PDA

View Full Version : Not Happy New Amp Day

Robert
June 14th, 2010, 06:53 PM
How bad does it look?

I just got this used Fender Pro Jr from UPS, so I installed the tubes, powered it up and smoke started coming out of them within seconds.

I opened it up and this is what I saw -

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kmpRYJWvkw0/TBaOcJ6StmI/AAAAAAAACCo/oBiNRDqR1qk/s800/P6146876.JPG

duhvoodooman
June 14th, 2010, 07:16 PM
E-w-w-w-w-w, that big filter cap and around it definitely isn't looking good! Actually, the cap may just be singed--looks like it was the resistor below it that went up in smoke.

Calling Tung, calling Tung.....come in, Tung!

Katastrophe
June 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Ewwwwwww. Someone call that amph a doctah!

I hope it's a cheap fix, Robert.

bcdon
June 14th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I'm not an amph doctor, but it's just a cap and a few resistors. The real issue is what caused the blow out.. perhaps you didn't seat the tubes properly.

duhvoodooman
June 14th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Here's a photo off Bill Machrone's site that shows how that section of the board should look. Looks to me like R32, the resistor below the 22 uf filter cap, is what let go:

http://machrone.home.comcast.net/~machrone/bjr/fullboard.jpg

I'm not an amph doctor, but it's just a cap and a few resistors. The real issue is what caused the blow out.. perhaps you didn't seat the tubes properly.
Yeah, exactly. And pray that it didn't take out the power transformer with it....

Eric
June 14th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Here's a photo off Bill Machrone's site that shows how that section of the board should look. Looks to me like R32, the resistor below the 22 uf filter cap, is what let go:

Is that picture a modded board? It looks like there are a couple of wires -- one yellow and one blue -- that aren't in Robert's photo. Maybe those had something to do with it?

Don't know, just my uneducated observation...

duhvoodooman
June 14th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Is that picture a modded board? It looks like there are a couple of wires -- one yellow and one blue -- that aren't in Robert's photo. Maybe those had something to do with it?
Good point! Those wires are part of one of BillM's mods for his Pro Jr. I was just trying to show what the unsinged components in that area of the board were....

BTW, here's a link to a Pro Jr. schematic:

http://www.ampwares.com/schematics/pro_jr.pdf

Looks like R32 is a 2.7 Kohm 2W power resistor that steps the B+ voltage down from 319 VDC to 294 VDC.

sumitomo
June 14th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Robert it's not the 4th of July yet! I heard those were some bad caps but WOW! I haven't seen 'em light up like that before.Good luck with that one.Sumi:D :(

kerc
June 14th, 2010, 08:52 PM
That's ugly.

otaypanky
June 14th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Do you think you may have any recourse with the seller?

wingsdad
June 15th, 2010, 07:15 AM
No way 2 know in hindsight, I s'pose, Robert...but...assuming that you know how to put tubes in correctly, could that damage have been done by the previous owner, which is why they were selling it in cyberspace, not face-to-face?

Their extortionate (isthataword?) fees aside, as bad as UPS can be (to whit: "What can Brown Do for You?"), blaming that frito-boardito on them may be a tad over-the-top. Although it is possible a solder joint cracked or connection came loose in transit, that could happen with the amp in the trunk of anyone's car hitting a bump in the road.

I think the amp was fried b4 it was packed and sent to you.

sumitomo
June 15th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Ah Kimosabe how can I help,I saw your smoke signal.Sumi:D

Robert
June 15th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Who knows what happened to the amp. I can't say for sure. I think I know how to put in tubes correctly, but I should have looked at them as powered up the amp. Perhaps one of the tubes are busted.

The seller already offered to take it back, but I don't want to have spent all this UPS rip off fees for nothing. They charged me over $130 just to let me have this amp, so I would rather get it repaired than to put more money in their nasty little pocketses.

Tig
June 15th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Grrrrrrr!
At least it is repairable.

http://hackedgadgets.com/wp-content/2/_pcb4.jpg
http://www.hydropole.ch/hydropole/hydrogen/imghistory/Hindenburg.gif

Robert
June 15th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks Vood for the schematics link! I dropped it off to a repair guy this morning and he said he needed the schematics before he could go anything. Now I am crossing my fingers that the amp can be fixed without costing me a fortune.

otaypanky
June 15th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I think you and I are being punished for something ~

or maybe out neighbors don't like our loud playing and sabotaged our amps

tunghaichuan
June 15th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Correct. That node is the B+ supply for the EL84 screens. The one good thing is that the resistor blew on top of the board, i.e., not on the trace side. The carbon can cause problems later on if it gets on the PCB's traces.

It is a fairly simple circuit, so any good tech should be able to fix it.

My guess based on the photos is that either one or both of the EL84's screen grids were damaged in shipping; they are not the most robust of tubes. But it is hard to say for sure as I don't have the amp in front of me. Your tech should probably check all the tubes to make sure they are good.

You will want to have the tech check R24 and R25 to make sure they aren't toasted as well. Those could be increased in size. right now they are 100 ohm. Anywhere from 470 ohms to 1.5K ohms would provide more protection for the EL84 screens.

Finally, I've heard bad things about the Illinois caps (marked "ic"). Depending on the age of the amp, you may consider having those replaced when the amp is serviced.

Sorry about your misfortunes with the amp, but hopefully it should be relatively painless to have it fixed.

Tone2TheBone
June 15th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Noooooooo!!! :what :nope :nope :nope

Robert
June 15th, 2010, 10:04 AM
The Gods are punishing me... perhaps because I have too many amps now?

Tone2TheBone
June 15th, 2010, 10:10 AM

Why did it have to be the Pro Jr. though! :thwap

bcdon
June 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Allow me to take some of that bad karma, you got there buddy. Please ship all amphs marked "Marshall" to Vancouver and don't you dare use UPS!! :dance

DeanEVO_Dude
June 15th, 2010, 07:42 PM

Is that even POSSIBLE!? ;)

Cheers!

Robert
June 16th, 2010, 11:17 AM
All is good - I got the amp back today. It sounds great!

What was the problem? I am embarrassed to say - I put the power tubes into the preamp tube sockets, and vice versa... go ahead, slap me twice :thwap :spank :spank

Live and learn...

Eric
June 16th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Haha. Well, live and learn. At least it works now!

Tone2TheBone
June 16th, 2010, 11:33 AM

What was the problem? I am embarrassed to say - I put the power tubes into the preamp tube sockets, and vice versa... go ahead, slap me twice :thwap :spank :spank

Live and learn...

Are you serious?

:spank :spank :spank

Doh! Ya newb! :dude

gregsguitars
June 16th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Bummer....

sumitomo
June 16th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Glad to hear it's all good now,and that is an easy mistake to make.Your a good man to fess up to it.Sumi:D

sunvalleylaw
June 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM
How many swedes does it take to screw in a light bulb? ;)

Just kidding, not like I know anything about installing tubes. Glad it worked out!

duhvoodooman
June 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM
....I think I know how to put in tubes correctly....NOT!! :poke :laughingatyou

As Bugs Bunny used to say, "What a maroon!"

Only joshin' with you, RR. To err is human as they say. Just glad that it turned out to be easily fixed and is running OK for you now.

Obligatory video demo forthcoming, we trust?!?

Robert
June 16th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I deserve all the spank and humiliation!

Just finished recording a demo on the camera, wait a day or two before it's edited and uploaded.

duhvoodooman
June 16th, 2010, 12:14 PM
How many swedes does it take to screw in a light bulb?
Just one, but don't count on it ending up in the right socket.... :rollover

Seriously, looking forward to hearing the demo.

marnold
June 16th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Well, if he posts a video with his underwear on his head, we'll know why.

In all seriousness, I hope that that resistor is the only thing that went bye-bye.

kiteman
June 16th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Finally, I've heard bad things about the Illinois caps (marked "ic"). Depending on the age of the amp, you may consider having those replaced when the amp is serviced.

Sorry about your misfortunes with the amp, but hopefully it should be relatively painless to have it fixed.

You heard right tung. I got a terrific book on tube amps and the author despises ICs as they're pure garbage (in his words) and says replace all of 'em and as a result the amp will sound 10x better.

I hope all the best for you Robert.

EDIT: now that the posts are updated I had thought that Robert switched the tubes.

Tig
June 16th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Glad to hear it's all good now,and that is an easy mistake to make.Your a good man to fess up to it.Sumi:D

I agree with Sumi. You're a good sport, Robert, and you may have just insured that the rest of us never make the same mistake. So at least something positive may come of it.

I won't ask how much $$ this amp has run you.

Oh, I almost forgot to poke fun at you...

http://techbuddha.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/vader-fail.jpg

http://lukey.miauu.info/picsahz/fail/2043-fail-camera.jpg

duhvoodooman
June 16th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I got a terrific book on tube amps and the author despises ICs as they're pure garbage (in his words) and says replace all of 'em and as a result the amp will sound 10x better.
While he doesn't badmouth them, it's interesting to see that Bill Machrone had replaced the IC filter cap in the first filter stage of his Pro Junior in that photo I posted earlier in this thread (repeated below). He states that the two Xicon caps he substituted "....have lower ESR (equivalent series resistance) and better ripple rejection." But he left the IC caps in the 2nd and 3rd filter stages, so he must not consider them "pure garbage".

BTW, his Pro Junior is a newer version (2006) and had a 47 uf IC cap in that first filter stage (Robert's has two 22 uf IC's there). Machrone replaced it with two Xicon 47 uf's to cut the voltage ripple in half.

Robert
June 16th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Ahh well, I have an amp for life now! :) I can never sell it and expect to get back what I paid for it!

So no, don't ask how much it has cost me so far... :cry:

tunghaichuan
June 17th, 2010, 02:08 PM

Live and learn...

Oops :thwap

I'm glad neither the OT or PT were taken out. Live and learn I guess. :dude

M29
June 17th, 2010, 02:13 PM
:socool :D

Robert
June 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Shhhh.... already... move on people.... nothing to see here.

:spank: :munch:

kiteman
June 17th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Shhhh.... already... move on people.... nothing to see here.

:spank: :munch:

See what? :rockya

marnold
June 17th, 2010, 03:04 PM
To quote Red Green: "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!"

sunvalleylaw
June 17th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I can't see nuthin'. Some kinda exxplloosion blinded me!!!

tunghaichuan
June 17th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I can't see nuthin'. Some kinda exxplloosion blinded me!!!

That's why I were prescription safety glasses when I work on amps. I haven't had anything blow up on me yet (knocks on wood.) I did flip molten solder up in my face and missed my eyeball (was not wearing safety glasses at the time) and it made a believer out of me. I never work in my shop without my safety glasses.

sunvalleylaw
June 17th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I have never done any amph work, but good thoughts. I always wear eye protection, for mountain biking, (and road), skiing, mowing the lawn and string trimming, cutting with the chop/table/worm drive saw, etc.