PDA

View Full Version : The World Cup Soccer Thread

Robert
June 14th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Perhaps we can keep all the world cup soccer talk to this thread.

The first game I've watched so for was Germany - Australia yesterday. The Germans were effective and won with 4-0. It will be interesting to see how Germany fares in this tournament; they sure look incredibly strong right now.

Tig
June 14th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Watched a bit of the opener with Mexico and S. Africa, and all of the US vs England game. Plenty of great plays and passion so far. Missed Germany's mega game.

Hopefully I'll get to watch a few more since I have the next 5 days off.

marnold
June 14th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Ole, ole, ole, ole!

I've only been able to watch bits of some games. Nice hands by the English keeper. I picked Germany as the favorite, in no small part because I'm of German descent (great reason, I know). I've seen some flashes of brilliance, but the first game tends to be more of a feeling-out process. Hopefully these second games will be more exciting.

Jimi75
June 14th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Watched every game so far, 'cause I am a huge soccer fan!
Australia was pretty lame, but Germany's offense was also perfectly strong. We will see how far the defense can stand the better teams. We have a great team this year and the 4-0 was the strongest appearance of all teams so far. Tonight Italy's going to play, unfortunately I can't watch because I am about toe go to band rehearsal...this breaks my heart...Italia, forza azzuri, vai!!!

Tig
June 14th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Tonight Italy's going to play, unfortunately I can't watch because I am about toe go to band rehearsal...this breaks my heart...Italia, forza azzuri, vai!!!

I'm watching it for you right now. :poke :tongue:

I'll predict Mexico to possibly do good this year.

markb
June 14th, 2010, 09:50 PM
In line with the Tebbit test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_test) I'm supporting New Zealand and anyone playing against Australia :)

Mike S.
June 15th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Ole, ole, ole, ole!

I picked Germany as the favorite, in no small part because I'm of German descent (great reason, I know).
Ditto. Don't worry, I've seen decades of loyalty to a team fostered over far less logical reasons than that.

It helps that Germany typically fields a better than average team too.:thumbsup

Lev
June 15th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I support anyone but France because Ireland should really be there in their place (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=13602) :nope

Seriously though what's with those horns in the crowd?.. the Vuvuzelas? They're giving me a headache and you can't hear the crowd noise. I know they are part of the African tradition but I think it takes away from the atmosphere of the game.

For me Argentina have the most talented players but their manager (Diego Maradona) is one of the most unstable people in soccer, can he hold it together to guide them through?

Jimi75
June 15th, 2010, 03:23 AM
NOT AGAIN :spank

But honestly, I would prefer some good old Irish soccer over the French senior playing....

I support anyone but France because Ireland should really be there in their place (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=13602) :nope

Seriously though what's with those horns in the crowd?.. the Vuvuzelas? They're giving me a headache and you can't hear the crowd noise. I know they are part of the African tradition but I think it takes away from the atmosphere of the game.

For me Argentina have the most talented players but their manager (Diego Maradona) is one of the most unstable people in soccer, can he hold it together to guide them through?

markb
June 15th, 2010, 01:33 PM
:happy We didn't lose!! Best ever result!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8741924.stm

Robert
June 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Congrats Mark!

markb
June 15th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Congrats Mark!

I wasn't playing, you understand. I'm using "we" in this manner

OOfJjHozCEc

Jimi75
June 16th, 2010, 01:43 AM
:happy We didn't lose!! Best ever result!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8741924.stm

Your team destroyed my bet quote in the office!

That was really a last minute draw. Congratz!

markb
June 16th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Your team destroyed my bet quote in the office!

That was really a last minute draw. Congratz!

Yeah and I can always switch my allegiance to the "old country" if it all goes pear shaped :thumbsup

Congrats to your lot for thrashing the Aussies, Jimi (or the West Islanders as we like to call them).

Jimi75
June 16th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Yeah and I can always switch my allegiance to the "old country" if it all goes pear shaped :thumbsup

Congrats to your lot for thrashing the Aussies, Jimi (or the West Islanders as we like to call them).

Thanks, I think Germany had the best performance so far. Hopefully they keep up :-)

gitch
June 16th, 2010, 02:59 AM
England were rubbish, to many pre-madonnas, I cannot see us going through bar a miracle. Germany had the best start so far, with Brazil last nite. But there is a long way to go and see who is standing at the end. May the best team win.

deeaa
June 16th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I'm so glad I never had to watch a soccer game in its entirety. Rather watch paint dry.

Robert
June 16th, 2010, 01:02 PM
So Spain lost against Switzerland - what an upset!

Jimi75
June 16th, 2010, 01:06 PM
So Spain lost against Switzerland - what an upset!

That was a big surprise, but Switzerland has a new coach, the German Otmar Hitzfeld, during his time in Germany he was called "Der General"...so this explains a lot I think...

Robert
June 16th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Der General... haha - sounds like a stern man! :)

Tig
June 18th, 2010, 07:45 AM
A fun World Cup commercial (ignore the nasty brand of beer):

uuamstS-5zM

Jimi75
June 18th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I am totally pissed after the German match. The referees cut the game with their cards and so every form of bodycontact is blocked! This has nothing to do with soccer, rather with Basketball. 9 yellow cards plus one red card in such a fair game as the one I just watched.....it's a joke really. The referess totally destroy the sport if they go on like this!

Mike S.
June 18th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I am totally pissed after the German match. The referees cut the game with their cards and so every form of bodycontact is blocked! This has nothing to do with soccer, rather with Basketball. 9 yellow cards plus one red card in such a fair game as the one I just watched.....it's a joke really. The referess totally destroy the sport if they go on like this!

I completely agree. The Spanish referee threw the game, especially in the case of Klose, who did NOT deserve either yellow card, much less the second one that led to the red card.

Serbia won their one goal fairly, however Germany was unfairly handicapped from a victory by that poor excuse for a referee Undiano Mallenco.

Tig
June 18th, 2010, 10:55 AM
While not nearly as bad as the Germany / Serbia game yellow cards, the officials eff'ed up the call on USA's 3rd goal in the USA / Slovenia game today. :flamemad:

markb
June 18th, 2010, 02:15 PM
While not nearly as bad as the Germany / Serbia game yellow cards, the officials eff'ed up the call on USA's 3rd goal in the USA / Slovenia game today. :flamemad:

It is traditional to chant a little mantra at times like that.

It goes: Who's the b@stard in the black? (repeat ad nauseum) :)

pes_laul
June 18th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I'm so glad I never had to watch a soccer game in its entirety. Rather watch paint dry.
:thankyou

Mike S.
June 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Yes, a complete outrage. He was absolutely lost throughout that entire game. That makes two incompetent referees in the same day. :thwap

piebaldpython
June 18th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Yes, a complete outrage. He was absolutely lost throughout that entire game. That makes two incompetent referees in the same day. :thwap

What's so shocking about that???? Happens in baseball all the time....as any drunken myopic doofus sitting in the 700 level will be more than glad to tell you.
:thumbsup

Tig
June 18th, 2010, 11:10 PM
What's so shocking about that???? Happens in baseball all the time....as any drunken myopic doofus sitting in the 700 level will be more than glad to tell you.

Which brings up my favorite taunt to officials:
"Hey Ref, one more eye and you'd be a cyclops!" :reallymad:
This is best said in a clear, loud voice for the full effect.

Mike S.
June 18th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Well, the difference in this instance is that I'm an ardent supporter of the German team and feel jaded.:mad

The comparison is not lost on me nonetheless.:socool

markb
June 19th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Which brings up my favorite taunt to officials:
"Hey Ref, one more eye and you'd be a cyclops!" :reallymad:
This is best said in a clear, loud voice for the full effect.

Nope. Still like my version :)

marnold
June 19th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Nuts and bolts! Nuts and bolts! We got . . .

piebaldpython
June 19th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Well, the difference in this instance is that I'm an ardent supporter of the German team and feel jaded.:mad

The comparison is not lost on me nonetheless.:socool

With all due respect, The Germans had a good deal of great chances and they didn't convert......esp the PK that was blocked. So, it just wasn't the refs that made a putrid smell. :french lol

Mike S.
June 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM
With all due respect, The Germans had a good deal of great chances and they didn't convert......esp the PK that was blocked. So, it just wasn't the refs that made a putrid smell. :french lol

Granted Lukas Podolski was a bit out of sorts that match, however considering that Germany was very unjustly a man down, let alone Klose, due to complete incompetence on the part of the ref (provided it wasn't actually deliberate to skew the game, I have my doubts here and the US game that followed) , they held their own thank you very much.

I believe I'll sidestep the other barbed and baited comment to keep the peace (and a French smiley was used, no less).:spank

marnold
June 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM
:happy We didn't lose!! Best ever result!!]
Way to not lose AGAIN . . . and this time to Italy, no less!

WRT the U.S.'s last game: while the officiating was bizarre, they can't keep falling behind by a goal or two and expect to make it up. Sometimes you have to make sure that outside forces don't have the opportunity to screw up the match.

In other news, the French are having a team-wide snit (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5307299/ce/us/france-team-refuses-practice-nicolas-anelka-expulsion?cc=5901&ver=us). The curse of the hand-ball? Is it too late to bring the Irish over?

markb
June 20th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Way to not lose AGAIN . . . and this time to Italy, no less!

WRT the U.S.'s last game: while the officiating was bizarre, they can't keep falling behind by a goal or two and expect to make it up. Sometimes you have to make sure that outside forces don't have the opportunity to screw up the match.

In other news, the French are having a team-wide snit (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5307299/ce/us/france-team-refuses-practice-nicolas-anelka-expulsion?cc=5901&ver=us). The curse of the hand-ball? Is it too late to bring the Irish over?

So, the french are on strike? It's what French people do :french

Goodonya's all round to the All Whites for last night :thumbsup

marnold
June 20th, 2010, 02:25 PM
That Brazil v. Ivory Coast match got a bit punchy at the end. Ivory Coast got their thug on and Brazil showed why they have a reputation for having a thin skin. The Ivory Coast guy who dived and grabbed his face when Kaka hit him in the chest was absolutely shameful. On the other hand Kaka was being a jerk after already getting one card. His suspension ultimately won't matter, though, since Brazil will advance anyway.

Robert
June 20th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Congrats, new Zealand!!!

Tig
June 20th, 2010, 10:39 PM
That Brazil v. Ivory Coast match got a bit punchy at the end. Ivory Coast got their thug on and Brazil showed why they have a reputation for having a thin skin. The Ivory Coast guy who dived and grabbed his face when Kaka hit him in the chest was absolutely shameful. On the other hand Kaka was being a jerk after already getting one card. His suspension ultimately won't matter, though, since Brazil will advance anyway.

The second goal of Brazil's was amazing... As in I'm amazed no official saw Fabiano hand ball twice before he scored.

The drama queen attempts that soccer players pull is a huge turn off for me. They act like they were just knifed, and as soon as it is ignored or rewarded, they pop up like nothing happened. They remind me of little kids who amp up the fake crying to get attention, and you catch them peeking to see if it is working or not! :cry: :socool

marnold
June 23rd, 2010, 10:43 AM
Umm . . . wow! I thought the U.S. was going to get jobbed again on a questionable waived-off goal. They were very lucky too with that post hit in the 7th minute. Donovan in stoppage time! I scared my dog when they scored :) Now to wait and see who they'll play from Group D on Saturday. By winning Group C they managed to avoid a match up with the Argentina-Mexico winner in the second round of elimination play. By the by, this is the first time the United States has won their group since 1930.

ZMAN
June 23rd, 2010, 11:10 AM
I am watching the replay as we speak. It is half time and I really feel sorry for the US. They are getting royally screwed. The morons in FIFA are trying to make inroads into the US with soccer and this type of crap will not help.
I am glad they perseveered and won it. In fact they won the group.
I played all my life here in Canada and know the game inside and out.
The US is playing a very entertaining form of attack soccer. As a striker when I played I absolutely hated the fact that the linesman cannot look at two places at once. They have to be able to see the man onside as well as the ball being kicked. Anyone with any speed can travel 10 yards in a split second and you could be onside when the ball was kicked and they would invariably raise the flag when the ball landed at your feet. This rule alone will keep the game as a secondary sport in the US as far as fan support goes.
I am really happy that they won since my Grandson is a future US team player. He is only 1 but has excellent soccer genes. My daughter was captain of UNC.

Jimi75
June 24th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Germany made it! I was pretty nervous while watching. But in the end Özil made a world class goal!

WOW, USA group leader.....what can I say, it's great to see that soccer made such a tremendous development in the USA. In former times the USA was just pure cannon fodder, the easy three point cash in. I think their capacitiy in playing soccer increased above average. :applause

Robert
June 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Congrats Germany.

Did you guys see Italy - Slovakia? Whoa, quite amazing game the last 20 minutes! Quite dramatic. People who think soccer is boring should have seen this game. I was watching it live online here at work. We get really good live video quality from CBC here in Canuckland.

So, some heads are now gonna roll in Italy, huh?

marnold
June 24th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Did you guys see Italy - Slovakia? Whoa, quite amazing game the last 20 minutes! Quite dramatic. People who think soccer is boring should have seen this game. I was watching it live online here at work. We get really good live video quality from CBC here in Canuckland.

So, some heads are now gonna roll in Italy, huh?
I'm thinking so. I found myself actively rooting for Slovakia. The Italians seemed to be relying on their acting skills rather than soccer skills (although I also was not happy with all the extra writhing from the Slovaks at the end of the game--the ref would have none of it, though). If they had played the whole game like they played the last ten minutes, they would have won by 10. That defensive lapse on the last Slovakian goal was unforgivable. It also ended up being the deciding goal.

Congrats also (sort of) to the Kiwis for not losing a game. According to ESPN they are only the fourth team in World Cup history not to advance without losing a match.

Mike S.
June 27th, 2010, 09:50 AM
WunderBar!:applause

http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/flags/flags_121.gif

Jimi75
June 27th, 2010, 01:51 PM
That was a great game! I ecpected much of our team (Germany), but this was really super cool. Plus now the 1966 scandal is equalized :-) :applause

piebaldpython
June 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Today, the ball was passed quickly and efficiently and the Germans looked fabulous.

Why oh why isn't there instant replay on ALL goals......just like there is for home runs in baseball or goals in hockey???? It removes ALL doubt. England was robbed of a goal and Argentina got a a goal they never should have had.

fatoomsh
June 27th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Go the All Whites!!!!
Oh we're already home!
Good effort to draw with the cheating pizzamen, the Slovaks and Paraguay though.
To be honest I can't stomach the faggoting round now and struggle to sit through a whole game. Its not just being soft, its blatant cheating and its ruining the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0do5xlE9C_A

piebaldpython
July 4th, 2010, 07:57 AM
The Europeans did themselves proud in the quarterfinals, upending favored Argentina and Brazil. The Dutch looked cohesive and fast. The Germans....well, they looked scarily fine-tuned and deadly.

Spain should move past Uruguay now the Suarez can't play versus Spain due to the hand-ball red card he got in the game against Ghana.

Robert
July 4th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Germans are looking impressive. I missed the Dutch game, but it's great to see them move on. They are my favourite European team (of the European teams who actually make it to the world cup...).

Jimi75
July 5th, 2010, 01:22 AM
It's good to see that quality and young spirit wins over stardom and lazy millionair's soccer.

The German match was unbelievable. I am happy to see The Netherlands making it to the next round, too and of course I am hoping for a final with Ntherlands and Germany. I only live 20 kilometers from the Dutch border, so I will party in any way :-)

Robert
July 7th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Sorry Germany (and Jimi75)... but Spain makes it to the final!

Germany looked a bit subdued today, compared to most other games they've played this tournament. Maybe they just got too cautious?

Spain and Holland will be exciting!

Tig
July 7th, 2010, 02:33 PM
My condolences for Deutschland's loss. I was expecting a close game with them winning over España.

I'll cheer for Netherlands in the final.
http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/files/2008/08/rabobank_09.jpg