PDA

View Full Version : Speaker cabinet kits

BobbySwift
June 10th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Does anybody know of any kits for a DIY speaker cabinet? I'm thinking of buying an Orange Dual Terror 30w tube amp and want to perhaps make my own cabinet for it. any help would be great.

guitarmadman85
June 10th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Avatar speakers makes great inexpensive guitar cabs. You can buy them loaded and unloaded. You choose from their selection of speakers, mostly celestion. They have the best prices on celestions, although I personally prefer Eminence.....but that's another story. If you don't wanna go that route, I just made a 2x12 cab about two months ago. I based it loosely on a mesa 2x12 recto cab. I bought my hardware from BLT sound. They have great prices. You could even get your tolex from them. I think the easiest way to build your own is to base it on a cab someone already produces. The hardest part is the baffle, but there are easy ways to cut perfect speaker holes. It's quite a lot of information... but if you're interested I will lay it all out for you. Building my own cabinet has been one of the most rewarding things I have done, and it sounds better than I imagined it would. I actually like the sound better than the mesa 2x12 recto cab I used to have. Here are some pics of the cab I built.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zach-Rawlings/122476461118374?ref=ts

Kazz
June 11th, 2010, 05:22 AM
If you search this forum you will see where our own member LuvmyShiner designed and built a single 12" cabinet. His design is easily adaptable to a 2x12.

poodlesrule
June 11th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I was given (2) 10" speakers that came of a Marshall Microstack (I think), and have a quality plywood enclosure (an other freebie) that has good proportions for a 2 by:
31x16x14

I don't really know which "face' to install the speakers to:

- the 14x31, allowing 16" "depth for the speakers to work in
- the 16x31, providing a larger, stronger mounting area

Recommendation?