PDA

View Full Version : Two songs off the upcoming demo

deeaa
June 13th, 2010, 02:55 AM
First a song that we recorded in 'proper studio' fashion, i.e. all separately on the Zoom R-16 and you heard a in-the works version of:

http://deeaa.pp.fi/spookbox/moment_betamaster.mp3

And then a raw live also recorded on the R-16, but live:

http://deeaa.pp.fi/spookbox/ton%20of%20bricks.mp3

The latter is, ahem, a tad clumsy, we haven't really trained the song much at all. But at least it's not too nice and polished and sounds like we usually do :)

deeaa
June 13th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Erm, one more...

http://deeaa.pp.fi/spookbox/wishicould_betamaster.mp3

I gotta say on this ballad the lyrics aren't mine, I wouldn't ever write anything so sweet.

deeaa
June 13th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Well yet one more, then there's just song left I haven't finished tweaking yet.

http://deeaa.pp.fi/spookbox/worldscollide_betamaster.mp3

And as explanation, these are my live band's, Spookbox, songs. I'm the singer/songwriter, my guitar (left channel) on my Ceriatone and the other guy's guitar&leads (I only play that bluesy lead in the live song) are recorded D/I and sounds selected after the fact from Amplitube.

Jimi75
June 13th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Hey deea, lots of material that shows your many facettes as a singer and songwriter.

Here's what I think:
1. Song - the beginning has that kind of Europe feeling, I mean new and recent Europe which I totally dig! The vocal line is nice, but the the song marches through with no break up and the drums are like more adapted form a techno song. I know a bunch of songs that apply ecxactly this 32 beats on the hihat rhythm and I must admit, I don't like this type of drumming, because it put too much momentum on the beat and steals away from the song's harmonies (no matter if real drums or computer). A good song though.
2. Song - the live one. Well, the song is rocking and has nice break up parts that regained my concentration. Excellent singing. Anyways deea, you should go look for bandmates that keep up with your level. Your colleagues sound like college boys compared to you in this recording! Remember, the worst bandmember determines the qualitly of the band. Either you look for better people or you record a singer songwriter demo with just you and your guitar!
3. song . the ballad - well....lyrics are okay, could be worse, but this song has no real hook
4. That's you that's where you are the strongest. I could listen to such songwriting and singing for hours! Reminded me a little bit of HIM :applause

All in all, I am missing the real catchy hooks. Look, you write exotic sounding guitarparts for the verses, but the hooks can still not stand the level, I mean a hook must put the song one step higher and this doesn't happen in my opinion. Try to catch the listener a little more.

Cool stuff definitely. Thanks for posting!

deeaa
June 13th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks Jimi! Yeah I know what you mean about the bandmates...but the thing is, I don't really _want_ to get anywhere special with my music. Just play loud and make garage demos works 4 me, I don't need the stress of actually trying to get somewhere :-) so I don't mind if the other players don't really, at least yet, know much of music making...maybe in ten years and after at least as many demos they've learned well :-)

It's kinda the same issue with hooks...I usually tend to really dislike catchy music; most any overly popular, catchy music annoys me. You know, top-40 stuff. I just go for stuff I like playing and comfortable about. That ballad song is already way too commercial type for me, and I suspect it will soon have to drop out of our repertoire.

As far as demos only by myself...yeah, I've done that too...never counted but I've put out at least a couple of dozen demos or albums or something, both alone and with bands...I actually even got a full solo album contracted to this american small record label once, but just as I was getting scared of how far it'd have to go, the label went bankrupt - and I actually felt very relived it did. Put the songs deep in the drawer and never sent them anywhere else. BUT I do think they are still up somewhere in some internet music sites, like broadjam or something...I don't remember and I don't care to even search.

With Whobody band we're more like trying to make pleasant music to listener, but not quite even there...where ever the songs start to feel a bit too nice and polished, I put in some too harsh vocals and try to keep it not _too_ nice...

Anyway, for me the process of making songs, recording them and mixing them, getting something crafted from scratch and with difficulty...that's what I like to do. If I had all the time in the world, I'd write a couple songs every other day and record them the next, nevermind what happens to them after that...I just drop them out into cyberspace and, well, they they stay, maybe forever - somebody will sometime come accross them and maybe get some vibes off them...that's enough for me. If even one person who listens, if not even like the stuff, can at least respect something about it and not totally hate it all to bits, well, even better!

deeaa
June 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Well actually I did have to google if that solo album of mine with the (un?)lucky contract deal is still out somewhere and yeah, found at least this place with all the songs up:

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/d-a.31986.php

Even in that place alone there's ~3000 listens it seems on those songs...that's pretty good actually, if nothing compared to the U.S. soundclick site where we've had millions of listens. But nice reviews too.

There's some dozen or so songs, but some seem to load real slow now. Man, I haven't listened to these songs in what seems like aeons. Glad I remembered the lot exists now. Making that album was such a blast, I recorded it at home in the autumn of the year my first son was born, just finished working on it the same week he was delivered.

Jimi75
June 13th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Now I got ya! You've posted the songs for listening pleasure only.
Forget about my comments then :thwap