PDA

View Full Version : Getting a good recorded guitar tone can be hard

Robert
June 17th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I recorded my amps for a bit yesterday. I don't like what the computer captured! No matter how I try mic placement, it sounds very dull and dead.

I have an SM57, Golden Age Project Pre-73, Apogee Duet and a Mac with Logic.

I am going to try bypassing my GAP Pre-73 and use the Duet's mic pre to see if there is a difference.

With the Duet and the Pre-73, I could use either one's preamp, or I could even use the preamp in both, meaning 2 preamps in succession. I suspect that may not produce the best sound though? I guess I will test this and find out.

I am starting to think my SM57 could be screwed up. I think I'll pick up a cheap Samson condenser mic from the local store and compare. If it sounds better, well that would be the answer then.

I think I have made a bunch of videos with so-so sound, not because of the gear I used, but because some weak link in my chain of recording gear. All the videos I made with the Line 6 Spider Valve for example, sounded much better in real life than what the microphone recorded. Same with the Marshall Class 5.

I honestly get better tone right now with my camcorder's microphone. Perhaps I should just continue using it for demos... :zzz

Tone2TheBone
June 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Use your old camera I keep telling you! Why do you think you have so many fans now? It's because of your old videos playing the Vox recorded with your old camera!

deeaa
June 17th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I hear you...remember, a mic is NOT an ear...it's all about CORRECTING the mic to sound like you hear it. USE EQ, use compression, tweak that sucker! It will exaggerate some freqs, eat some out. It won't show the nuances until you compress 'em up!

The reason the camcorder sounds good is it is a directional condenser with in-built compression and freq.correction.

Close miking works fine for mixing with far-off sound, not alone, unless the idea is to get a great sound on a mix and to punch thru. Otherwise, you need to take it in from a little off and COMPRESS the sucker and use EQ to correct the mic's mistakes/differences to the ear.

A mic is real small. Put a toilet paper roll over your ear and listen to the amp thru that. Where does it sound the best? Put the mic there.

Or just use a directional mic and compress and tweak it to make it better...

Robert
June 22nd, 2010, 07:49 AM
I used my supercheap MXL 990 condenser mic last night, and it really sounded good on my amp! It's a bit noisy though, but the tone from my guitar was much more natural sounding than before (when I used my SM57).

I am kind of thinking my SM57 could have been dropped too many times, and could be damaged inside. Is that possible? That would explain why it's not sounding as good as I want it to.

deeaa
June 22nd, 2010, 09:35 AM
I doubt it...they can take a LOT of abuse.

If I could only have one mic to do it all from drum recordings to vocals and guitar, it'd be a 57 no doubt. That's what I usually use on vocals too, although I have a very good large diaphragm condenser as well.

BUT it was never designed to deliver the sound you hear a few feet off the source...a condenser is much better for 'what you hear' kind of recordings without lots of EQ and compression etc.