PDA

View Full Version : Boss RC-2 Looper

otaypanky
June 14th, 2010, 10:20 PM
For as long as I can remember I have been a 'guitar-cable-amp' player.
But last year I thought I was going to get a trio together so I started putting a pedal board together thinking some different sounds would add some variety in a trio format. The trio didn't pan out but I have since found another drummer and bassist and I'm trying again to put something together. For a while I have been thinking about a looper and wondering if it would work in a live setting. I have read some posts around the net and lots of guys say no, but there are a few that say yes, with practice, it can be cool. So today I grabbed a Boss RC-2 and what a blast! Even if I never get good enough with it for a live situation it's a lot of fun using it at home. It's a little hokey using the built in beats, but it does hone your timing skills like using a metronome does.
In short, --- a cool tool

FusedGrooves
June 14th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I bought the RC-2 and loved it so much I sold it. . . . to buy the RC-50.....!!!!

Fantastic tools.......ONLY issue I have is when exporting files from RC-50 it does not export the drum pattern used. Of course this function is not available to RC-2 or the RC-20 but would be bloody handy!

otaypanky
June 15th, 2010, 12:05 AM
What surprises me, if I am understanding this thing correctly, is that it seems like I can only peel one layer off? In other words, I can only undo the last loop recorded. Do you know if that is correct FusedGrooves?
Although it's not likely that I would layer so many loops as by that time the music would be so busy, for such a capable little pedal it seems like a huge shortcoming to me if that's all you can 'undo', considering how many loops can be layered.

FusedGrooves
June 15th, 2010, 04:49 PM
What surprises me, if I am understanding this thing correctly, is that it seems like I can only peel one layer off? In other words, I can only undo the last loop recorded. Do you know if that is correct FusedGrooves?
Although it's not likely that I would layer so many loops as by that time the music would be so busy, for such a capable little pedal it seems like a huge shortcoming to me if that's all you can 'undo', considering how many loops can be layered.

Hi Mate,
You are correct, you can only undo the last loop recorded. If you want to record something really decent for say live performances to play over the top of you'd want to get each loop perfect, then SAVE (SAVE SAVE SAVE I can't say this enough LOL) move onto the next one.

There are some limitations to the RC-2, essentially there whole range works the way described above > only benefit for me on the RC-50 is that I have 3 tracks with a pedal for each one > for each phrase so layering is limitless and access is quite good.

RC-2 - a MUST have for EVERY single guitarist for use as a practice tool - really really wish I'd had one of these with , first guitar!! Want to hear that scale over a range of chords - easy just record one strum of that chord and play with scales to your hearts content!
RC-20 for someone who wants the extra footswitching capability with extra recording time.
RC-50 Buy one if you find one cheap - the biggest benefit of this one is the ability to export as WAV files so backups are possible, freeing up your memory to keep recording (last count I had about 200 loops) and just load them on/off as required. RC-50 also has alot more recording space.......but for the size of it should have alot more!!!

My playing and most of all my timing has increased such a huge amount...