PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Costner and BP's gulf oil spill

oldguy
June 15th, 2010, 10:33 AM
As horrendous as the oil spill is, I think this story's pretty damn cool.
Maybe all rich Hollywood movie stars aren't really jerks.

"So what does the “Field of Dreams” actor have to do with all of this? In interviews Monday with “Good Morning America” and CNN, Costner explained he was inspired to create an invention of this type after seeing the damage from the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill. He contributed more than $20 million to create it, and his brother Dan, a scientist, created the actual device."

Whole story here...........

http://fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/06/15/4511802-ocean-of-dreams-kevin-costner-helps-out-with-oil-cleanup?Gt1=43001

Robert
June 15th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I heard James Cameron offered to help too, and BP turned him down.

Cameron said he has offered to help the government and BP in dealing with the spill. He said he was "graciously" turned away by the British energy giant.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100603/en_nm/us_oil_spill_cameron

oldguy
June 15th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Interesting story, Robert. I bet Cameron's right, too. People that are savvy enough to build robotics and film at ocean depths beyond the leak could and should be consulted if they offer to help.

Robert
June 15th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Absolutely, oldguy. Anyone who has information, experience and skill with the matter at hand, and who is trying to help with this massive catastrophe should not be turned down.

markb
June 15th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I think it takes more than CGI to plug an oil spillage :sarcasm

Tig
June 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM
There are several different technologies that could help clean up (check out the "pom-pom"), but far fewer to aid in the deep water sea floor "plumbing" repairs.

I've heard many times in the last month how the government should take over, etc., but the Navy, Coasties, or any other agency simply do not have the technical tools nor experts to do the leak repairs. That all remains in the hands of the experts... the drilling and well emergency services companies.

I spent several years working for a drilling company (land and shallow water jack-up rigs), and learned just how adamant some (unfortunately not all) are about adhering to safety and environmental practices. Sadly, BP and Transocean didn't foster and maintain this level of integrity, and we see just how bad things can get.

The bottom line is, there is no viable, absolute resolution. Damage can be reduced, but not eliminated by all the techniques presented. The problem will continue for quite a while longer, and absolutely no one/company/government can do much to really make the kind of difference it takes to put an end to it. The jeannie is out of the bottle, and man, is it huge!

Simply stated, the spill and problem are far greater than our ability to fix it.

markb
June 15th, 2010, 02:17 PM
... Sadly, BP and Transocean didn't foster and maintain this level of integrity, and we see just how bad things can get.

You forgot Halliburton. I could get very political in this thread so I'll say no more.

Spudman
June 15th, 2010, 02:39 PM
2AAa0gd7ClM

Tig
June 15th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Great video!!! Sadly accurate in some ways.

Markb, I'm trying to keep politcs out of this too, but it isn't easy! :flamemad: I could blast both the present and past policies and actions of our government.

Still, I try to keep it simple and focus what helps or hurts the situation. I try to look at it from a higher altitude (and attitude, sans politics) to see what kind of solutions are being used or available.

My findings are not all that positive, I'm afraid. So far, the mess hasn't infected my area of the coast. That could change with just one strong low pressure weather system...
I remember very small spills causing tar balls to wash up on the beaches for years.

Jimi75
June 16th, 2010, 03:20 AM
This catastrophe is so extensive that every offered help must be checked related to its effectiveness before being turned down.

The Costner story is definitely cool.

Eric
June 16th, 2010, 05:43 AM
There are several different technologies that could help clean up (check out the "pom-pom"), but far fewer to aid in the deep water sea floor "plumbing" repairs.
That's very interesting. This whole thing really depresses me.

SuperSwede
June 16th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Very funny movie Spud! I have to share that one with my FB friends! :D

oldguy
June 16th, 2010, 05:51 PM
That's very interesting. This whole thing really depresses me.

I have major sympathy for any and all persons living on that coast who make their living from those shores. Even if the leak is stopped and the cleanup succeeds, they'll be hurting, not to mention the people who love their coastline but earn their living elsewhere.

Brian Krashpad
June 23rd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Cool about Costner. Talk about money where your mouth is.

We're still deciding whether our planned week-long summer vacation, the first of that length in years, will still happen next month. We have until 2 weeks before to cancel.

We've planned to stay on Cape San Blas, Florida.

http://www.capesanblaspetfriendly.com/AREAPICTURES/Cape_san_Blas_ARial_shot.jpg

Google it.

bigoldron
June 23rd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Cape San Blas is a beautiful resort. It's only about 60 miles East of Panama City and they're already getting tar balls on the beach. Let's hope and pray it gets stopped soon. We're supposed to go to Panama City on July the 7th. Not good folks. They're ruining the Gulf Coast and its sugar white beaches.

Brian Krashpad
June 23rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Cape San Blas is a beautiful resort. It's only about 60 miles East of Panama City and they're already getting tar balls on the beach.

"They" meaning Panama City, or "they" meaning Cape San Blas/Port St. Joe?

Because I just went to site for the latter, where they have a daily video, and they said they had been on the beach and scalloping today and made no mention of any tar balls.

bigoldron
June 23rd, 2010, 08:14 PM
"They" meaning Panama City, or "they" meaning Cape San Blas/Port St. Joe?

Because I just went to site for the latter, where they have a daily video, and they said they had been on the beach and scalloping today and made no mention of any tar balls.

Sorry about the confusion Brian. Panama City is getting tar balls now. According to one place we talked to today, the balls are small and are being cleaned off the beach daily, but who knows how long that can continue. Got a feeling that it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Cross your fingers and pray that a solution is found soon!