PDA

View Full Version : Tried a Marshall JMD:1

Robert
June 14th, 2010, 08:16 AM
A Digital Marshall...

I tried the combo. What a jack of all trades. I just played it a low volume and it sounded okay. Would be interesting to hear it at louder volumes.

The effects sounded only okay to me - I was not impressed by them. I'd rather use external effects for that.

Anyone liking this amp a lot? It certainly is the complete opposite of the Class5 in terms of design and features!

Amp models:
Clean 1: Modern is based on the mighty JVM Series' Clean channel to produce one of the brightest, tight controlled Marshall cleans.
Clean 2: Full is based on the JCM2000 DSL100, providing a vibrant clean sound with glassy bright edge and fat resonant punch.
Clean 3: Classic comes straight out of the JMP-1 tonal vault and is ideal for rich chords and softer tones.
Clean 4: Natural is the JMD:1's own new sound, designed to let the natural tone of the guitar and the amp's power amp section take center stage.

Crunch 5: Vintage is a unique marriage of the 1974 and 1959 models. The tonal character of the 1974 has been matched perfectly with the 1959's EQ section and is ideal for classic rhythm sounds.
Crunch 6: Classic is based on the JCM800 2203 for an up-front focused sound.
Crunch 7: Deep is a satisfying warm tone resembling the Marshall Haze 40 with Boost and Bright engaged.
Crunch 8: Full brings back the 1974 for a full-fat rhythm tone with extra clarity in the mids.

Overdrive 9: Classic is based on the JMP-1's OD2 channel.
Overdrive 10: Modern provides gain courtesy of the JVM410H Crunch channel at its highest gain change.
Overdrive 11: Deep combines the Bluesbreaker II and JCM800 2203 to blend '80s roar and '70s bottom-end.
Overdrive 12: Detuned provides an aggressive modern metal tone through the Mode Four's menacing OD2 channel and is ideal for down-tuned/baritone guitars.

Lead 13: Deep combines the a boosted Bluesbreaker II pedal and a Haze40 combo for a deep, growling tone.
Lead 14: Solid is based on the original Guv'nor Distortion for a throaty, pedal-driven overdrive.
Lead 15: Classic delivers the "tone shifted" Crunch of the revered JCM2000 DSL Series and enhanced with the Bluesbreaker pedal topology for cutting '90s lead tones.
Lead 16: Modern draws from the JVM410H for an all-around modern lead sound from the amp's OD1 channel.

Katastrophe
June 14th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Cool! How does it compare to the Spider Valve, in terms of effects quality and tones?

Robert
June 14th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Hmm, I didn't play the JMD:1 at louder volumes, but I would say it does the Marshall tones better, but it's lacking the variety of other tones, which the Line 6 has. If you want a ton of Marshall-only tones in a modeling amp, the JMD:1 would be better, but if you want want Fender, Orange, Vox, Soldano, etc tones - the Spider Valve MkII wins. Makes sense?

Audiofan
July 7th, 2010, 02:58 AM
There is another good review here with sound samples:

http://en.audiofanzine.com/modeling-combo-amplifier/marshall/jmd501/editorial/reviews/Marshall-JMD501-Review.html

IMO it's too expensive for what it is. The reviewer didn't like the clean tones.

Robert
July 7th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I didn't like the clean tones much either. Even the distorted tones sounded a bit artificial to me, but perhaps it would sound better when cranked more. I just played it at low volume.