PDA

View Full Version : Cyber-Champ

Justaguyin_nc
November 24th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Well, Price and Name got me.. I know I like the Fender sounds... Tweed, BlackFace etc. and was toying with the idea of a Cyber-Deluxe but being the tightwad I am.. I seen the Cyber-Champ at MusiciansFriend for $299.00 plus another $20.00 off for some Stairways to Heaven sale they are running. Looking around at other vendors I noticed this thing sells for $400-$450 well heck this is a pretty good sale so I kept wondering.. VOX 50 - $359.00 Vox 30 - $249.00 Cyber-Deluxe $499.00 Cyber-Champ $279.00 so I started comparing the 4 in the ballpark.. Well, Vox 30 I kept telling myself was small on watts and a 10 inch speaker.. down to 3.. Well, The VOX50 has it all.. Sound Clips are awesome.. except the darn quality reviews online which I must say scare the hell out of me.. Down to 2.. Cyber-Deluxe's price also scares me..lol.. so with the only one left in my feeble wisdom.. Cyber-Champ wins.. 5 Year warranty from fender and 21 settings.. with this review below probably helping me finish wondering and just hit the ORDER button..

Review:
Sustains like a tube amp. Can scream with a tubescreamer in front of it."
Sound:
Sounds like a tube amp only not quite. Get it? Much better than the Vox Valvetronix (good but muffled sounding) and the Line 6 Flextone III (good with rhythm but NO SUSTAIN!). This amp sustains and sings like a good tube amp, especially when I put my new Maxon OD-808 in front of it. I tend to favor the Deluxe 65 and the Princeton 65 as they cut through in my band's mix the best.

and other reviews stating this:
I have been playing guitar since 1970, and I'm a tube man all the way. I think amps have finally turned the corner in so much as the day of the tube is about over. This amp sounds awesome. I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that is going on ebay. This amp is 1000 times more versitile.

Plus talk like this in the Fender Forums:
Argo, you're right about the weight & I was pleasantly surprized how it has "cloned" the small classic Fender tube amp sound. There's not a dimes worth of difference between it & my 65 Princeton Rev and comes very close to my buddy's DRRI. Like you said, WOW!!!

The MIDI on this probably was a big push for me also seeing I already own a Behringer FCB1010 foot controller.... along with the celes 12 inch speaker and the fender sound I hope I will be happy (at least for a year or so..:)).. will see in about a week when it arrives.. if nothing else they have the 45 day return policy..

Amp Ad:

Blackface cosmetics plus Cyber amp replication and effects for a very sweet price!

21 presets built on a variety of analog preamp voicings and a full palette of handcrafted DSP effects provide astounding tonal versatility. 7 user presets and patented Virtual Tone Interpolation circuitry that instantly reconfigures the basic hardware building blocks of preamp, tone stack, and effects to accurately reproduce the sounds of many different classic and modern amps.

Fender® Cyber-Champ Guitar Combo Amp Features:
Blackface cosmetics
65W power section
Premium 12" Celestion speaker
21 presets
Handcrafted DSP effects
7 user presets
Virtual Tone Interpolation circuitry accurately reproduces the sounds of many different classic and modern amps
Hum reduction circuit
Digital chromatic tuner
Headphone out
MIDI
Works with Cyber-Foot controller
18-1/2"W x 17-1/4"H x 9-1/2"D
30 lbs.

Nelskie
November 24th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Justa - Congrats on the new amp! The Cyber Champ was my first foray into the world of digital modeling combos. It's a fine little amp that just "oozes" that delicious Fender vibe and tone. The vintage Blackface cosmetics are absolutely spot-on, and way cool. As a matter of fact, I liked the look and sound of it so much, I ended up buying the "big dog" of the Cyber line - the Cyber Twin, and I am in total tone heaven!! The Champ features some very solid effects - a good delay, chorus, and a most excellent tremelo. I liked having the (7) spots to save my favorite settings, too (I believe that bank is called the "Players Lounge".) While I wasn't so totally sold on the Champ's OD tones (maybe I'm just too much of an old 80's metal head), I'd bet lining up one your pedals in front of it would cure that in a hurry. Anyways - prepare yourself to be "camped" in front of it for the next few weeks, tweaking and exploring it's many tonal possibilities. If you're like me, your face will hurt from smiling so much! :D

Justaguyin_nc
November 25th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks Nelskie, I assume the presets in the cyber-champ that name match those in the Cyber-Twin sound alike comming out? Red House etc.. I have not heard to many sound samples of the Cyber-champ nor can I find many.. but after hearing the Deluxe and twin sounds.... the price just grabbed me and pulled me in.. Seems most user comments like the stock presets in this amp from the start.. and those 7 extra will make me extra happy I am sure ..maybe this will pull me into the Big Dog someday too... for now I best be happy with this puppy.... ;)

Nelskie
November 27th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Justa - You are correct in your assumption that the modeled sounds amongst the Cyber Series amps are one and the same. The bank of Fender vintage amps (Twin Reverb, Virbolux, Super Reverb, etc.) are easily the best of those that are on the amp (at least in my opinion), though the Vox AC-30 sim ain't half bad. If you're a Fender tone afficianado, that bank of sounds (I believe they're in Bank # 2) will please you right out of the box. Half the fun of this amp is tweaking, and you'll surely discover some other tones in there that you like, as well.

I also agree with your observation that there isn't too much in the way of samples / sound bytes out there for this amp. If you'd ask me, I'd tell you that the Fender Cyber Series amps have "flown under the radar" for quite awhile, and I'm not sure why. Vox has definitely capitalized on the success of their AD-VT line of modeling amps. Unlike Fender, the Vox web site actually has sound bytes, which helps potential buyers get an idea of what the amp sounds like. I know if I was in the market to buy an amp, I'd sure like to know what it sounded like. Especially if I'm going to pay $500 or more for it!!

Anyways - you'll have to post a review once you get your amp, and have a chance to play it for a few weeks. I'll be curious to know what sounds you like best. Have fun with your Champ! :D

Justaguyin_nc
November 28th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Actually, When you take away all the dial in knobs and inputs/outputs available on the Cyber Deluxe and get down to the sounds available, I am assuming they both have them all... I think the secret with the Champ is just taking some time and programing the MIDI instead of turning a knob to put in what sounds you wish and they are all there.
MIDIOX Utility can be used Till the day someone makes an interface frontend such as those used with the V-Amp,POD,J-Station etc. this may be confusing to some but the sounds are in this so-called little brother just waiting to breakout!

Breaking the two models down by sounds comes out like this:

Amp Types
Deluxe TWEED 1-3 Clean,Crunch,High
Champ Custom Shop presets A&C, Amp Collection presets A&B, Player's
lounge preset C

Deluxe BLACKFACE 1-3 Clean,Crunch,High
Champ Custom Shop preset D, Amp Collection presets C&D, Player's
lounge presets B&E

Deluxe DYNA-TOUCH 1-4 Clean,High,Higher,Max
Champ Custom Shop preset G, Amp Collection preset E, Player's lounge
presets F&G

Deluxe BRITISH 1-3 Crunch,High,Higher
Champ Custom Shop preset F, Amp Collection presets F&G, Player's
lounge preset A

Deluxe MODERN 1-3 Max Modified Combo,Max Heavy Metal Stack,Max Heavy
Metal Combo
Champ Custom Shop preset E, Player's lounge preset D

Deluxe Reverb 1-6
Champ's 4
Plus:
Plate - simulates a recording studio plate reverb system with bright,
yet warm timbres.

Ambient - simulates the sound of a very small accoustic space.

Mod Efx 1-6
Champ's 5
Plus:
WAH - 2 types touch and pedal

Delay 1-3
Same

Not much difference for the $200.00.. as far as sounds go..
:R

Nelskie
November 28th, 2005, 05:24 PM
It sounds like you have this pretty much figured out. We'll be waiting to hear about the results.

Tim
November 28th, 2005, 06:58 PM
It don't take you long to figure things out and get down playing the guitar. I priced that amp last week at GC. It did not come close to what you got yours for. I believe you stole the amp from right under MFs eyes.

Enjoy your pickin'

Tim

Justaguyin_nc
November 29th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Did you take it for a test run and listen to it tim?
If so what did you think?

Let's hope MF's didn't see me comming..

heh..:eek:

Tim
November 29th, 2005, 04:46 AM
I plucked on it for a few minutes, but the ticket price was beyond my budget. There were too many things that needed to be tweaked in order to get the different sounds out of it. I am not that experienced in amp tones … yet. I believe the cost was $699.00.

Nelskie
November 29th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Tim - the settings and controls on Cyber Champ aren't any harder to figure out than those on your Vox AD30VT - maybe even a bit easier. Like I always say, "Tweak, and ye shall find"!!

And $699 for the Cyber Champ at Guitar Center??!! Holy buckets!! That's highway robbery!! MF is blowing these out for (3) Benjamins - what a STEAL!! Esp. for a 65W combo w/ a Celestion that gets really, really loud!! Button down the hatches, Justa', your neighbors will be poundin' at your door!! :eek:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/480725/

Justaguyin_nc
November 30th, 2005, 02:57 AM
My Cyber Champ arrived today, actually yesterday already.... ahhh the smell of a fender.. I have the G12T-100 Celestion in this one.. not going to comment on the sounds for awhile.. But it looks likes a fender.. smells likes a fender.. it just has to have all the sounds likes the fenders... :) co'mere ya little cutie... The Honeymoon period has started!

Nelskie
December 1st, 2005, 02:48 PM
Funny you should use the word "honeymoon" in your post, as I've often felt that playing guitar is a lot like being married. I've even told my wife the same. She just tells me that I'd "better have my priorities straight". Of course, I just smile and say, "Yes, honey". If momma ain't happy, there ain't no new gear!! :D

My Hallmark card to you: "Here's wishing you and the Cyber many happy years together!"

Justaguyin_nc
December 8th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Ok Im still on the Honeymoon.. and the little champ is making me happy..
Hear is what she can sound like..

The 65 Princeton Reverb is well..a 65 Princeton Reverb..:)

That should be a good Variety of what a Cyber Champ Sounds like.

Nelskie
December 8th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Hey Justa! Glad to hear the honeymoon is going well. BTW - I dig the classic VH flavor on the "Stadium Rock" sample. And is that . . . "Tin Pan Alley" on the '65 Reverb? I may just have to join you in posting a few of my own Fender "designed" tones?!!! Can a Fret.Net "Cyber Following" be far behind? Stay tuned . . . ;)

Justaguyin_nc
December 9th, 2005, 12:14 PM
With the Cyber-Champ Selling at $299.00 and the Cyber-Deluxe at $499.00 I can't see how a Cyber Following wouldn't be to far behind...:)

Robert
December 9th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I'd like to hear more about comparisons between the Fender Cyber series the Vox AD series - which one do you like better? I haven't had the chance to try a Cyber amp yet.

Justaguyin_nc
December 11th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I have not played on a VOX so I can not compare them..All I know about a Vox is the nice tones and playing you get out of it on your clips Robert.. So far I am happy with the Champ... Review much later...

Justaguyin_nc
January 14th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Honeymoon still going on.... all I can say at this price range one would be foolish not to look into this amp... even the presets are useable...with 7 being able to be saved with your own ideas... Looking in the ads it looks like you need a degree in MIDI to run this amp.. NOT.. although it helps and more is available with the Midi hookup (computer controls etc..) and you will need a Midi pedal for preset switching (any midi pedal will work im pretty sure) which if you get like the FCB1010 can also easily be set up to turn the effects to other settings or on and off plus a tuner that actually works on and off. It's a very easy amp to run with the knobs and buttons alone, allowing you just about all the options you will ever need in any type music... Sound is that of the Cyber-Deluxe if you cannot find cyber-champ clips, sound clips would be the same basiclly unless they use AUTO-WAH which is the only effect that is not on the champ.. If you like the sound of Fender amps... this has them in spades..clean to dirty.. tweeds..tubes.. bassman, deluxe, deluxe reverb, princeton reverb, modern princeton dsp which actually showed me some nice dyna-touch clean sounds for my like'ns.. plus the marshall and vox sounds with and without HIGH and HIGHER gains... very sweet and nice reverb modeling from room to arena's.. really nice.. plus assorted delay's from taping to digital and echo with all the right sounds... tremelo, phaser, chorus, vibratone (cool).. everything sounds top notch to me... tap tempos etc... its all there...Plus the Fender Black Face look.. jewel powerlite and all.. if there was one thing bad I could say about this cyber-champ it would be I didn't have two of them... which by the way will daisy chain together and turn to stereo with the midi setup... hmmm maybe putting the Midi on the back instead of the front would been a plus..but thats just looking at the cable running out of it as I type...still pretty clean looks with lights and all.. the 12' Celestion G12T-100 100 watt speaker alone sells for about $100.00... and the sound it produces from this 65 watt Fender... sweet.. sweet sweet... is all I can say.. volume and master control so you can adjust and get the tone loud or soft.. you also have the option of Lineout/headphone out which actually does reproduce what you set up.. Only thing I can figure is the list of $650.00 and street at around $500.00 was a bit more then people wanted to shell out without tubes.. but now with the $299 price tag shipped its a no brainer.. (never said I had one) This was not a review... I was just taking a break from playing as my jaw hurts from smiling so much listening to this amp in spite of my playing...
heh :R :R

Justaguyin_nc
January 30th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Im still going at this amp like a newlywed on ******... always on!! Im starting to figure the sounds I favor for now.. seems the 59 Bassman settings (Hang Ten, Psychbilly, Red House, 55 deluxe,) are being played more now then the blackface.. till its time for some Crunch in a princeton or deluxe reverb... Playing with delay has shown me the dials can achieve about everything I would want it to.. from short to long... and the dial in reverbs..wow... so many sounds... Only short comming I have found so far is the phaser.. although it can be adjusted internaly with midi.. the dial just does not give me enough adjustment for my taste... I try the brit models for Hard Rock.. but still trying to learn how to play such music... more laid back sounds come out of me then 80 hairdays... I guess playing slow still makes you slow everything down huh.. This is one fine amp imho.. I have noticed the deluxe version has dropped to 449.00.. tempting.. more user storing there.. but I really have no reason behind it... this does it all in spades! I still love it!! com'ere baby...

Tone2TheBone
January 30th, 2006, 04:30 PM
You guys make getting new stuff sound awfully fun!

Nelskie
January 30th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Justa' - I can't remember if there were any Dyna-Touch models on the Cyber Champ. I've dialed in some very nice crunchy tones with the Dyna-Touch model(s) on my Cyber Twin.

Justaguyin_nc
January 30th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Ahhh yes the Dyna touch... Boris Chorus, Princeton 65DSP and Jazzbox presets... can get smooth to High gain... Don't make me start with other presets... Im trying to settle in a place and can't... its like a candy store of sounds... and im 6.... sheesh...

Nelskie
March 14th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Actually, When you take away all the dial in knobs and inputs/outputs available on the Cyber Deluxe and get down to the sounds available, I am assuming they both have them all... I think the secret with the Champ is just taking some time and programing the MIDI instead of turning a knob to put in what sounds you wish and they are all there. MIDIOX Utility can be used Till the day someone makes an interface frontend such as those used with the V-Amp,POD,J-Station etc. this may be confusing to some but the sounds are in this so-called little brother just waiting to breakout.

So, if I'm understanding your correctly, I could send you the specs of some of my Cyber Twin modeled tones, and you could program them into your Cyber Champ using the aforementioned MIDI software / program? I do have a few dandies that I think you might just dig. Us Fender Cyber dudes gotta' stick together, ya' know.

I also found a link w/ some Cyber Twin Settings - perhaps you could use some of these as a reference point. They also offer a pretty nifty Windows-based MIDI editing program for *FREE*, so maybe that's something you might be interested in, too. Here's the link:

http://www.patchwizard.com/pw_FCTPP01.htm

tot_Ou_tard
March 14th, 2006, 06:55 PM
You musta' got the last one. Unless, I screwed up my search, I'll I could find on MF was a blem cyber champ for $389.

Nelskie
March 14th, 2006, 08:49 PM
tot - I believe when they had those Cyber Champs on sale at MF, they had limited quantities. At $299, I'm sure they got snapped up in a hurry. I'd keep an eye on Ebay, though - I've seen a few at or around that price. And they're cool little amps, too - tons o' tones.

Justaguyin_nc
March 15th, 2006, 01:36 AM
So, if I'm understanding your correctly, I could send you the specs of some of my Cyber Twin modeled tones, and you could program them into your Cyber Champ using the aforementioned MIDI software / program? I do have a few dandies that I think you might just dig. Us Fender Cyber dudes gotta' stick together, ya' know.

I also found a link w/ some Cyber Twin Settings - perhaps you could use some of these as a reference point. They also offer a pretty nifty Windows-based MIDI editing program for *FREE*, so maybe that's something you might be interested in, too. Here's the link:

http://www.patchwizard.com/pw_FCTPP01.htm

The Cyber-Twin I think has way more features then the deluxe and champ plus the tube pre-amp..so I doubt this would work with a CT to CC.... I have also found that place with Deluxe and Twin patches and they seem different.. The Deluxe I believe to be a Champ.. with power controls and a very few other effects plus alot more USER saves for patches... same power... same speaker.. and the Deluxe Audio Clips I have heard are also the same sound... Someday maybe people will start making Patches for the Champ... I am just pleased with what it already has in it and messing with them...and a bit of midi digging when I get a feeling for it..

I hear fender has dropped both the Cyber-Deluxe and the Cyber-Champ this year...could be reason they are selling half price or they had been selling half price... maybe they are comming out with another Cyber series more like the G-DEC.. or with Tube pre like the CT... in any case..if you can find a Cyber-Champ for $300... it's a good buy in my book if you like that Fender Clean sound and some dirt here and there..... shhhh... the VOX guys will hear us...;)

:R

I just did a search... Only two places seem to have them left and they both selling for $400.00.. zzounds.com and samedaymusic.com seems like it's time for Ebay..

tot_Ou_tard
March 15th, 2006, 07:53 AM
tot - I believe when they had those Cyber Champs on sale at MF, they had limited quantities. At $299, I'm sure they got snapped up in a hurry. I'd keep an eye on Ebay, though - I've seen a few at or around that price. And they're cool little amps, too - tons o' tones.

Naw, Nelskie. I was just curious. I am not in the market for a new amp now.

A pedal or two, yes....a new geetar?....I gotta control the GAS on that one.

Tim
July 26th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Justa - Now that you have owned this amp for a while, can you provide an update on how do you like this amp? I too amp partial to the Fender sound (Blackface) and I am thinking of upgrading from the VOX AD30VT to this amp. I especially like the idea of being able to store more than two amp styles and using more than one effect.

Justaguyin_nc
August 11th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Justa - Now that you have owned this amp for a while, can you provide an update on how do you like this amp?

Sorry I missed this when you posted Tim...

UpDate: I really really really like the sounds I can make from this amp. At times certain sounds can have a slight humm/hiss but those are usually the High Gain presets and every amp does that. As you know Fender dropped this amp along with the Cyber-Deluxe this year and hopefully will come out with one with more features and the same sound. The more I play the amp the more I like it. It's light and perfect for in-home/studio use. I can find a preset to adjust to those sounds of blues, jazz and rock I search for. This amp sounds like FENDER because it is a Fender.. who else could make a better blackface sound. From a few presets you can get about any fender sound you like.... I am leaning more towards the 65 Deluxe Reverb here lately.. but I have a few to choose from when I want a change.. 49 Champ 55 Deluxe 65 Princeton Reverb Princeton 65 DSP. The Reverb is Fender sound and nice.. from spring to arena, the Delays are very good to my ears from digital to tape to ducking.. Then you also have your Tremelo, Flanger and Chorus and last but not least Vibratone which are all very usable imho... tap buttons available to adjust as needed, deep programing the effects allow you to change them any way you wish... or just use the knobs which I do most the time with great results for me... I can play Strats, tele's and even my Nylon through this amp and find a sound I am pleased with..

Plus there is always the British Invasion and Vintage British Crunch to throw in. I have yet to think I made an error in getting this amp..

Everything records into your computer through the headphones/lineout without losing the cabs etc...

I think you should look on Ebay and at least grab one to try out.. you can always sell it again the same way. they seem to be going $250.00 and up..
I was thinking of getting another to chain them in stereo which they can do through the Midi connector , changing all setting on each amp on the fly and adding to the effect..

The User bank allows for more storage of your own presets (7) although you will be hard pressed on figuring out which preset there to over write as they are all good imho..

The Cyber-Champ still gets the thumbs up from me.. and will be with me till I can afford a Cyber-Twin SE.. or maybe a Cyber-Deluxe at least for a few more user presets but same sound

Oh Tim and the top reason these must be good amps... Nelskie owned one.. and now has the Twin SE..;)

Nelskie
August 11th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I was thinking of getting another to chain them in stereo which they can do through the Midi connector , changing all setting on each amp on the fly and adding to the effect . . .
You know, Justa, I was trying to remember if the Cyber Champ had a ext. cab out jack or not. If it did have an ext. out, the Tech 21 Power Engine might also be a good option to run your Champ in stereo. The PE is basically just a clean power source - so it sounds just like whatever you're running into it. I have a PE 60 that I run with my PODxt, and it's L-O-U-D. Yet at the same time, it works great for low-volume home practice. I wrote a bit about the PE under this thread:

http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=4457&postcount=1

Oh Tim and the top reason these must be good amps... Nelskie owned one.. and now has the Twin SE..;)
Ha ha ha! Gee, maybe I can get an endorsement deal with Fender . . . ? :D Yeah, I really liked my Cyber Champ. So much, in fact, that I moved up to the "big dog" - the Cyber Twin (mine's not an SE, tho'). If I could have only one amp, the CT's the one I'd get - - hands down. ;)

Tim
August 12th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks guys for the information. My search and GAS has now taken over my senses. The hunt is on!

Justaguyin_nc
August 12th, 2006, 09:22 AM
You know, Justa, I was trying to remember if the Cyber Champ had a ext. cab out jack or not.

Nope, On the Cyber-Champ there is no ext. cab out unfortunately.. There is something neat about having two cyber-champs hooked together thru their Midi though.. double my User Presets (14) and they both could share them at the same time..:) I best quit thinking about this before I get around a $300.00 bill on Ebay.. I have been thinking about it for some time though.. Would be nice hearing some stereo effects from one side of this room to the other and back out of the Celestions..:)

Justaguyin_nc
August 12th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys for the information. My search and GAS has now taken over my senses. The hunt is on!

Good luck in the search Tim... I think it would make a great addition to the VOX..

Ebay Search : http://search.ebay.com/Cyber-Champ_W0QQfromZR40QQsatitleZCyberQ2dChamp

;)