PDA

View Full Version : Wow...music theory

Eric
June 15th, 2010, 06:58 AM
I've finally made it through the Ricci Adams' Musictheory.net (http://www.musictheory.net/lessons) and wow...there is a lot to know.

Neapolitan chords, all of these inversions, circle progressions, etc. It really gives me a much greater appreciation for the orchestral composers who not only make complex music, but presumably understand what they're doing when they use all of this theory.

I sometimes wonder if it would seem so complicated if one goes to school for music, since you would be speaking that language every day. Maybe, maybe not.

Anyway, just noting how much music theory there is to learn once you dip your toes in the water. Happily, it's not really that essential for guitaring. :)

MichaelE
June 15th, 2010, 07:05 AM
I had two years of music theory in college along side composition, ear training, and piano.

It's all you do every day. Eat, breath, and sleep music theory.

pes_laul
June 15th, 2010, 07:16 AM
between taking jazz band and choir and music theory classes it's really helped me out as a musician. It takes the knowledge of music and pretty much lets you apply it to anything. (said you know where the notes are) and it also helps you understand how everything works.