PDA

View Full Version : I guess I just have to give in...

progrmr
June 14th, 2010, 07:35 PM
When playing guitar as a kid - it was all about hard rock/heavy metal...Metallica, Megadeth, Antrax, Testament, Slayer etc.

Over the last couple of years spanning my return to music (to guitar about 4 years ago, then to bass 2 years ago, then back to guitar 2 months ago) I have tried to change my tune - appreciate different music, desire to play different music than the aggressive/angry music I grew up loving - mostly to gain the acceptance of those I'd play for (family, guitar teacher, etc). I've tried lots of blues, some country, some pop folk. But it all seems to be a struggle...I just don't "get" the music from a playing perspective..and listening to that music just doesn't move me.

But when I listen to hard rock be it from the 80's, 90's, or current stuff (new Metallica ;), Disturbed and Shinedown for example) I really feel that music. I want to play it, I want to learn everything I hear.

I think I just have to accept that I like heavy metal and hard rock, and that while some blues and other genres are nice to listen to they just don't move me.

40 years old and stuck in distortion land...!! I don't think I can force myself to like other music. I'd rather learn AC/DC than BB King. I hate to say that because I know what BB King has meant to music overall. But you can't argue with what you really like right?

So what do ya think....just give in and play what I really like until I get tired of it (maybe never) or keep trying to expand musical boundries in spite of the internal resistence..??

Katastrophe
June 14th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Dude. Fly those metal horns proudly! \m/ I'm 38, and dig all styles of music. However, I cut my musical teeth on 70s and 80s hard rock and metal, and it's my favorite.

I figure if Iommi can still rock out at his age, you and I have nothing to worry about! You like what you like, and the only person you have to listen to on that subject is yourself.

Enjoy it, man!

Robert
June 14th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Play what you feel like! There are no rights or wrongs here.

mainestratman
June 14th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Funny.. I feel the EXACT opposite way...

I've peen playing metal/hard rock/80's rock... and have just recently returned to what really moves *me*... Blues.

We've balanced each other out.

Rock on. :beer:

Eric
June 14th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Go for it and feed your metal and rock appetite. IMO music, particularly music you play, has to be something you really enjoy, not just an exercise in "correct" tastes and influences.

Jimi75
June 15th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Go for it! It doesn't matter how old you are or what other people might think!

Up the irons!

:rockya

oldguy
June 15th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Play what YOU love, by all means! That's what it's all about.

Commodore 64
June 15th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Up The Irons!

progrmr
June 15th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Sounds like a unanimous verdict lol! I've really been taking a good look at my playing since I've been feeling anxious and stressed while practicing and playing.

Read most of "effortless mastery" now and realized that I've been forcing myself down a road I don't enjoy. If I want to really enjoy playing again I have to make playing about what I really like, I think that will go a long way towards enjoying music without the stress/anxiety.

FrankenFretter
June 15th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I have a similar musical background. Metal has been what I've been drawn to play for the most part. I do enjoy a lot of other styles though, and now that I'm starting lessons at age 45, I'm finding out how little I actually know. I feel like an idiot sometimes because it takes me so long to cleanly play something that should be simple. When I practice what my teacher wants me to learn, it does sometimes become a bit boring, but I suffer through it for long enough that I don't feel too guilty when I start playing metal again after my lesson practice. I understand how you feel, and I agree with everyone else, you should play what feels good to you.

I'm sure BC Don will back me up on this, but you should look into the Metal Method DVDs (http://metalmethod.com/). A set should cost you about what it would for a couple months worth of lessons. Don't let your metal health drive you mad, my friend.

Eric
June 15th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I feel like an idiot sometimes because it takes me so long to cleanly play something that should be simple.
True dat! I feel that way with anything I don't already know: kind of like "How can I suck this much?"

Tig
June 15th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Looks like everyone agrees... Play your passion!

Hey, I'm a music slut myself. I enjoy all kinds from brutalz chugga-chugga to motown R&B, to punk, to jazz, but when I sit down to play, it is mostly blues based rock, blues, or prog music that emits from my soul and fingers.

Play whatever comes from the deep end of your pool.

oldguy
June 15th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Sounds like a unanimous verdict lol!

Well, sure.
If I had my heart set on a nice, greasy pork chop,:hungry I wouldn't like being told I was getting liver and onions.:spank
Stick with what you love and you'll expand your musical horizons when the time is right.....trust me.

marnold
June 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM
They don't call me Rev. Rawk for nothin'. My horizons have expanded somewhat, but there's nothing like a good ol' power chord with an unseemly amount of gain . . .

riverrick
June 15th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Most definitly gotta play what moves you. Rock on!!!

MAXIFUNK
June 15th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I think I just have to accept that I like heavy metal and hard rock, and that while some blues and other genres are nice to listen to they just don't move me.

DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND LOVE WHAT YOU DO!!!

I love all types of music but as a band if it aint funky it aint for me.
Hard edge funk with a heavy dose of roaring guitars nothing makes me happier.

deeaa
June 15th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I'm the same, 39 and I still pretty much only love driven guitars. Metal, rock, hardrock, anything with driven guitars. I do enjoy also classical music and occasional more mellow tunes, but I pretty much loathe most of the top-ten music and most of the music 'old people' listen to, i.e. country, blues etc. although I did have a bout in somewhat those styles in my late teens.

I can't also understand people who can only really dig the music of their youth, there's a lot of people who only seem to dig the music of their generation and hate all new music...me, I always think the best music is yet to come and there's a constant flow of excellent bands coming all the time but I can still of course respect the idols of my youth just the same. But I do tend to listen to newer stuff the most; Billy Talent, Audrey Horne, Tool, Buckcherry, Danko Jones, stuff like that mostly these days.

otaypanky
June 15th, 2010, 10:49 PM
No sense playing what doesn't come from within.
It wouldn't be a very convincing performance ~

sunvalleylaw
June 15th, 2010, 10:52 PM
After spending a good portion of the winter focusing on some bluegrass picking, and folk oriented stuff with an acoustic jam, and trying to learn a whole lot of jazz type chords, I have gone back to some rock, particularly grunge and punk/garage rock for a while. Needed to rock out for a while and take it less seriously. I will be back into the other stuff too as well. It is fun to mix it up!

ZMAN
June 16th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Sounds like a unanimous verdict lol! I've really been taking a good look at my playing since I've been feeling anxious and stressed while practicing and playing.

Read most of "effortless mastery" now and realized that I've been forcing myself down a road I don't enjoy. If I want to really enjoy playing again I have to make playing about what I really like, I think that will go a long way towards enjoying music without the stress/anxiety.

I agree with everyone, but I think you have to realize as you get older it will be harder to keep up the 80s and 90s Big Hair style.

kiteman
June 18th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Play what you feel. I love metal and hard rock and it's still in my soul even though I'm 60. I like other music but if I were to play it it'll be metalized. :)

Ever hear the Beatles "I Feel Fine" in metal? I did it. :dude

woodchuk
July 13th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I'm with just about everyone else. If what moves you the most is the metal stuff, then go with it. That's what it's all about. It's about having fun, playing your *** off because you CAN, and at the end of the day, saying "That was awesome!" Just because you prefer or gravitate to metal doesn't mean you cannot or do not respect other genres, or that you're too "rebellious" to appreciate more mellow stuff - that's bull. It's merely a preference, and in a perfect world, it wouldn't be a reflection on you anyway. And the people who would think that being a metalhead somehow makes you less of a person (because it's not what you're SUPPOSED to like) really aren't worth impressing in the first place.

Go for it - play your heart out! That's what music is about!