I was 12), but I clearly remember the stuff you're going through. If you're reasonably talented and practice regularly, I think you'll be pretty amazed at your progress at 6 months or so. It will take patience, for sure. Good luck!

exSP5Wintergreen
June 21st, 2010, 08:57 AM
Well, 6 weeks is almost nothing, unless maybe you're one of those idiot savants who can play Mozart's entire catalog first try. I think the slow progress most of us experience is one of the main reasons so many people give up learning a musical instrument. Guitar adds the wonderful dimension of physical pain. It was many years ago (I'm 57, started when I was 12), but I clearly remember the stuff you're going through. If you're reasonably talented and practice regularly, I think you'll be pretty amazed at your progress at 6 months or so. It will take patience, for sure. Good luck!

Thanks, Haywood. Say, I saw that picture of you shoveling snow last winter in the Fargo newspaper (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/28/haywood-jablome-strikes-a_n_404876.html)!

Heywood Jablomie
June 21st, 2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks, Haywood. Say, I saw that picture of you shoveling snow last winter in the Fargo newspaper (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/28/haywood-jablome-strikes-a_n_404876.html)!
Different guy, he spells it differently.

Bow
June 21st, 2010, 09:25 AM
Welcome to the thing

Spudman
June 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I think I'm going to need all the good karma you guys can send my way. Celebrated my 6-week anniversary as a geetar owner this weekend. And I wondering how long it'll be before I can change "owner" to player." Here's what I've learned so far.

1. Mother nature ripped me off when she doled out pinkie fingers: mine turn out to be .45 inch shorter than average.

2. Said pinkie finger on my left hand is for the second time in it's life being asked to so something independently. The first was when I demanded it hit the "Z," A"" and "Q" keys on a typewriter. It didn't do well at that task, either.

Don't worry about the finger thing so much. This guy seemed to do quite well using only 2 fingers.

-iJ7bs4mTUY&

syo
June 27th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I have to welcome anyone who comes in here as IvorTheEngineDriver.
"Dang, Dang, Dang, Dang, Dang, Dang, Dang, Dang"
Welcome!

Brian Krashpad
July 2nd, 2010, 06:00 AM
Welcome!

Don't worry about the chord change thing. It's literally just a matter of repetition. Eventually your hand will develop muscle memory and your fingers will know where to go!

duhvoodooman
July 13th, 2010, 03:30 PM
You'd think a wizened 59-year-old man would know better....
Actually, no, since I'm also 59 and dove back into guitar playing about 5 years ago now after many years of relative inactivity. Hey, you're never to old to be immature!! :dude :rockon:

Welcome to TheFret!

mrmudcat
August 3rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
welcome