PDA

View Full Version : NAD: My new (to me) Roland Cube 60

FrankenFretter
June 11th, 2010, 06:02 PM
It actually came on Tuesday, but this is the first chance I've had to sit down long enough to give a quick review.

I've now played the amph for about 2½ hours, and I love it. It's very versatile, and sounds so much bigger than it logically should. Having the 12" speaker vs. the 10" probably adds some bottom end that isn't present in the lower wattage cubes. At the moment, I have it running through my 2x12 which surprisingly doesn't really add a whole lot to the sound. It already sounded pretty big.

I really like the Black Panel, the Tweed, and the Dyna-Amp. The stack models are nice too, but I've really enjoyed playing around with the ones I mentioned most of all so far. The Black Panel has tons of clean headroom, and it also sounds nice once it starts to break up. The Tweed breaks up early, earlier than I would expect, but sounds nice and warm. I do wish that the Bright switch was global, not just for the JC Clean channel. Not a big deal, just a minor complaint.

I plugged headphones into it last night, and the sound seems a very close match to what comes out of the speaker. Now I have the option of playing through headphones when the kid is in bed, which gives me more options for practice times.

After playing both my Agile AL3000 and my Epi Tribute LP through it, I decided to check out how it does with single coils. I plugged in my SX SJM-62, which has P90s. The Fender models seem to sound especially good with that setup, so I imagine a Strat would sound quite nice. Today I plugged my Schecter in to see how it sounded with hotter pickups. I did have to dial the gain back a bit to maintain clarity, but it sounded good, very fat and brown through the "stack" models as well as the Tweed model.

I'm very happy with this purchase. I wouldn't want to give up my Night Train, or my Marshall, but if they were stolen and this was the only amph I had left, I could definitely make do. And of course this thread would be meaningless without photos, so...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/TBLKJuMOxLI/AAAAAAAAAhI/eaTIuE88E0s/s400/100_2036.JPGhttp://lh5.ggpht.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/TBLKKHG21YI/AAAAAAAAAhQ/4qVzEuDGBH0/s400/100_2038.JPG